PDA

View Full Version : 3M PPS question.

Murf
12-14-2006, 05:07 AM
Hey Len, Can you tell me what adapter I need for the PPS system on the Astro LVLP? Also, what is your opinion of the PPS system in general? Thanks!

Murf

Len
12-14-2006, 07:34 AM
3M doesn't specify which one for that gun. I guess it's like buying parts for guns, you can't really get much for the low end (Asian made) guns.

As far as the PPS system goes I've used it a few times and find that I have them on my paint bench but rarely use them. It costs about $2 each time you use it and the two advantages it offers is that you can spray at any angle and you don't need to clean the cup. If you're doing a standard paint job then the spraying angles can be covered by any standard cup and the cup cleaning isn't that big a deal. In a production environment it does offer a small time saving since you just toss the liner instead of cleaning the cup but for most hobbyists it's more "bling" than function.

Dennis N. Schmidt
12-14-2006, 05:58 PM
This uses the SATA Nr95 (Male threads on the gun body femail threads in the cup.) connection as do almost all of the knock off guns. So go with the adapter listed for the Nr95.

Dennis N. Schmidt
12-14-2006, 06:07 PM
I don't use PPS but rather the DeVilbiss DeKups system and I really like it. It's particularly great for primer and color. For clear the ability to shoot upside down is valuable but if you're not spraying anything that requires this ability I don't think it's that necessary.

The best is polyester surfacer which is a bitch to clean out of a gun. With DeKups you use the little squirt bottle and thirty seconds later you're done cleaning. The conventional way is very laborious a polyester and 2K primers are very sticky and hard to clean from the gun.

Color is easy as well. The DeKups cost about $1 per use and they are easily refillable with a cool little funnel DeVilbiss sells for that express purpose.

I know this subject has caused great debate but I really like it particularly for primer. When I look at the cost of rags, lacquer thinner and my personal aggravation I don't consider $1 a shot is that bad.

Murf
12-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Dennis, Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was thinking also. When I'm using 2k and blocking it seems like I spend as much time cleaning guns as anything. Is there an online source for the DeKups? I would like more info. I will Google for them also.

Len, Thanks for your input also.

Later, Murf