PDA

View Full Version : Picklex 20 question

TheCoatingStore.com

Mcgoo
01-14-2006, 05:10 PM
I have a 67 Mustang that has been bead blasted down to metal. Do I need to use the picklex on the whole car or just the areas that were rusty before blasting? I am going to use DP epoxy on the car to protect it and do my body work over top the DP. But where do I use the Picklex? The blasting took away all the rust. Thanks

Lost in NJ
01-15-2006, 08:05 AM
There are many answers to your question.

The best answers are usually in the tech sheets. In this case DP can be appied directly to bare sandblasted metal. If you did not sandblast you would have to sand with 80 to 180 grit first.

They also go on to say a conversion coating will enhance the adhesion.

If you looks at there conversion coating you will find they do some kind of pre coat and then some kind of phosphate coating.

My understanding is that the epoxy seals so effectively that the microscopic rust that may have formed or stuff you left behind is just not able to get the moisture to continue rusting. So just painting directly over top the sandblasted metal is fine. But you are really supposed to paint over the bare steel right away.

That being said. I think I would tend to coat with pickelx first. You would want to order it ASAP as you do not want to leave the metal unprotected for very long.

Also if you are in a cold area keep in mind that the epoxy paint may not cure right if the paint gets too cold during its curing process.

I will say there are many different ideas on which way to go. I do not know which is scientificly proven to be the best. When in doubt read the tech sheets.

Keep in mind if you are just slapping the car together and only care about it for a few years than you can do almost anything and you will be ok.

Mcgoo
01-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info. I have ordered the Picklex and should receive it in about 5 days. The blaster got done with it quicker than he said and now the car must sit for about a week in metal. It is in my heated shop and I also I sit a dehumidifier in front of it to help. But your saying I should coat the whole car with picklex, then DP it? I do want it to last, this is not just a quicky job.
So if it sits that long you think I should sand the car before applying the picklex? Thanks for the help.

Len
01-15-2006, 12:07 PM
As long as the metal was blasted clean it won't rust enough in the next week to require sanding before the Pickex is applied. Even if you see a little flash rust the Picklex will make it disappear. Apply the Pickex (spray or brush) over 3 or 4 square feet at a time, work it in with a scuff pad, wipe it off and allow it to dry. Before you apply your epoxy primer scuff the surface with a scuff pad or sandpaper.