PDA

View Full Version : Can I replace bumper myself?

TheCoatingStore.com

Q65
11-13-2006, 01:34 PM
I have a 1995 Nissan 200SX and I need to replace the front bumper (I was in a small accident and discovered that my bumper is made of very thin plastic, and it just cracked in half). Can I replace the bumper myself? I know very little about cars but I would rather save money and do it myself if I can. I saw some online for $50-$150, and they seemed alright.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dave_demented
11-13-2006, 05:41 PM
yea, as long as you've got the right tools, you can do it yourself however before doing any work on it being is as you said you have no experience, take it somewhere and get an estimate on it just to make sure there is no structural damage. i would guess that that bumper cover is just bolted on, which isnt that hard to take off and replace and if you plan on painting it make sure you use all the correct materials for painting plastics, ie- adhesion promoter and flex additives

TimG
11-14-2006, 01:13 AM
I agree w/ Dave,and also,I strongly suggest that you get a cover that is CAPA certified,and PRIMED,not raw plastic,if you can.
CAPA is an orginization,backed by the insurance industry,that supposedly tests Aftermarket crash parts for fit,MOST of the time a CAPA part is fairly close,if it's not certified,there is probably a reason,and good luck making it fit!
If you get a primed part,all you have to do is scuff and shoot,raw plastic,you'll be in to buying plastic primers,adheision promotors,any savings on the part itself will be eaten up in materials.
Try google searching Keystone automotive,or Empire auto parts,both supply to bodyshops,and have decent parts.
Good Luck!

68-chevydoula
11-14-2006, 03:33 PM
If you do this yourself, what color will it be, are you going to paint it? If you want it to be fixed right, you shoud get an estimate and see exactly what you are getting yourself into first. Then see if you are willing to dive in your self. Good luck!

Stanger
11-14-2006, 07:09 PM
I would search a salvage yard for a 200SX that was rear ended. Pull the front bumper off of that car and you won't have to worry about the fit to the body or shipping from an online source. You could just scuff and repaint the new one the color of the car.
Grant

suprafanatic2k9
11-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Just like everyone else said. It isnt that hard, just have the right tools.