PDA

View Full Version : Dealer damaged dash

TheCoatingStore.com

junk
03-27-2017, 10:35 AM
Hey wasn't sure where to put this. I recently had an airbag recall performed on my new to me 2007 subaru outback. Anyway when I get the car back there is some damage on the soft dash pad from where they pryed the center air vents out. I immediately went back and told the service tech I was working with. Service manager is supposed to contact me. I'm not mad just disappointed. I expected more from a dealer. I might not have noticed it, but the cubby hole door between the vents doesn't work right now either. I'll probably pull that and fix it so it works right. The cubby door had a gouge on it when I got the car.

The car's not pristine or perfect. It's a 10 year old car I bought with a bad engine. So what's a reasonable resolution. If I'd of damaged it I wouldnt' be replacing the dash pad. Maybe have an interior guy fix the spot?

IDK just wondering what you guys think? I do expect them to do something, but truthfully I don't want them working on the car again as we had to have a special tech do the airbag work.

Here you can see how the door doesn't sit right in the trims. The gouge on the door was existing. There are pry marks under the left vent.

Here's the damage. It's under the right side air vent. My concern is the dash pad will now continue to degrade in that spot.

Thanks
Jeremy

Len
03-27-2017, 11:17 AM
That can all be repaired but I probably wouldn't go back to that dealer for anything after they make the repairs. In most cases a dealer will have an outside service that comes in to do interior repairs so you may get a good job. The dealer may have also used an outside service for the recall but I wouldn't waste any time getting them to do the repairs, the longer you wait the less chance they will get it done.

junk
03-27-2017, 11:38 AM
Dealer just called. It was the service writer I've dealt with before not the manager. They ordered a new dash, but they are on back order. They didn't do anything about the ill fitting door. They can check it out if I take the car back there. 1hr drive. Or they will check it out when I take it in for the dash. I did point it out saturday when the service writer and service tech checked out the damage when I picked up the car and showed them the damage.

I told them I'd handle the cubby. I was planning to grab one off ebay anyway because mine has the gouge.

I asked them if they'd let me give them the damaged dash and I'll install the new one. They won't. They need to install the new one so they know it's done right for warranty. I almost laughed when they said done "right". We wouldn't be talking about this if they did it right the first time.

I did explain concerns about getting substandard repairs because i complained and this was a come back. He tried to be reassuring, but wasn't.

Jeremy

Henry
03-27-2017, 12:48 PM
This whole TAKATA airbag thing is a total embarrassment and the biggest in automotive history. How many MILLIONS of vehicles are driving the streets and being yet produced with bad TAKATA airbags? The whole thing is disgusting. And, working with many vendors and suppliers buying parts, we tried rarely to single-source parts. Too often we had to and that's unfortunate. NHTSA has been asleep at the wheel on this one.

As for you, make those idiots replace the entire dash. There were NO marks in it at all. They did everything.

Good luck with this disgusting issue.

Henry

What projects are you working on? I know you must have something in the works.

junk
03-27-2017, 02:18 PM
Yeah this was the 3rd subaru I own that they had to check the airbags in. Both my 03 and 04 were OK. And no damage I found. They had a 2012 in there getting checked out when my 07 was in there. The airbag deal is a complete piss off to me. We've put 300K miles on our 03 and 04 Outbacks. Only been the last year we started receiving notification to get them in for the airbag recall. The letters said not to have front seat passengers. So for 300K we've been putting people in danger by having them in our car? And in the end on the 03 and 04 It was just an airbag serial number check. No parts changed.

I take my vehicles in for so little it's frustrating when I have an issue. I wonder what happens for joe-blow consumer who takes his vehicle in several times a year. How many issues do they end up with?

Been wrenching on a lot of stuff, but not much auto body.
Got my 03 subaru masked up right now painting the door and fixing some peeling clear before I sell it.
Did head gaskets in a 2009 subaru for a co-worker.
Put a 5-speed in my 89 f-350 instead of the 4-speed.
Put an engine in this 2007 subaru. I had to drill and tap oil pan holes. I found a good deal on a newer engine that does fit, but not "bolt" in.
And I'm sure a bunch of other stuff I forgot.

Later,
Jeremy

Phil V
04-01-2017, 07:55 AM
We're talking a 10 year old car here. If that car were mine I would probably just brush touch the paint under the vents and call it good. If it was a new car I would probably be a little more concerned. I would be willing to bet that there are more serious problems with that car than those two little nicks under the two air vents. I'd be more concerned with them replacing the dash and end up with new rattles or squeaks coming from the dash.

