PDA

View Full Version : 2k urethane ss paint as a primer

reflections7
12-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Ok ,ok I know. But a lot of show car painters base clear then sand the clear and reclear again. I know of someone who one a super chevy show painting a black car ss then wet sandinding and clearing it. I went to buy a gallon of lesonal black and it was over 200. I asked a price on a cheaper line of ss urethane and it was 79 a gallon for factory pack with hardner. the car is primed and sanded with featherfill g2 black.
Just curious. I probably will use ppg global base 9300 black and clear it. just curious on this. also would you ever use left over 2kss in a pinch to get rid of it as a primer?

Dennis N. Schmidt
12-07-2006, 02:30 PM
There is absolutely no reason not to. All topcoats can in fact be used as primers. The only exception to this is etch primer which has the function of cleaning the metal to insure a subsequent bond to it.

2K urethane primer is basically clearcoat loaded with fillers (talc added to make the stuff sand easily) and extenders (quartz) to make the good stuff (the actual urethane resin) go further. I have often done what you suggest with no problems whatsoever.

Hannibal
12-07-2006, 02:34 PM
yeah, and you need less base coat for good coverage. I think it gives better depth by having the preimer matched to your base. Try painting yellow over grey primer. It doesnt look right for some reason unless you put ten coats.

68-chevyman
12-07-2006, 07:04 PM
yeah, and you need less base coat for good coverage. I think it gives better depth by having the preimer matched to your base. Try painting yellow over grey primer. It doesnt look right for some reason unless you put ten coats.

Any one ever put ten coats of paint,. I have and Im not wanting to do it again (pop, pop, pop,......)

Hannibal
12-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Any one ever put ten coats of paint,. I have and Im not wanting to do it again (pop, pop, pop,......)

LOL Made me think of that sound when you put milk on rice krispies cereal :cool: That would be funky to hear your paint make that sound:eek: