PDA

View Full Version : Pickless?? spray everywhere

TheCoatingStore.com

classicchev
11-18-2006, 11:22 PM
I have just blasted a cab that does have a few challanging spots to get at. I was told to use Picklex to the bare metal.. Is this the best way of protecting the unseen areas for the rust that may be lucking there.

If you were doing this job , what would your recommendations be??
1st. Picklex
2nd. Epoxy primer
3rd. hi build Urathane
4th BC/CC

Next question, how much of the cab would you do? would you use Zero Rust on the under neath, or stick with the picklex epoxy primer?

Thanks, Darren

Len
11-18-2006, 11:34 PM
I have just blasted a cab that does have a few challanging spots to get at. I was told to use Picklex to the bare metal.. Is this the best way of protecting the unseen areas for the rust that may be lucking there.

If you were doing this job , what would your recommendations be??
1st. Picklex
2nd. Epoxy primer
3rd. hi build Urathane
4th BC/CC

Next question, how much of the cab would you do? would you use Zero Rust on the under neath, or stick with the picklex epoxy primer?

Thanks, Darren

The products used depend on the job you plan on doing. If the vehicle is going to be kept indoors (after stripping) while the body work is being done then Picklex will be a good choice. If you're going to move the vehicle outdoors during the body repairs then epoxy primer would be best. If the metal has some surface rust then it would probably be best to convert the rust with Picklex then apply epoxy primer if you intend to move it outdoors. High build urethane (2K primer) is usually applied to help level the body work and smooth any surface irregularities before painting. If you're going to spray the car using a metallic paint then a base/clear (two stage) paint is best but for solid colors you can use either single or two stage paint.

classicchev
11-19-2006, 12:00 AM
The project will stay indoors for the entire project.

Sounds like I am on the right track with the order, and it seems Picklex is the product.

thanks Len for the reply,

Len
11-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Just remember you will want to prime the metal after the body work is finished. If you use Picklex you can't use a primer that uses an acid to help bite the metal. Epoxy primer is usually be your best bet but never use etch primer.

classicchev
11-19-2006, 12:46 PM
I have only done a few and used epoxy primer everytime, Thanks again