PDA

View Full Version : Repair in pieces

mikemo
01-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Looking for some advice on repairing the rust damage to the bed of my 86 Toyota truck. I'm going to be cutting out the rusty areas and welding in new metal. Unfortunately, I don't have enough room in the garage to work inside. I also don't have the time (or the speed) to complete the repairs in one day. I'm concerned about the newly welded panels and welds rusting when left outside. It might take me 3 or 4 weekends to complete the repairs and be ready to paint. Any suggestions on how to prevent rust on the new panels temporarily before painting?

I'm going to use Nason epoxy primer and Nason Fulthane 2k urethane paint. Do I have to mix a little primer after each repair and shoot it, or is there some other temporary way to protect it?
Thanks!
Mike M.

rustyramblers
01-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Mike,

I'm doing rust repair in this way on my Ramblers. What I've been doing is working on a section and then painting the areas I'm working on with DupliColor primers and paint. Once all the body work is done, the plan is to strip the car and use better materials.

You're not going to get a show finish with spray bombs and the paint is somewhat fragile because it's a lacquer paint but as long as you give it enough coats to build up the film thickness, it will look okay and last for a little while.

If you go this route, make sure that you strip all of the spray bomb paint and primer off so you don't have lifting issues with the good stuff.

Matt

Phil V
01-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Mike, at the end of each working session a couple coats of epoxy primer will be relatively water proof so no rust should start. If you can't fit your truck in the garage to do the bodywork does that also mean you plan to spray the truck out in the driveway ?That by itself brings on a whole myriad of problems. Also it takes temps in 60 deg F. minimum range for epoxy primer to cure. Temps outside in the winter here in michigan rarely reach above freezing.

68-chevyman
01-11-2006, 11:26 PM
3M has a weld-thru spray bomb primer that will keep it from rusting, you can weld right over it and you can sand and primer over it.

The only way to go in my opinion.

mikemo
01-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Also it takes temps in 60 deg F. minimum range for epoxy primer to cure. Temps outside in the winter here in michigan rarely reach above freezing.

Well, here in sunny Florida, we usually have daytime temps in the 70's this time of year.

Sounds great now, but ask me again in August.

I guess it really isn't that tough to mix up a bit of epoxy primer and shoot it on the new work at the end of the day. Hopefully that will hold up to the elements until I'm ready to paint the entire thing. I'll also see if I can find any of the weld-thru primers locally.
Thanks
Mike M.