PDA

View Full Version : Black Streaks Help

tommie.b
03-10-2016, 05:10 AM
Hi I know this is not an automobile but hope some of the detail guys can help. Have a travel trailer we just bought with black streaks down the sides from top to bottom it is an 06 alum. siding and white. Have tried a few products but no luck. Thanks

xtremekustomz
03-10-2016, 06:04 AM
Hi I know this is not an automobile but hope some of the detail guys can help. Have a travel trailer we just bought with black streaks down the sides from top to bottom it is an 06 alum. siding and white. Have tried a few products but no luck. Thanks

Did you use some compound and a rotary? Those things are a single stage and usually stain pretty bad. I've never really tried to remove anything other than some oxidation though.

CraigS
03-10-2016, 10:29 AM
There is a black streak remover (several brands) made for RVs. In my experience they've just wiped off with the remover. Mine is still packed away for the winter or I'd go take a look and see what the ingredients are, but you should be able to find what it's made of online.
I found that if you search 'black streak remover' on RV forums, you'll get lots of opinions and new things to try.

Henry
03-10-2016, 02:11 PM

I put this out to you because, you asked, I keep doing it, it works and I'll keep doing it.

The product is Beche-Wite. Originally, formulated by WESLEY's, now by Black Magic Products.

What scares most people away from it is the word BLECHE which they associate with BLEACH. There is NO "Bleach" in this product. That was the name given near 50 years ago, when the product was first made to be a cleaner for whitewall tires. Name came, because as bleach would clean a white shirt, the name implied it would do the same to your wide whitewall tires - popular at the time. Got it?

NOTE: This stuff must be sprayed on a dry surface where you can SEE it start to work by lifting crud off of what it's sprayed on.

I've been using this stuff on interiors and painted exteriors, like I said, for some 30 years.

EXTERIORS: Let's say you have a car sitting for a long time. That nasty green mold has formed. This stuff will bring back the OEM finish and here's how;

You must start LOW on the vehicle. If you start HIGH, it will only run down, streak and not clean as you want it to. So, on a dry vehicle (not in the sun), spray at the bottom (let's say a door or quarter). Watch it start to loosen all the crud. Use a soft brush or towel dipped in a clean bucket of water and brush or wipe the sprayed product into the surface. Watch as it foams and removes all that green mold. (really shows on a white vehicle). Next is take the towel and while wet, let if run down the door so the remains of crud and soap don't dry BUT don't get the surrounding surfaces wet.

Work your way to get the entire side of the vehicle done and clean, then you can use a hose and let the water run down the side. Then you can move on to the hood and trunk and the roof last.

When the whole car is done and clean, you can hose it all off. Use a good carwash if you wish at this point. Dry the car and leave it or polish it. It will look like new OEM paint.

INTERIOR: On carpets, cloth seats and plastics, first vacuum the area. Again, on a dry surface and let's use a seat as an example, start on the side or ass part of the seat. On a bench seat, spray the seat part in three sections. This will allow what you're working on to remain wet with product and loosen dirt. If you spray an entire seat at once, it would begin to dry before you could work the product in with a brush. On fabric, you can really see the dirt be lifted into the foam. Dip your cleaning brush to rinse it off in a bucket of water and brush again. Do this until the soapy foam is clean or you think you've done enough. Take a damp to wet towel and push as you wipe the surface to remove any lasting product, foam and dirt.

Maybe I've explained enough to get you going. I have removed seats and did them outside the vehicle and used a garden hose to rinse them off - they were THAT BAD with stain. Turn them so the water drains out of them in the sun. They look like BRAND NEW after.

One day I'm gonna make a video of me cleaning as I explained because, seeing is believing with this process.

Afraid to try? Go find a car sitting in a field somewhere and experiment or find a seat or carpet that's really dirty and experiment (how I said to) with that.

Let me know how you make out PLEASE.

Henry

tommie.b
03-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Thanks Henry your always helpful. I will go buy it tomorrow and let you know.

tommie.b
03-13-2016, 07:07 AM
Henry NOW you have me in a lot of trouble........................now my wife want me to clean everything around here! LOL
In all fairness this rv 's finish is real bad and quite worn so the Bleach-white cleaner worked very good and great on the better surfaces. These black streaks are embedded in the paint and in some spots the paint has worn off the aluminum siding to bare aluminum. the tires and wheels cleaned up very nice. All and all the camper looks nice and quite an improvement. Will be trying it on other thing around here altho I use to use it for whitewalls years ago but was told by Cooker Tire not to use it on my new tires from them. Ithink they wanted be to buy there cleaner.
But thank you so much for all your help Tom