Henry
04-01-2017, 08:48 AM
We're talking a 10 year old car here. If that car were mine I would probably just brush touch the paint under the vents and call it good. If it was a new car I would probably be a little more concerned. I would be willing to bet that there are more serious problems with that car than those two little nicks under the two air vents. I'd be more concerned with them replacing the dash and end up with new rattles or squeaks coming from the dash.

YEAH, right! It is a 10 year old car but it's HIS 10 year old car and the point is it took TAKATA this long to replace faulty airbags. Do you find no fault in that whole thing with STILL many MILLIONS of cars on the road with UNSAFE airbags. Those brand new cars with this problem are aging each day without proper repair. As they become old, should they also just be ignored?

TAKATA fukd up, NHTSA allows it to blindly continue and a franchised authorized Subaru dealership does shitty work but that's OK? Your Mustang is the same age; what would you do, say oh well? Put things in proper prospective and it shows differently. Know what I mean?

Henry

Phil V
04-02-2017, 10:04 AM
YEAH, right! It is a 10 year old car but it's HIS 10 year old car and the point is it took TAKATA this long to replace faulty airbags. Do you find no fault in that whole thing with STILL many MILLIONS of cars on the road with UNSAFE airbags. Those brand new cars with this problem are aging each day without proper repair. As they become old, should they also just be ignored?

TAKATA fukd up, NHTSA allows it to blindly continue and a franchised authorized Subaru dealership does shitty work but that's OK? Your Mustang is the same age; what would you do, say oh well? Put things in proper prospective and it shows differently. Know what I mean?

Henry

My Mustang is a Shelby. Enough said.

Your rant on Takata air bags is uncalled for also, Henry.

Henry
04-02-2017, 12:12 PM
My Mustang is a Shelby. Enough said.

Your rant on Takata air bags is uncalled for also, Henry.

Ford Motor Company has rolled out a new list of vehicles affected by the global Takata airbag recalls, with the newest batch including the Ford Mustang, the Ford GT supercar, the Ford Fusion, the Ford Ranger and a collection of Lincoln and Mercury vehicles.
The folks at Takata recently announced that some of their passenger-side frontal airbag inflators are defective and as a result, Ford Motor Company has announced a new list of vehicles affected by the global airbag crisis which has been caused by Takata’s low quality components. These vehicles join the list of models previously recalled for a similar issue, but with Takata finally acknowledging that their products truly are junk – Ford and a handful of other automakers have been forced to issue blanket recalls rather than just recalling vehicles which have been found to exhibit the problem.
The Takata Airbag Inflator Problem
In case you aren’t clear on the issue forcing millions and millions of vehicles to be recalled around the world, here is a quick rundown. The passenger side airbag inflator from Takata lacks a particular drying agent. When these inflators are exposed to high levels of moisture and humidity, the lack of the drying agent causes the metal components of the inflator to corrode and weaken. When the airbag opens, the weakened inflator assembly can fracture, sending pieces of the metal rocketing into the cabin with the same force as the airbag itself.
As you might imagine, having tiny pieces of metal fired at your face cause obviously increase the changes of injury or death, and there have been countless reports of both severe injury and some deaths as a result of the Takata airbag inflators.
Because of this increased risk of injury, automakers around the world have been recalling vehicles which are found in humid areas, but many automakers have stuck to recalling vehicles which exhibited the fracturing inflator assembly. However, with Takata announcing that their products are indeed junk, automakers are scrambling to recall every vehicle with the troublesome safety components in order to prevent any future injuries, accidents or deaths.

Newest Recalled FoMoCo Vehicles
The list of Ford Motor Company vehicles added most recently to the dastardly Takata airbag recall list is as follows:
2007-2010 Ford Edge
2006-2011 Ford Fusion
2005-2006 Ford GT
2005-2011 Ford Mustang
2007-2011 Ford Ranger
2007-2010 Lincoln MKX
2006-2011 Lincoln MKZ/Zephyr
2006-2011 Mercury Milan
Ford has not stated the figures for this portion of the recall, but the automaker does point out that they have now recalled 1,902,228 vehicles due to the Takata problems.

MILLIONS of vehicles WORLD WIDE Phil really is a problem with fixes waiting years.

