PDA

View Full Version : dinged my hood

Harry
11-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi All. I have a few quick questions for my '03 Dodge Ram. I dinged the hood. The crash involved folding the passenger side of the hood at the crumple joint about half way up the hood (nothing major, the hood lifted about 2"), crushing the fiberglass grille (about 4 good straight cracks at the top passenger corner), and nicking the paint on the front fender under where the hood closes (this is completely hidden when the hood is closed). Three questions:
1) Is the hood repairable or is it easier and better to get a new hood.
2) Can the grille be repaired or should it be replaced.
3) How to repair the paint chip on the fender? As mentioned, this is completely hidden once the hood is closed. I guess the proper way would be to feather it out but I am having a hard time justifying reclearing the whole fender for this small repair.

Thanks for any advice you may have.
Harry

MARTINSR
11-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Let me get this straight, you hit something with the front of the hood and grille? In hitting this object you pushed the hood back at the front buckling it back towards the rear of the hood?

If that is the case, getting a new hood is the "norm" in an autobody shop. The time to repair it is more than the hood is worth. '

However, that is in a shop, doing it yourself it may be worth it. The problem is, it takes some knowledge as well as time. This is a pretty complex repair in most cases so getting a hood is probably going to be the best way to go.

The grille is "repairable" as well, but again, check the price and it may not be worth your time. The tubing support for the grille (about $65.00) is also damaged I would think. And by the way, get OEM parts. I just did a truck like yours recently with very similar damage. We tried an aftermarket grille support it SUCKED. The OEM parts are usually only a few more bucks.

Brian

Phil V
11-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Once a hood bends in a crumple zone then its much easier for that hood to bend in that area again. Apparently it weakens the structural integrity of that area of the hood. Just thought you should know that, which may or may not help you decide whether to repair that hood or replace it with another one.

Harry
11-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys. You pretty well confirmed my thoughts on the hood and grille. What are your thoughts on the chipped paint on the fender? Basically what happened here is that the hood was pushed back and slightly bent the fender and knocked off the paint right under where the hood covers the fender. Is there an easy way to repair this or should I just suck it up, feather the paint back, repair/prime, shade in the base and clear the whole fender. Thanks again
Harry

TimG
11-27-2006, 12:45 AM
If you can't see the chip when the hood is closed,I would dab it w/ primer,then base,then clear.
The factory primer on a Chrysler product is THICK,and almost impossible to featheredge,I usually use putty as a surfacer on these,even 2k primer needs 4 or 5 good coats to bring the repair up level.
And like Martin SR said,go for the OEM parts,for whatever reason,A/M stuff doesn't like to fit Dodge trucks!

MARTINSR
11-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Well, I will bet you that the rad support is back, that is why the fender chipped. Look right at where it is, it is very likely you will see that the fender is bent "in" a the front creating a buckle where that chip is.

The good new is, if it is, you could replace the rad support at home being it is a bolt in.

If the hood is bent as you describe it is VERY likely the rad support is back.

Brian

Harry
11-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Thanks, guys
Harry