PDA

View Full Version : picklex/zero rust ??

napaguy
11-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Hello everybody. I have been lurking and reading on this site for a while now and figured I might as well jump in. I have a 1966 ford mustang that I am finishing a couple small floor patches in. Most of the floor board is still coverd in the factory body color paint. There are a couple spots of surface rust and a little bit of bare metal. I want to coat the entire floor board to stop the surface rust that exists and keep it from rusting in the future. I was thinking of using picklex20 then zero rust over that. But is it beneficial to use picklex20 on painted surfaces? Or should I just use zero rust and call it good? Thanks in advance

Serge
11-28-2006, 11:17 PM
You should keep the picklex to the bare metal areas.

First clean the floor with soap and water then use a degreaser on the entire floor to remove any grease, silicone and other contaminants before you sand. Starting with a clean floor is important for the adhesion of the paint...

Sand your floorboards well (a scuff pad, maroon colored by 3M works well for those areas) until all the painted part is dull. Sand the rusted areas with real sandpaper until you removed all the loose rust (sandblasting would be the best solution to remove the rust, Len sells a spot blaster that works well for this).

Then apply picklex to the metal areas only with a rag or scuff pad. Let it react with the metal for a few minutes then wipe off. Repeat for the rusted areas until you cant see anymore red rust. You can use a maroon scotchbrite to work the picklex into the lightly rusted metal, deeply pitted metal should be sandblasted...

After you wipe out the picklex, let the picklex dry for at least 24 hours. Then scuff the picklexed areas to remove any loose white residue. Clean well with a degreaser again and then paint the entire thing with your zero rust.

Make sure you let the zero rust dry for a while before you put the carpets back in, you want to give it a chance to harden well...If done well this should be the last time you do this floor...

Hope this helps,

Serge

Serge
11-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Doing the zero rust on the floor is ok for a driver, but if you are doing a concourse restoration this will loose you precious points...its not the correct way of doing those floors...

My 2 cents...

Serge

napaguy
11-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the reply. This car is a driver and went custom a long time ago so concours is not a concern. So my next question is this: Do I really need picklex 20 then. I have only a couple small areas of surface rust and the rest is painted. Would I be ok to prep the floor as you described, then just go with the zero-rust? Thanks in advance

Len
11-29-2006, 11:39 AM
While rust is not a good foundation for paint the Zero Rust will probably hold up pretty good inside the car without converting the rust. I'm with Serge in that the Picklex should NOT be used on top of a painted surface.

cmayna
12-01-2006, 09:00 AM
NAPAGUY,
If you were working on a Chevy, you wouldn't be having rust problems. Ask me, I'll tell ya! Glad to see other VMFer hanging around on this site. It's awesome for us I wanna be a body guy.

Based on what you have said, you actually have very little exposed metal area so I don't think the pixlex will be used much if any. You could use some of ZR's prepstep on the rusty areas, let it dry good. Then hit that area with your favorite ZR color.