Henry

junk
04-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Mean while you aren't supposed to have passengers ride in that spot. So now you have a vehicle you paid thousands of dollars for thats made to transport people and it's capacity is reduced by 20% for years. My wifes 04 with 230K miles was unsafe the whole time we had passengers in it according to the recall literature. We bought it in 04 with 6K miles. Recall was just performed this summer.

Shelby mustang or not. Dealer had us bring it in for a safety repair they said had to be done. They gave the car back in functionally worse shape than it went in. Cubby hole lid barely worked and dash was marked up / torn. Had they not messed up the cubby I probably wouldn't of noticed the damaged dash.

Agreed its a 10 year old car. So does that mean they don't need to stand by their work? I should just accept damage when I take my car in for work I didn't initiate? Also they never asked me how I wanted it resolved. They ordered the dash before we had discussed any resolutions. Truthfully I'd of been happy with a new center cubby and lived with the dash. As it is I removed the cubby and snapped it all back together correctly and reinstalled it.

Phil V
04-02-2017, 07:59 PM
Mean while you aren't supposed to have passengers ride in that spot. So now you have a vehicle you paid thousands of dollars for thats made to transport people and it's capacity is reduced by 20% for years. My wifes 04 with 230K miles was unsafe the whole time we had passengers in it according to the recall literature. We bought it in 04 with 6K miles. Recall was just performed this summer.

Shelby mustang or not. Dealer had us bring it in for a safety repair they said had to be done. They gave the car back in functionally worse shape than it went in. Cubby hole lid barely worked and dash was marked up / torn. Had they not messed up the cubby I probably wouldn't of noticed the damaged dash.

Agreed its a 10 year old car. So does that mean they don't need to stand by their work? I should just accept damage when I take my car in for work I didn't initiate? Also they never asked me how I wanted it resolved. They ordered the dash before we had discussed any resolutions. Truthfully I'd of been happy with a new center cubby and lived with the dash. As it is I removed the cubby and snapped it all back together correctly and reinstalled it.

It was physically/visually/aesthetically damaged pretty bad when you brought the car to the dealership for repairs (much more serious than two little nicks). Apparently that very obvious damage didn't seem to bother you too bad (because you never fixed it). I have heard of bodymen intentionally leaving a couple trims screws out and putting a screw or two in a place they they intentionally knew it would rattle. Pissing off a bodyman is not a good idea. It can be compared to pissing off a restaurant cook or server (who spits on your food or rubs his/her hand in their crotch are then intentionally touch your food).

I personally think you making a much bigger deal about two little nicks in the dash on a 10 year old Suburu than it really deserves. Making them replace the whole dash is ridiculous.

Henry, I am well aware of the Takata recalls including my '07 Shelby. I would imagine I know more about the recall situation in general than you do. Do some more research to find out why the airbags malfunction. What atmospheric conditions cause the airbags to malfunction.

Henry
04-03-2017, 06:22 AM
It was physically/visually/aesthetically damaged pretty bad when you brought the car to the dealership for repairs (much more serious than two little nicks). Apparently that very obvious damage didn't seem to bother you too bad (because you never fixed it). I have heard of bodymen intentionally leaving a couple trims screws out and putting a screw or two in a place they they intentionally knew it would rattle. Pissing off a bodyman is not a good idea. It can be compared to pissing off a restaurant cook or server (who spits on your food or rubs his/her hand in their crotch are then intentionally touch your food).

I personally think you making a much bigger deal about two little nicks in the dash on a 10 year old Suburu than it really deserves. Making them replace the whole dash is ridiculous.

Henry, I am well aware of the Takata recalls including my '07 Shelby. I would imagine I know more about the recall situation in general than you do. Do some more research to find out why the airbags malfunction. What atmospheric conditions cause the airbags to malfunction.

Just "WHAT" makes 'you' an authority on what 'junk' should do with his car(s)? Leave the guy alone. As your usual, you have more wasted time telling him he should ignore the situation than he has concern about it. Seem to bother you more than him. Whatever he chooses to do is up to him and NOT Phil V. Go play elsewhere.

Henry

junk
04-03-2017, 10:12 AM
The damage is in the padded dash pad below the plastic vents. AND they opted to order a replacement without consulting me.

The plastic cubby did have existing cosmetic damage, but functioned perfect. When i got it back it did not function well.

