PDA

View Full Version : Welding on a newer car

TheCoatingStore.com

wayne74447
11-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Is it okay to weld on a newer auto? I have a 1996 Chevy truck i need to weld a patch panel into. It is a very computerized vehicle and was wondering if there is any big issues welding. I thought i would in hook the battery, pull the harness off of the ECU, and all the sensors on the engine. Would this be suffecent?

Wayne

ZRX61
11-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Make sure there is nothing electrical within a couple of feet, ground cable as close to the weld site as possible & also completely disable the airbag system...

shoddy_f-body
11-17-2006, 09:05 PM
I weld on late model cars all the time.All you need to do is unhook both battery terminals and your fine.Dont mess with the airbags. I use a surge protecter that hooks to each battery terminal and protects the system from spikes without unhooking the battery because Some new cars are a major PITA after you unhook the battery(alarm systems,radio locks ect) But on your 96 just unhook the battery.

Phil V
11-17-2006, 09:42 PM
I agree, just unhook the battery and you're good to go. And I also agree that the welding ground cable needs to be close to the weld area (which it should be regardless, just as a good welding practice.)

SOME high end radios have a built in security guard that if the power is disconnected from the car you have to have a pre-programmed Key CD to put into the stereo or the stereo won't work. Without that key cd you have to send the stereo back to the manufacturer to get "unlocked".

wayne74447
11-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks guys, i just bought this truck, its orig from nevada. some moron put runningboards on it and blew the screws through the rocker needless to say one leaked some moistore and made a weak spot about 2x2 square so i am replacing that metal in the rocker area on the rear cab.

wayne