PDA

View Full Version : panel repair Rust questions

TheCoatingStore.com

ngc414
11-30-2006, 09:10 PM
I recenty purchaced a 81 trans am. I found a few spots on the rear quarters that need replaced. I have cut out the rust to good metal. 2 patches are around 5x3 inches and one is small 1x2 inches. Can panel adhesive be used on areas like rear quarters? Is it much better to weld in the patches? I have also heard of using metal tape and fiber glass filler over the holes? I imagine these would be way to large for fiber glass, but I would rather use a panel adhesive rather than weld. I am new to body work, any advise is appreciated.

TimG
11-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Panel adhesieve works,only thing is,odds are you'll eventually see a faint outline of the patch {ghost or read thru line}
Welding would be best,IF you can do it correctly,BIG difference in welding sheet metal as opposed to say 1/4" plate!
The least little pinhole in a weld will allow moisture to the filler,allowing it to bubble,chance of warpage,fire,any corrosion protection on the backside of the panel will be burned off and must be replaced.
Stay away from the metal tape/tiger hair scenario if you want it to last any length of time.
If you're low on the panel,and particularly if it's a light color,I'd go with the glue,Fusor makes a patch panel adhesieve that sets up pretty fast,and supposedly gives less of a line...
Good Luck!

ngc414
12-01-2006, 09:33 AM
This car is going to be Black. I dont have a way to get behind the panel and protect the back of my welds. Would it be better to use the adhesive in this case? What is the best way to install a patch with panel adhesive?

ngc414
12-01-2006, 11:15 AM
I have been searching for directions on how to use metal bonds with no luck. Is there a step by step breakdown of how to use the metal bond to install a patch that someone could direct me toward?

Iceman
12-01-2006, 12:04 PM
http://www.lord.com/tabid/3400/Default.aspx. It should get you to the Fusor site. I've used their products, and like with anything following the instructions is crucial.

Len
12-01-2006, 12:31 PM
I have been searching for directions on how to use metal bonds with no luck. Is there a step by step breakdown of how to use the metal bond to install a patch that someone could direct me toward?

Here you go...

http://www.autobodystore.com/FusorMetBond.jpg

Fusor Metal Bonding Products Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=MB)

ngc414
12-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I will give it a shot. I have another question posted in the body filler section about temperature for applying filler. I guess the same question applies here. All the directions I have for the body filler and the metal bond state to use at around 70-80 degrees. My garage is not heated. Can I still use this stuff this winter and give it more cure time or does cold temperature cause more problems than cure time? I was planning on getting the body preped this winter and shoot the car in the summer. Thanks

Len
12-01-2006, 03:49 PM
You'll need to have it at least 60 degrees F for a few hours to get the material to cure properly. If it drops much below that it could negatively effect the strength of the bond.

TimG
12-01-2006, 11:34 PM
You're areas are small enough you could use a small radiant heater or a single heatlamp bulb in a clamplight to warm the metal,and keep it warm while the glue sets up.
As an aside,I heat my garage w/ a 160K btu torpedo heater from home depot,burning diesel fuel {less stink than heating oil} cost less than 200 bucks.
I leave the garage door up a bit when it's running,once everything gets warm,it stays warm for quite a while.
If you go this route,a CO2 detetector is cheap insurance!

ngc414
12-02-2006, 08:02 AM
I have a large torpedo heater and a small space heater, but the heat escapes quickly. I have not got my new garage insulated yet. I have a heating unit for the garage but that is not installed either. Too many projects too little time. I think the heat lamp Idea will work great. Then I can generalize the heat in the area needed rather than running the space heater all day.

strokedpony
09-07-2007, 12:40 AM
The quarter panels go thru alot of vibrating and twisting, especially Trans Ams and Camaros. I have owned several T/A's and speak with experience. I think a bonded repair is a temporay repair and after you spend the money for the nice paint job you are going to have problems with the rapair possibly cracking and then you are back to this same issue. pay a good body man to try to repair the quarter or spend the money and have it replaced. You will be happier in the end.