PDA

View Full Version : deck/car hvlp spraying system

airmike
09-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Len and all,
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'll ask the question anyway...

I need to refinish the deck on my house. I did it 4 years ago with a borrowed hvlp sprayer. Now I'm considering buying one for myself. The question is, can I buy a unit that I can use for spraying a vehicle, like the AXIS Citation 4 Stage Turbine -- Top System Special, for example, and use it to repaint the deck on my house? Possibly even using the turbine unit itself but with another gun dedicated to less critical work like applying paint to a vehicle?

Any other suggestions if there is a unit of multiple uses like this?

Don't shoot me too badly, I'm just trying to think out of the box...

Thanks for any and all thoughts and input,
Mike

dave_demented
09-02-2006, 10:09 AM
as long as the paint is thinned properly you can spray jsut about anything from a spraygun. i would not reccomend using the same gun to paint your car as your deck, unless you are 100% sure there is not one bit of the deck paint left in your gun, because residue might wreak havok with whatever paint you plan on using for your car.

Len
09-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Mike
You may need to use a different fluid tip for the deck paint IF the viscosity of the deck paint is much different than the automotive material. I would try spraying it with the automotive tip first before purchasing any additional tips.

airmike
09-02-2006, 10:14 AM
I forgot to mention that I do have an older Sears 5hp Twin compressor with a 30 gal tank. So, for hvlp applications, I could possibly use this with a variety of guns. I just would like to maximize my expenditures to get equipment that could be used for a variety of applications.

Thanks again,
Mike

Phil V
09-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Mike, that 5 hp sears compressor is putting out around 8 cfm @ 40 psi. The average HVLP gun uses around 13 cfm @ 40 psi. That means the gun is using almost twice as much air as the compressor is capable of putting out.
There is no way you will be able to spray an cars in one sitting with that air compressor. You will also run out of air relatively quickly using that air compressor to spray stain on your deck. You'd be better off with a Wagner power pro for the deck.

Assuming you bought a larger compressor that out out at least 12 cfm into a 60 gallon tank then I see no real reason to use a HVLP gun to spray stain on a wooden deck. A cheap Harbor Freight $20 taiwani conventional suction feed gun would do the job nicely spraying deck stain.