PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with 3D AAT Rubbing Compound

dlmrun2002
12-22-2015, 03:29 PM
My buddy said he just started using this in his shop and he loves it. Looking for others to chime.

NMNA

dlm ny country

Len
12-22-2015, 05:30 PM
My buddy said he just started using this in his shop and he loves it. Looking for others to chime.

NMNA

dlm ny country

Never heard of it but it's probably good because it sure costs a lot.

xtremekustomz
12-23-2015, 01:31 PM
I haven't tried any yet but if it is anything like their other products you will love it. I use the HD Cut and HD Polish regularly. Probably order some of this and give it a try next.

Henry
12-23-2015, 03:40 PM
I haven't tried any yet but if it is anything like their other products you will love it. I use the HD Cut and HD Polish regularly. Probably order some of this and give it a try next.

I watched a 13 minute video test of 4 products including this one on YouTube at SEMA 2014. All I could think of is our own ROBERT and wish he was still around.

Hoping your "holiday season" goes well for you and yours.

Henry

xtremekustomz
01-20-2016, 09:51 PM
Just got a gallon in today. I will be trying it out soon. I have a few compounds and will do a heads up comparison. I have the AAT, HD Cut, Meguiars M105 and 3m 06085. I will probably do some sections with 1200 only, 1500 only and 3000 only. Just to see how fast they cut and what they look like after the cut. I have the original hood off of my truck which is black. The paint on it is about 8 years old.

xtremekustomz
01-22-2016, 05:43 PM
Went by a shop today and grabbed a couple used fenders to try the new 3D AAT compound on. I used the HD wool pad for initial cut. I sanded a spot with some 1200 and another with some 1500. It cut very fast but left some swirls behind due to the wool pad. I ran over it with an orange foam pad and I would say it was a 8 out of 10 appearance on black paint. On most other colors I don't think any other steps would have been needed. I did a quick run over with the HD Polish on a white pad and it came out perfect. I did a wipe down with some wax & grease remover and it looked the same as before I wiped it. I think I will be happy with the purchase. I ended up getting 20% off plus free shipping so it was $140 for the gallon. $35/qt seems on par with most other compounds out there these days.

Henry
01-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Went by a shop today and grabbed a couple used fenders to try the new 3D AAT compound on. I used the HD wool pad for initial cut. I sanded a spot with some 1200 and another with some 1500. It cut very fast but left some swirls behind due to the wool pad. I ran over it with an orange foam pad and I would say it was a 8 out of 10 appearance on black paint. On most other colors I don't think any other steps would have been needed. I did a quick run over with the HD Polish on a white pad and it came out perfect. I did a wipe down with some wax & grease remover and it looked the same as before I wiped it. I think I will be happy with the purchase. I ended up getting 20% off plus free shipping so it was $140 for the gallon. $35/qt seems on par with most other compounds out there these days.

So how would you compare it to other compounds you've used? As good, better, best?

Also, have you ever tried PRESTA? Very good stuff but a 3 step process.

Henry

xtremekustomz
01-23-2016, 12:10 PM
So how would you compare it to other compounds you've used? As good, better, best?

Also, have you ever tried PRESTA? Very good stuff but a 3 step process.

Henry

Out of the ones I've used I like it the best. I used that 3M for a while and it worked pretty good but it did seem to have some oils in it that once they evaporated you would still have more compounding to do. I had the same issues with the Meguiars M105. I could cut with an orange foam pad and it would look great but the next day you could see the scratches. The HD Cut worked but it took a longer time than the AAT. I never really tried to cut anything other than 1500 grit though. This stuff destroys 1200 with their wool pad and does it quickly. I made a little video using my ipad (first edition so the video isn't the highest quality). I'm not sure why but with the bright light it looks like there are some holograms but to the naked eye they aren't there. I cleaned the lens but maybe it has some fine marring in it. This compound is water based as well and a spritz of water will re-activate it for longer cutting time which is already a plus.

Flashlight Shot:

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/xtremekustomz/misc/hdaat1_zpstv13koqq.jpg (http://s633.photobucket.com/user/xtremekustomz/media/misc/hdaat1_zpstv13koqq.jpg.html)

Sun shot:

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/xtremekustomz/misc/hdaat2_zpsxs4hbe43.jpg (http://s633.photobucket.com/user/xtremekustomz/media/misc/hdaat2_zpsxs4hbe43.jpg.html)

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrUKAOFBxYk&feature=youtu.be

Henry
01-23-2016, 02:56 PM
Congratulations on making a video. I watched the whole thing.

What was the black bottle you used last?

Also, when you started, was that black pad dry? Have you tried to "SEASON" the pad as ROBERT has shown in the past? Just seems to make the product work a little more effortlessly.

Now, was that sanding you did with the 1200 over fresh paint or over something painted and color sanded prior. Then you sanded again to show how the ATT worked? You're right, seemed to have worked quickly.

I'm still using Sure Finish and still please with my results.

Lastly, is the orange pad you used one that ROBERT introduced and from Len? (not sure of name but try ARTICULATED foam?)

I admire your determination and KEEP the VIDEOS coming.

Henry

xtremekustomz
01-23-2016, 03:09 PM
Congratulations on making a video. I watched the whole thing.

What was the black bottle you used last?

That is the 3d HD Polish. I noticed that it didn't show up very well in the video.

Also, when you started, was that black pad dry? Have you tried to "SEASON" the pad as ROBERT has shown in the past? Just seems to make the product work a little more effortlessly.

Yes the pad was dry. It was the HD wool pad that they sell. I normally season the foam pads. I didn't end up doing that on this video though. The compound has a pretty long working time and with a spritz of water it will continue to cut.

Now, was that sanding you did with the 1200 over fresh paint or over something painted and color sanded prior. Then you sanded again to show how the ATT worked? You're right, seemed to have worked quickly.

That sanding was on a factory painted fender. I cut and sanded over it last night to see how it would work out and then did the same area today. I have another blue fender I will probably play around with. I might even do it with some 1000 and see what it does with it. Obviously I wouldn't do that to a real car without going finer but I'm interested in seeing if it will cut it.

Lastly, is the orange pad you used one that ROBERT introduced and from Len? (not sure of name but try ARTICULATED foam?)

The orange and white pads are Lake Country I believe. I bought them a while back so I'm not sure. I've come to like using the smaller 5.5-6" pads instead of the 7-8" pads. They are easier to control and maneuver into tight areas.