PDA

View Full Version : Scratch through to primer repair question

TheCoatingStore.com

welddoc
11-05-2016, 12:59 PM
Hello,
Like many here I work in a small space and as a hobby. Recently after finishing spraying my first bc/cc project (which went well-some orange peel) the hood I painted slid and was scratched about 4 inches down to primer. Can I do any type of repair to the scratched area other than sanding down the entire hood and repainting it? Paint is solid red no flake or metallic.

Appreciate your thoughts here on the forum.

Thanks much.

Len
11-05-2016, 03:54 PM
Hello,
Like many here I work in a small space and as a hobby. Recently after finishing spraying my first bc/cc project (which went well-some orange peel) the hood I painted slid and was scratched about 4 inches down to primer. Can I do any type of repair to the scratched area other than sanding down the entire hood and repainting it? Paint is solid red no flake or metallic.

Appreciate your thoughts here on the forum.

Thanks much.

I would do the repair by block sanding until the bottom of the scratch is gone then apply a filler primer to level the surface then prep and respray the hood. Depending on the quality of the clear you may be able to get away with spotting the area but for the small amount of time saved and the risk of a visible repair I'd opt for spotting the color and clearing the entire hood.

welddoc
11-05-2016, 07:05 PM
Len,
By prep do you mean sand off all the clear on the entire hood and then re spray some color and clear? Sand the old clear away with 400?
Thanks

Len
11-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Len,
By prep do you mean sand off all the clear on the entire hood and then re spray some color and clear? Sand the old clear away with 400?
Thanks

No, if you used a decent acrylic urethane clear you should be able to sand out the scratch, apply primer to level the spot, block the primer with some 600 then scuff the entire panel with some 1200/1500 and spot your color then clear the panel on top of the existing clear.