PDA

View Full Version : Time to apply clear coat

TheCoatingStore.com

agtjamesb007
10-11-2016, 02:15 AM
I am doing a small rattle-can repair on my car. I know there are technical data sheets that list the re-coat windows, how long to wait to apply clear, etc. However the base coat I used is a custom mix up in a paint bomb, so it has no instructions. I was told it was urethane but they sounded unsure. It may be lacquer. Does anybody know how SOON you can apply clear coat to lacquer or urethane? And if I do wait too long and have to scuff the base, what would you recommend I do it with? 600 grit wet sand? Grey scotch pad? other?

Thanks for the help!

Henry
10-11-2016, 04:26 AM
I am doing a small rattle-can repair on my car. I know there are technical data sheets that list the re-coat windows, how long to wait to apply clear, etc. However the base coat I used is a custom mix up in a paint bomb, so it has no instructions. I was told it was urethane but they sounded unsure. It may be lacquer. Does anybody know how SOON you can apply clear coat to lacquer or urethane? And if I do wait too long and have to scuff the base, what would you recommend I do it with? 600 grit wet sand? Grey scotch pad? other?

Thanks for the help!

Where and who mixed this paint for you? If they don't know what they mixed, I wouldn't use it.

Also, if you scuff base, you'll have to rebase, especially with a metallic as you'll mess up the color.

Henry

agtjamesb007
10-11-2016, 02:51 PM
Where and who mixed this paint for you? If they don't know what they mixed, I wouldn't use it.

Also, if you scuff base, you'll have to rebase, especially with a metallic as you'll mess up the color.

Henry

I'll have to get a hold of the guy who knows that stuff and mixes the paint there. The place is a PIA sometimes. So in anycase, the base must not be fully cured when you apply clear, since you would have to re base after you scuff if you wait to long?

Henry
10-11-2016, 09:53 PM
I'll have to get a hold of the guy who knows that stuff and mixes the paint there. The place is a PIA sometimes. So in anycase, the base must not be fully cured when you apply clear, since you would have to re base after you scuff if you wait to long?

No one can really comment until we know what paint type we are dealing with.

Find a paint supplier that knows how to help you.

Henry

agtjamesb007
10-14-2016, 03:05 PM
Its a urethane. Instructed I can apply clear as soon as 15 mins after base

Len
10-14-2016, 03:50 PM
Its a urethane. Instructed I can apply clear as soon as 15 mins after base

That will depend on the temperature and how heavily you spray the base. Let it dry a little.

agtjamesb007
10-15-2016, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I was assuming he meant can be done as early as 15 mins undear ideal conditions. I will wait longer so it can dry. I just wasnt sure if i should wait a week and have it cure, or several hours after the base so that it can "melt" and bond properly too it. But it seems to be the latter.