PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass

TheCoatingStore.com

alortiz
10-25-2006, 08:10 AM
I'm new at working with fiberglass. I have a van running board that needs repair. Can anyone share a step by step preocess or pictures on how to work with fiberglass repairs? I've seen that you have to work with resin,mesh,and gel coat,but I have no idea how to get starting in the mixing and prep process....

Ps I've done some body work prep in the past but not with fiberglass

Thanks

pane2k
11-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Well just a way to explain the steps without getting into too much detail..
They make basically like a double stick rubber..that you can use behind the damage..so you can put resin and glass ontop if it without it falling through to start rebuilding the shape..
So what You do is.. Grind all the surrounding area that the glass will potentially touch..so it sticks good..
Then stick this peice of rubber behind the damage so you build ontop of it without the glass and resin falling through the hole you want to repair.
What I like to do with glass work is make a cup of resin and let it get hard...then i like the grind the hardened resin and cheese grate it a little...and make different types of powder and strands to add to my soft resin im going to work with to give it a little more body.
Then id make a cup of resin...stir it vigorously. Last thing you want it a soft spot!. Add some of my grinded up resin to give it some body and keep stirring..
Then put A layer of resin down with an acid brush.
Then put a this sheet of glass. Then blot resin ontop of it with the acid brush until its completely saturated...then put another layer of glass..and repeat the process.
Once you finish your first layer(s) of glass you can pull that black peice of rubber out..and it will pull right out leaving your hole or damage filled. Then you can built it a little more in the back to reinforce it if necessary.
Just keep repeating the process until you have your damage built up 90%.
Then do the final final finish work with a little polyester putty.

Im not a pro at fiberglass work like some of the guys on this board may be...so if i told you something wrong maybe they can add to it.

Len
11-25-2006, 12:05 AM
I'm new at working with fiberglass. I have a van running board that needs repair. Can anyone share a step by step preocess or pictures on how to work with fiberglass repairs? I've seen that you have to work with resin,mesh,and gel coat,but I have no idea how to get starting in the mixing and prep process....

Ps I've done some body work prep in the past but not with fiberglass

Thanks

How bad is the damage? Are there pieces missing, is it cracked or what? Got any pictures? Like metal fiberglass repairs can vary somewhat according to the damage.