PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Ear sold by Len here on the site

TheCoatingStore.com

Phil V
04-04-2016, 08:12 AM
About 6 months ago Len ran a special sale on an item called the Chassis Ear. It has 6 different clip on wires that go to a control box with a switch that switches to each separate wire probe and there are a set of earphones that also plug into the control box. It's basically an accoustic or vibration "ear" that covers up to 6 different points on the vehicle at one time. I had a vibration on my Ford f150 4x4 that sounded like tire noise but I knew it wasn't tire noise. So logically it could have been a wheel bearing going out or it could have been a problem with the transfer case, bad u-joints on the front axle etc. I noticed the sound/vibration got louder or quieter when I turned the wheel a little to the left or right at 30 mph or higher. That to me narrowed it down to a front wheel bearing but I didn't know which wheel bearing. In order to change the bad wheel bearing I would have to buy the whole hub assembly my cost at $200 to $300 a side. For that kind of money I didn't want to guess which bearing left or right in the front of the truck was bad. Replace one side only to find out the other side was bad. I jacked up the front wheels off the ground and checked to bearing play and there was none on either side so it couldn't narrow it down that way. So I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try out the Chassis Ear kit I bought here on the website from Len. I clipped one wire to the front left wheel spindle and another wire to the front right spindle. Routed the wires into the cab through the door frame then plugged into the control box and plugged in the earphones. I took my 11 year old grandson with me on the test ride. We got up to road speed and I told my grandson to turn the control box on and and switch back and forth between the left spindle and the right spindle. He immediately pointed to the left spindle. So I put the ear phones on and asked him to switch back and forth between the two spindles. The right side had a quiet hum and the left side sounded like a lawn mower going through gravel. I replaced the front left bearing hub assembly and it's like new again, no noises or vibrations coming from the front end.

Bottom line is that I am very happy with the Chassis Ear diagnostic tool. Works fantastic.

MARTINSR
04-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Interesting! :scratchch

Brian

Henry
04-04-2016, 02:15 PM
About 6 months ago Len ran a special sale on an item called the Chassis Ear. It has 6 different clip on wires that go to a control box with a switch that switches to each separate wire probe and there are a set of earphones that also plug into the control box. It's basically an accoustic or vibration "ear" that covers up to 6 different points on the vehicle at one time. I had a vibration on my Ford f150 4x4 that sounded like tire noise but I knew it wasn't tire noise. So logically it could have been a wheel bearing going out or it could have been a problem with the transfer case, bad u-joints on the front axle etc. I noticed the sound/vibration got louder or quieter when I turned the wheel a little to the left or right at 30 mph or higher. That to me narrowed it down to a front wheel bearing but I didn't know which wheel bearing. In order to change the bad wheel bearing I would have to buy the whole hub assembly my cost at $200 to $300 a side. For that kind of money I didn't want to guess which bearing left or right in the front of the truck was bad. Replace one side only to find out the other side was bad. I jacked up the front wheels off the ground and checked to bearing play and there was none on either side so it couldn't narrow it down that way. So I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try out the Chassis Ear kit I bought here on the website from Len. I clipped one wire to the front left wheel spindle and another wire to the front right spindle. Routed the wires into the cab through the door frame then plugged into the control box and plugged in the earphones. I took my 11 year old grandson with me on the test ride. We got up to road speed and I told my grandson to turn the control box on and and switch back and forth between the left spindle and the right spindle. He immediately pointed to the left spindle. So I put the ear phones on and asked him to switch back and forth between the two spindles. The right side had a quiet hum and the left side sounded like a lawn mower going through gravel. I replaced the front left bearing hub assembly and it's like new again, no noises or vibrations coming from the front end.

Bottom line is that I am very happy with the Chassis Ear diagnostic tool. Works fantastic.

Quite a spew from that mouth of yours to me the other day and now here YOU are kissing ass.

You either came to your senses or are reverting back to your roots & ways of 18 years ago.