Sorry I don't drive new or fancy enough vehicles. I bought this 07 with a bad engine and started driving it in February. The cubby door is on my list but I figured an engine and safety recalls being completed trumped cosmetic issues for now.

So using you're logic unless a vehicle is brand new you shouldn't be able to get it fixed when damaged? I'm glad they didn't dent the door. There could be a scratch in the finish thus removing them from all liability. Whew I dodged a bullet there.

Len
04-03-2017, 11:38 AM
The damage is in the padded dash pad below the plastic vents. AND they opted to order a replacement without consulting me.

The plastic cubby did have existing cosmetic damage, but functioned perfect. When i got it back it did not function well.

Sorry I don't drive new or fancy enough vehicles. I bought this 07 with a bad engine and started driving it in February. The cubby door is on my list but I figured an engine and safety recalls being completed trumped cosmetic issues for now.

So using you're logic unless a vehicle is brand new you shouldn't be able to get it fixed when damaged? I'm glad they didn't dent the door. There could be a scratch in the finish thus removing them from all liability. Whew I dodged a bullet there.

If the dealer damaged it then they should fix it and then some. You should be given a car to use while it's in the shop and they should fix ANYTHING wrong in the area where they caused damage.

Phil V
04-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Just "WHAT" makes 'you' an authority on what 'junk' should do with his car(s)? Leave the guy alone. As your usual, you have more wasted time telling him he should ignore the situation than he has concern about it. Seem to bother you more than him. Whatever he chooses to do is up to him and NOT Phil V. Go play elsewhere.

Henry

Henry, this has NOTHING to do with you. So go play, the adults are taking here.

Phil V
04-03-2017, 05:39 PM
If the dealer damaged it then they should fix it and then some. You should be given a car to use while it's in the shop and they should fix ANYTHING wrong in the area where they caused damage.

Of course, and if a bird feather landed on the car then he should get a whole new show winning paint job, right ?

I see where you're going with this - "Much ado about nothing" in reference to a Shakespearean tragedy/comedy.

Len
04-03-2017, 06:06 PM
Of course, and if a bird feather landed on the car then he should get a whole new show winning paint job, right ?

I see where you're going with this - "Much ado about nothing" in reference to a Shakespearean tragedy/comedy.

Phil you're getting old and senile. The dealer damaged this man's car and they should make it right. End of story.

Phil V
04-03-2017, 11:26 PM
Phil you're getting old and senile. The dealer damaged this man's car and they should make it right. End of story.

I agree up to a point about the dealer repairing any damage they do. Don't agree with the senility part. LOL

I guess my take on this is how much culpability do they really have and to what degree of culpability. I have seen people bring in their car for a minor fender bender and demand we replace the radio "because the radio quite in the accident" and another one was they demanded we replace the muffler on the car because it go loud right near the time of a minor front fender bender so according to them the muffler and the radio must be replaced as part of the accident.

I guess technically the dealer would have to replace the dash on that Suburu but sometimes you can be legally right and be wrong on a different level at the same time. That is why I brought up the part about new rattles and noises coming out of the dash. It can open up a whole new can of worms for the dealer AND the vehicle owner. I have seen customers in dealerships that nit pick the shit out of everything and would never be happy or even satisfied regardless of what the dealership did or didn't do. In life you have to pick your battles and you have to ask yourself "do those two little nicks in the dash really rise to the level of "picking your battle" ? If something that small sets him off - "to do battle" - then he leads a stressful life. I guess the bottom line is you have to ask yourself " is it really worth it " for those two little nicks in the dash ?

Henry
04-04-2017, 06:28 AM
I agree up to a point about the dealer repairing any damage they do. Don't agree with the senility part. LOL

I guess my take on this is how much culpability do they really have and to what degree of culpability. I have seen people bring in their car for a minor fender bender and demand we replace the radio "because the radio quite in the accident" and another one was they demanded we replace the muffler on the car because it go loud right near the time of a minor front fender bender so according to them the muffler and the radio must be replaced as part of the accident.

I guess technically the dealer would have to replace the dash on that Suburu but sometimes you can be legally right and be wrong on a different level at the same time. That is why I brought up the part about new rattles and noises coming out of the dash. It can open up a whole new can of worms for the dealer AND the vehicle owner. I have seen customers in dealerships that nit pick the shit out of everything and would never be happy or even satisfied regardless of what the dealership did or didn't do. In life you have to pick your battles and you have to ask yourself "do those two little nicks in the dash really rise to the level of "picking your battle" ? If something that small sets him off - "to do battle" - then he leads a stressful life. I guess the bottom line is you have to ask yourself " is it really worth it " for those two little nicks in the dash ?

