PDA

View Full Version : Door alignment

tmm
01-14-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm in the process of putting my 65 Mustang project back together and ran into a problem today. I can't get the passenger door to align properly at the bottom. Before I glued on the weatherstriping I assembled the door with the latch, the door glass and tracks, and I also installed the new exterior door handle,...all aligned great. I glued on the weatherstriping last night and today I go to close the door and when it latches, the bottom of the door at the bottom of the jamb is sticking out beyond the quater panel. I've tried all day nearly to adjust it but nothing I do seems to help. I even did the old dollar trick by placing the bill between the jamb and the weatherstrip all around the door but it seems to be the same tension all around the door. Any suggestions on how to fix this before I move on to the drivers door? Thanks,... Tim

Phil V
01-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Does it stick out on the bottom the full length of the bottom of the door or just in the front or the back ? Its common for new door gaskets (especially aftermarket ones) to be a little stiff when they're first installed. But not so stiff that they actually push the door out. How are the rest of the gaps ? (front and back of the door). I never install a door gasket until the door is in place and lined up correctly. If you changed the adjustments for the door wing vent window and the roll up window they can be a real bugger to get lined up correctly. If that also is the case then start with the wing vent window first then the roll up glass.

Phil V
01-14-2006, 11:48 PM
I should have added that glass alignment and the bottom of the door alignment are two completely separate deals. Although the door sheet metal has to be properly aligned before you attempt aligning the door glass.

tmm
01-15-2006, 07:12 AM
Phil V,... the door sticks out on the bottom in the back only. The rest of the alignment looks good. Now saying all this I don't know if this would matter but I did have to put an aftermarket door skin on this door back in the summer. It took me a while to get the door gaps even all around by welding and grinding on the edges. When I painted the car I painted the jambs with the doors off and then aligned them before I cleared everything. Like I stated in my first post everything fitted perfecty until I glued the door gasket on Friday nite. I even made sure that I glued on the gasket properly since I have an extra original factory door with the factory gasket to compare to. I got frustrated with it yesterday and finally walked away from it. I've run out of ideas now and don't know where to start this afternoon when I start back on it. I didn't mention in my first post but yesterday I did remove the wing vent thinking that it might be binding there someplace but that did not help. FYI,.. I replaced every gasket/rubber seal on both doors with aftermarket. Thanks for you help! Tim

68-chevyman
01-15-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm stumpit
I thought I knew every thing.
????????
did you weld the door skin on really good?

tmm
01-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Yes,... the door skin is welding on properly and very well. I decided today to remove the gasket but not before I cut the bottom half from the center of the door to the rear edge to see if this could be holding the door from closing properly. I had to cut more than half from the bottom to get it to close and latch flush with the quarter panel. Although the aftermarket gasket was new still in the package when I installed it, I did buy it about 7 years ago. So I don't know if it was a poor quality reproduction or it become hard over a period of time or what but I'm going to order another one tomorrow hopefully from another vendor. Tim