ATTACH=CONFIG]18162[/ATTACH]

Henry

Phil V
04-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Grow up, Henry ! I'm not kissing anyone's ass. I was simply reviewing a product that I was very impressed with and it happened to have been sold by Len here on the site.

Like my momma used to say " if you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all ". You can try doing exactly that or better yet don't reply to any of my messages and I won't reply to any of yours. There, see how easy that was ?

Henry
04-04-2016, 02:55 PM
Grow up, Henry ! I'm not kissing anyone's ass. I was simply reviewing a product that I was very impressed with and it happened to have been sold by Len here on the site.

Like my momma used to say " if you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all ". You can try doing exactly that or better yet don't reply to any of my messages and I won't reply to any of yours. There, see how easy that was ?

I am growing up. Problem has been, coming to this site for 18 years and growing up for 25% of my life on the site with you and your bull.

Through the "entire" forum you put Len down so often is what shocks me that you would say something positive. Then again, in the early years of us on the site, your WERE always looking for back door deals from Len. Funny, he was a good guy then (to you).

I'm certain your "momma" was a wonderful person but we'll leave family off limits.

Henry

Phil V
04-05-2016, 12:23 AM
Enough with the juvenile replies. Lets get back to the thread topic - the Chassis Ear. Excellent way to pinpoint squeaks, rattles, grinding noise etc etc. I wasn't aware they even made such a product commercially.

Henry
04-05-2016, 07:35 AM
Enough with the juvenile replies. Lets get back to the thread topic - the Chassis Ear. Excellent way to pinpoint squeaks, rattles, grinding noise etc etc. I wasn't aware they even made such a product commercially.

Why don't you post the tool instead of talking (and sucking up about it.

If you're talking about the stethoscope used for automotive repair, it's been around for many decades. If Len sold it, I wouldn't be surprised. If it's something else then share it with others.

Now, take a break from FOX and go search the store and post it.

And, by the way, the bearing in a knuckle and hub can be changed. You must use a press. One hammer blow and the bearing is no good.

Another thing, you actually can feel very slight play in that bearing with the wheel on, a jack under the control arm area and moving the wheel assembly at 12 & 6 o'clock.

Henry

Len
04-05-2016, 07:55 AM
Why don't you post the tool instead of talking (and sucking up about it.

If you're talking about the stethoscope used for automotive repair, it's been around for many decades. If Len sold it, I wouldn't be surprised. If it's something else then share it with others.

Now, take a break from FOX and go search the store and post it.

And, by the way, the bearing in a knuckle and hub can be changed. You must use a press. One hammer blow and the bearing is no good.

Another thing, you actually can feel very slight play in that bearing with the wheel on, a jack under the control arm area and moving the wheel assembly at 12 & 6 o'clock.

Henry

It's not necessary for Phil to post tools that I sell, that's my job. I appreciate that Phil purchased one from me. There are two different models found on the Body Shop Helpers page linked below.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/tnste6600.png (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ABS&Category_Code=5BSH)

Phil V
04-05-2016, 08:38 AM
It's not necessary for Phil to post tools that I sell, that's my job. I appreciate that Phil purchased one from me. There are two different models found on the Body Shop Helpers page linked below.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/tnste6600.png (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ABS&Category_Code=5BSH)

Ya, that's the one I bought and it is an excellent tool for pinpointing noises or vibrations.

Len
04-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Ya, that's the one I bought and it is an excellent tool for pinpointing noises or vibrations.

Phil, I also have to thank you for all those magnets you sent to me, I use them almost daily to hold plastic on the cars we work on.

Phil V
04-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Phil, I also have to thank you for all those magnets you sent to me, I use them almost daily to hold plastic on the cars we work on.

Those magnets came out of Ford Livonia (Michigan) transmission plant. If I remember correctly they made the Ford Taurus transmissions there. (long since closed and in it's place is a large RV dealer as well as a Menards home improvement store). I think I have 4 or 5 more of those magnets still. If I can round them up I will send them to you.