PDA

View Full Version : small pad polisher question

welddoc
10-17-2016, 08:52 AM
Hello,
With the help of the forum I am planning on getting a Makita 9237c buffer/polisher. I am planning on using a 3M system of pads and compound/polish which I assume will fit on this Makita.

What do I do about the hard to get at places that have been color sanded and need buff/polish? The 7 inch foam pads will be too big. Do I get a 3 inch backing plate/pads for this 7 inch Makita or do I need to get yet another, smaller machine ($$)?

Thanks much for your advice.

Len
10-17-2016, 12:41 PM
Hello,
With the help of the forum I am planning on getting a Makita 9237c buffer/polisher. I am planning on using a 3M system of pads and compound/polish which I assume will fit on this Makita.

What do I do about the hard to get at places that have been color sanded and need buff/polish? The 7 inch foam pads will be too big. Do I get a 3 inch backing plate/pads for this 7 inch Makita or do I need to get yet another, smaller machine ($$)?

We use (and love) our 3" polisher. We probably use it as much or more than our Makita.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/tncpt7201.png (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=CPT7201Pa&Category_Code=T2)

Henry
10-18-2016, 07:23 AM
Hello,

The pads I use are here:

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=SFPADS&Category_Code=T2

Although 3M spends TONS of money on research of their products, I'm not a big fan of their polish assortment. As for their pads, I've only used a couple but have to say, hands down I own all of the pads in the link I posted and you will not find "A"...the ORANGE pad elsewhere. And, that pad is a big deal to me. I find it very hard to burn the paint while buffing with it and I tried to on an old fender.

Order a couple pads from Len when you order the Makita would be my suggestion.

Keep us posted and good luck. Remember to season the pad and don't run a dry wool pad on the paint as you will create too much heat.

Henry

welddoc
10-18-2016, 09:16 AM
Thanks Len and Henry.
3M has a 2-stage system that involves a black pad for cutting after wet sanding and then a white pad with their buffing solution. No orange pad and no wool pad. I am unfamiliar with "seasoning a pad.
Thoughts...
Bruce

Len
10-18-2016, 10:21 AM
Thanks Len and Henry.
3M has a 2-stage system that involves a black pad for cutting after wet sanding and then a white pad with their buffing solution. No orange pad and no wool pad. I am unfamiliar with "seasoning a pad.
Thoughts...
Bruce

Seasoning is getting the polish/compound into the pad so that it works properly. This is done by dampening the pad then applying polish on the painted surface and pick it up in a slowly rotating pad. Once the pad is seasoned you can apply the polish on the surface and start buffing.