PDA

View Full Version : New Paint Protection

TheCoatingStore.com

tommie.b
10-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Hi all..............what are you guys using to help protect the new or fresh paint on antique cars ? I don't use wax for 6 months after refinishing them. my cars are garaged but are driven a lot and out in sun and some rain. thanks

xtremekustomz
10-03-2015, 09:12 PM
Hi all..............what are you guys using to help protect the new or fresh paint on antique cars ? I don't use wax for 6 months after refinishing them. my cars are garaged but are driven a lot and out in sun and some rain. thanks

Look into Optimum Car Wax. It is a spray and is fresh paint safe. Just make sure you don't use a paint sealant.

Obsford
10-03-2015, 10:01 PM
I have some Optimum spray wax. Did not realize it was fresh paint safe. Have to check out my bottle when I get the chance. Thanks

Len
10-04-2015, 06:45 AM
I have some Optimum spray wax. Did not realize it was fresh paint safe. Have to check out my bottle when I get the chance. Thanks

Do you know what kind of paint is on the car, lacquer, enamel, urethane and how long has it been since it's been painted?

xtremekustomz
10-04-2015, 07:49 AM

Yeah give them a call at optimum polymer technologies.

tommie.b
10-04-2015, 08:51 AM
Yes Glasurit clear and I just redid the car about 30 days ago. thanks

Len
10-04-2015, 10:23 AM
Yes Glasurit clear and I just redid the car about 30 days ago. thanks

If the weather has been warm (over 70 F) you can put any sealant on top. I've sealed show cars two weeks after applying Glasurit with no problems.

tommie.b
10-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Oh and the finish doesn't haze a little? Did you see the car a few months later. thanks Len

Len
10-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Oh and the finish doesn't haze a little? Did you see the car a few months later. thanks Len

I saw the car at an indoor show about a month later and it looked great however I should have added another variable. If slow reducer was used in the painting process it could take longer before it's safe to seal, I used medium speed reducer and waited two weeks before final polishing and sealing the surface. It's all about allowing the solvent to escape so that you don't trap it in the finish. With only about 10% to 15% solvent in the first coat or two of clear it won't take long for it to escape, it's not like lacquer (50% solvent) where the drying takes place on the surface trapping the solvent so that it takes months to "dry". Glasurit "hardens" and the small amount of solvent doesn't take that long to escape. However the two major variables are the speed of the reducer used and the temperature while curing.

Phil V
10-08-2015, 09:43 AM
That not waxing newer paint for months goes back to the lacquer days which were air dried type of paint. The current paints we use now are chemically hardened and at a couple weeks it should be as "dry" or cured as it's ever going to get. There is a problem if a catalyzed urethane paint dulls out a couple weeks after. (bad paint).