PDA

View Full Version : Hoses Do you guys ever change them?

TheCoatingStore.com

junk
09-16-2015, 09:05 PM
Like it says do you guys ever change hoses on cars anymore? I can't remember the last time I had a hose degrade to the point that we needed to replace it. I've changed them because they were old, but not because they were failed. I'm guessing the hose material and coolant have gotten better.

Just wondering if you guys were noticing the same.

-Jeremy

Henry
09-17-2015, 02:13 AM
Like it says do you guys ever change hoses on cars anymore? I can't remember the last time I had a hose degrade to the point that we needed to replace it. I've changed them because they were old, but not because they were failed. I'm guessing the hose material and coolant have gotten better.

Just wondering if you guys were noticing the same.

-Jeremy

You said: "coolant have gotten better" and hoses.............

Coolant works best when maintained and changed on a regular basis.

Many years ago, coolant was full of good additives.

Then, the price per gallon went up over 4 times.

People, garages, dealers bitched so the coolant makers said you want cheaper prices, you'll get ethylene glycol and no additives.
Used to be you had waterpump lube, anti-rust inhibitors and other good things in the coolant. Suddenly, they're gone.

Never did come back. GM came out with some crap they said was good for 100K miles. Not true, and all it really did was mess up intake gaskets.

HOSES: I maintain, the best hoses and belts you get are on a new car. Through the years they seem to last a really long time. Go and change one and you get a year or two out of the replacement.

Hands down, GATES has made the best belts and hoses but with the local autoparts places gone and replaced by the big box auto parts (give me your money outfits Autozone, etc) the parts are crap.

Often, a hose leaks because the clamp itself has lost its ability to hold the hose tight enough.

Let me send you a winning powerball ticket and you can junk that thing and buy a couple new cars. You gotta keep your truck though.

Henry