PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have good way repair a leaky oil pan?

TheCoatingStore.com

SStampede
11-17-2015, 11:13 AM
Besides replacing it, it's an 03 Dodge Ram 1500.

Thanks.

Len
11-17-2015, 11:23 AM
Besides replacing it, it's an 03 Dodge Ram 1500.

Thanks.

Do you know where it's leaking? Is it at the gasket, at the plug or is the pan rusted though. Sometimes the leak is above the pad and runs down where it looks like it's the pan that's leaking.

fenders
11-17-2015, 02:07 PM
What Len said. Diagnose it properly. That probably means some degreaser and a trip to the car wash. Get it safely up on jackstands and watch it leak before you make an unnecessary move. Could be an oil pan, rear main seal, or something much simpler up higher and running down the block.

SStampede
11-18-2015, 08:47 AM
There is a rust hole in the pan, I thought about draining the pan grind around the hole and epoxy the hole up.

Thanks.

bmarler
11-18-2015, 09:17 AM
i'd replace it or weld it. but, if your going to epoxy it look into a product called splash zone. this stuff is pretty amazing. i actually repaired a leak in a 50hp screw compressor heat exchanger with it. there's about 150 psi working against it.
the directions will say to add a little water to the 2 part mix to make it more pliable but don't use water, instead use a little of the same oil thats in the engine.
i know, this sounds crazy but an old timer fisherman told me about this stuff and some of the repairs they made out in the bering sea are eye watering for sure.
drain the pan, remove the paint and rust and apply the patch. let it sit overnight before filling.

Henry
11-18-2015, 11:45 AM
There is a rust hole in the pan, I thought about draining the pan grind around the hole and epoxy the hole up.

Thanks.

Just get another oil pan, new or bone yard.

That being said, I really do like the product bmarler spoke about. Probably nice stuff to have around.

Whose tuck anyway? Just curious if this is another one of your buys.

Good luck.

Henry

Henry
11-18-2015, 11:54 AM
i'd replace it or weld it. but, if your going to epoxy it look into a product called splash zone. this stuff is pretty amazing. i actually repaired a leak in a 50hp screw compressor heat exchanger with it. there's about 150 psi working against it.
the directions will say to add a little water to the 2 part mix to make it more pliable but don't use water, instead use a little of the same oil thats in the engine.
i know, this sounds crazy but an old timer fisherman told me about this stuff and some of the repairs they made out in the bering sea are eye watering for sure.
drain the pan, remove the paint and rust and apply the patch. let it sit overnight before filling.

I looked into this stuff and feel I need to have some. Don't know for what but, hell it sounds good:

http://www.pettitpaint.com/product.asp?id=191

http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare/product_pds/Splash-Zone.pdf

I think if he did a repair he would have to remove the pan in order to get ALL the remains of the wet oil. That thing would seep oil till after the new year comes!

Thanks for posting that product. Good to know about.

Henry

Phil V
11-18-2015, 08:33 PM

Thanks.

Some oil pans are really a bastard to remove and replace but if its not one of those then I would replace it with either a new oil pan or a good used one from the car bone yard.

If you grind that rust where the oil is leaking now you are absolutely going to end up with a bigger hole in the pan. Point being if you epoxy that hole shut and it doesn't adhere properly and your chunk of repair epoxy falls off the pan while you're going down the road and all the oil drains out you would at that point be talking about replacing the whole englne. What is a motor going to cost to replace compared to a replacing the oil pan ? (that's a rhetorical question).

Len
11-18-2015, 09:57 PM
If I had a rust hole in an oil pan I'd buy a new pan or I'd remove it, cut out the rust and weld in a patch. But I must admit that the epoxy sounds like a time savior if it works.

junk
11-19-2015, 06:43 AM
I'm not in general a paint an engine for a daily driver kind of guy. But when an oil pan comes off I paint them everytime. Epoxy and enamal. Try to keep the rust at bay on an item that's a pain to change.

Personally if you can't just drop the pan as the truck sits I'd try the epoxy stuff. I agree with the others if it fails it could be catastrophic, but having to pull the engine just for an oil pan would really suck also.

My folks sold a van because of a rusty oil pan. The people they sold it to epoxied and ran it for years like that. Good Luck!

bmarler
11-19-2015, 09:39 AM
yep, that splash zone stuff is really amazing. if you don't get all the oil from the pan it's no big deal. like i said, just mix a small amount of the motor oil into the 2 part mix. it seems to make the epoxy morph into whatever you're trying to patch. for gas tanks you mix in gas, for water,mix in water. on that compressor radiator i mixed in compressor oil. (i know, sounds crazy, but it seems to work.)
i also recently used it to install a set of linear bearings into an older knife grinder for sharpening finger joint cutterheads. it's really durable.
(not a representative for splash zone!)
also as said before, if the repair fails and the oil drains from the pan it would be very bad. so after it cures i'd pick at it to be sure it's a solid patch.
or, like i said in the first place, weld or replace it.

SStampede
01-12-2016, 12:36 PM
Update: Well I just ending up replacing the pan, I had another one in the garage, had to buy a new pan gasket, and make a tool to remove the pan.

Thanks.

Len
01-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Update: Well I just ending up replacing the pan, I had another one in the garage, had to buy a new pan gasket, and make a tool to remove the pan.

Thanks.

Did you have to make a tool because of the location of the fasteners?

SStampede
01-13-2016, 08:50 AM
I couldnt get the pan separated from the block, the gasket was on there real good. I made tool like this one, but I used a putty knife blade. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-08978-Scraper-Stiff-4-In-W-Carbon-Steel-/381013342384?hash=item58b62a38b0:g:MYYAAOSwwPhWhyP x

Thanks.