PDA

View Full Version : Picklex 20 application question

tr6oldtimer
11-15-2006, 02:47 PM
I have some rust pits on a flat surface that I power wire brushed and sanded, then applied Picklex 20 as instructed. The rust turned black as expected. Out of curiosity, I took a sharp awl to the rust converted area and picked at it expecting to find the black rust down to good metal. What I found was red rust coming up from under the converted area until finally hitting good metal.

Is this a normal or is there something I am missing in the application?

Len
11-15-2006, 07:24 PM
I have some rust pits on a flat surface that I power wire brushed and sanded, then applied Picklex 20 as instructed. The rust turned black as expected. Out of curiosity, I took a sharp awl to the rust converted area and picked at it expecting to find the black rust down to good metal. What I found was red rust coming up from under the converted area until finally hitting good metal.

Is this a normal or is there something I am missing in the application?

The Picklex will only convert the rust that it touches. If you didn't get it to the bottom of the pits then it can't convert the rust at the bottom. When we use Picklex we use a scuff pad to work the liquid into the metal but if we have pits we may use a wire brush in a circular motion to work it deep into the divots.

sdyck
11-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Len, these look like good tips above, is there a good "how to" on using picklex_20 in different situations for best effect?

I checked the picklex site and can't find anythiing.

Thanks,

Steve

sdyck
11-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Application instructions

http://www.ashjentech.com/P20%20App%20Instr.pdf