Boy, you're really grasping at straws now just so Phil V gets the last word in and of course, Phil is NEVER wrong. Stop making such an ass of yourself. Again, if this was one of your fleet you'd be all over the dealer like stink on shit. PHIL, it AIN'T your car. Leave the guy ALONE and leave the thread where it's at. Can you do that?

Henry

Jeremy, carry on as you see fit.

Phil V
04-04-2017, 10:59 AM
Boy, you're really grasping at straws now just so Phil V gets the last word in and of course, Phil is NEVER wrong. Stop making such an ass of yourself. Again, if this was one of your fleet you'd be all over the dealer like stink on shit. PHIL, it AIN'T your car. Leave the guy ALONE and leave the thread where it's at. Can you do that?

Henry

Jeremy, carry on as you see fit.

Like I said, Henry. Go play, the adults are talking now.

Henry
04-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Like I said, Henry. Go play, the adults are talking now.

In that case, you should excuse yourself since you're obviously NOT part of that circle.

Was thinking, best thing for you to do is ride around the school lot in your different color truck and see if that 'guy' spots you that was chasing you last year. Matter of time before he gets you.

Henry

Phil V
04-04-2017, 01:49 PM
In that case, you should excuse yourself since you're obviously NOT part of that circle.

Was thinking, best thing for you to do is ride around the school lot in your different color truck and see if that 'guy' spots you that was chasing you last year. Matter of time before he gets you.

Henry

Get some professional psychiatric help, Henry.

CraigS
04-04-2017, 03:08 PM
I'd like to promote this thread as an example of long term exposure to paint chemicals. I can't help but think if Phil had stopped talking when he said 'Enough said', Henry would have nothing to reply to.

Phil V
04-04-2017, 10:27 PM
I'd like to promote this thread as an example of long term exposure to paint chemicals. I can't help but think if Phil had stopped talking when he said 'Enough said', Henry would have nothing to reply to.

CraigS, I'm sorry to hear you have experienced long term exposure to paint chemicals. That could never be good since it affects how you think. We're pulling for you though. I always wore a good paint mask so no long term exposure problems here.

junk
05-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Dealer replaced the dash. There ended up being a warranty extension on the dash panel because of the airbag recall. Basically the dashs are easily damaged when performing the airbag recall.

Got the car back with a broken a/c dash vent. Visually broken on the face of the vent. And the center vents are not installed correctly. It pushes air out the cracks of the dash vs the vent. They don't have the tube mated inside the dash.

They're sending me a replacement for the broken vent and I'll fix the the other vent.

Henry
05-13-2017, 06:45 AM
Dealer replaced the dash. There ended up being a warranty extension on the dash panel because of the airbag recall. Basically the dashs are easily damaged when performing the airbag recall.

Got the car back with a broken a/c dash vent. Visually broken on the face of the vent. And the center vents are not installed correctly. It pushes air out the cracks of the dash vs the vent. They don't have the tube mated inside the dash.

They're sending me a replacement for the broken vent and I'll fix the the other vent.

Persevere and good things happen. Glad you got that done.

I liked the looks of the older Subaru Outback wagon. They sit a little higher. I told LS6 to buy one of those for winter instead of using one of his vettes as a daily driver. I'd like to find an older one myself for the hell of it for winter. Just don't know anything about them. Have you changed timing belts? I like that everything they have is either all wheel or four wheel drive. What's your experience with drive trains?

Henry

junk
05-14-2017, 10:23 PM
Henry - We've had excellent luck with them. The two achilles heals are rust and head gaskets. My wifes 2004 has 230K on it. Original auto transmission works fine. It has had head gaskets every 100K miles though. It takes me 3hrs to pull the engine and have the heads off. Then another 10hrs to put it all back together. Thats with all new timing kit, front rear seals, oil pan reseal, oil pump reseal, etc.

Timing belt is a 2-3hr job. Super easy in my book. The engine is mounted like a rear wheel vehicle. Not transverse like all the fwd stuff. They remind me of working on old 350 chevys.

They're AWD system works great. We can't give it up. They're really sure footed.

Jeremy