PDA

View Full Version : Have I made a mistake in hiring the local, mobile "dent guy"?

TheCoatingStore.com

hcashew
08-31-2015, 04:00 PM
He offered to take out a dent and retouch the paint.

He did a decent (though not perfect) job on removing the dent, bondo, primed it, etc. But he had to order the proper factory paint for my Honda Civic. Aerosol spray. Will the touch up job match the car with a proper finish and buffing, or is it going to look ghetto and patchy?

I realize I tried to save some $ in hiring this guy, but if I cant get the paint spot-on, perhaps I should just cut my loss and start over?

Len
08-31-2015, 04:28 PM

He did a decent (though not perfect) job on removing the dent, bondo, primed it, etc. But he had to order the proper factory paint for my Honda Civic. Aerosol spray. Will the touch up job match the car with a proper finish and buffing, or is it going to look ghetto and patchy?

I realize I tried to save some $ in hiring this guy, but if I cant get the paint spot-on, perhaps I should just cut my loss and start over?

Some folks that do this type of work do a good job but if he's waiting for an aerosol I doubt that it's going to be spot on. However I'd say since you've gone this far I'd probably let him finish the job then decide if you should get another shop to do it again. What was the charge for the work? Painting one panel at a shop could cost from $200 to $500 depending on the shop, the color and the quality of the materials used.

hcashew
08-31-2015, 04:57 PM
I paid him $400 after bodyshops quoted me for $1200.

Is there a reason aerosol is less effective? What would be the best?

SStampede
08-31-2015, 06:50 PM
What color is you Civic?

Thanks.

hcashew
08-31-2015, 09:07 PM
What color is you Civic?

Thanks.

Its black, the factory color is crystal pearl black.

Len
09-01-2015, 06:45 AM
I paid him $400 after bodyshops quoted me for $1200.

Is there a reason aerosol is less effective? What would be the best?

Depending on the location and size of the damage a shop could blend the color and apply clear over the entire panel, an aerosol would probably be somewhat inferior in a couple different ways. Proper atomizing and blending is difficult with and aerosol and most quality clears are a two part product that is mixed using a hardener that needs to be sprayed soon after mixing. Some aerosols can use a two part clear but most will not and the paint will age quickly.

Henry
09-01-2015, 09:06 AM

Usually, the guys I've seen in the backyards of car dealers work out of their truck. They have base coats for the jobs they do, then apply clear. I've seen some outstanding blends (off the back of a pick up truck!)

A word of caution on aerosol (buzz bomb paints). Local paint jobbers CAN mix a base coat into a spray can, for a users convenience that you can trust.

Use caution when just buying a buzz bomb like Duplicolor which is a lacquer base. Often, the urethane clear applied on top will peel down the road when the clear is chipped. Anyone ever experience this?

Henry

hcashew
09-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Depending on the location and size of the damage a shop could blend the color and apply clear over the entire panel, an aerosol would probably be somewhat inferior in a couple different ways. Proper atomizing and blending is difficult with and aerosol and most quality clears are a two part product that is mixed using a hardener that needs to be sprayed soon after mixing. Some aerosols can use a two part clear but most will not and the paint will age quickly.

Thanks that really helps.

Perhaps I should insist on something other than aerosol before we restart. Any recommendations?

Len
09-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Thanks that really helps.

Perhaps I should insist on something other than aerosol before we restart. Any recommendations?

It can be done using hardened clear if it can be mixed and sprayed. There are some aerosols that have a hardener in a separate container in the can and their is the Preval Sprayer that allows you to mix the paint and use the sprayer to apply it. However neither of these methods are as good as the proper use of a spray gun.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/preval.jpg
Preval Sprayer Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ABS&Category_Code=P2)

Henry
09-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Its black, the factory color is crystal pearl black.

You know, I first commented saying a paint supply house is able to mix base coat and put it into an aerosol can. Then, your guy can buzz that on and use his gun to clear coat the base coat. HOWEVER!!!

You need to find out if your paint is 2 or 3 stage. Will make a big difference in matching.

Two stage is your color, then clear.

Three stage is, your color, then pearl coat, then clear, in three separate applications. Pretty hard to do from a can.

Find your paint code on your vehicle and phone a paint supply store and find out what you have. You might not want to attack the body guy you have because the jury is still out on what his plans are.

Have you seen his work before or is this a first time encounter? Does he use a spray gun or buzz bomb for clear? You will not get a good clear coat out of a spray can. What Len showed you is about the closest 'cheater' way of doing it and as he said, won't take the place of a spray gun. Hell, yours is a new vehicle. You get what you pay for and often you get screwed. The price at a real bodyshop will look good to you if this guy is using spray cans of color AND clear.

What has he done already? Did he prime the area? Spray can primer? What kind?

Does your car run? I'm only asking cuz I'd get in it and drive away.

You need an understanding before you jump into this or any other type repair. LKQ stands for Like, Kind & Quality. There is no buzz bomb in there. You want your repair according to factory standards.

Henry

hcashew
09-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Thanks everyone. Ive decided to change my course and hit a solid body shop.

Im trying to get my car in nice with Uber inspectors so I can start driving with them and going cheap wouldnt help my cause.

Henry
09-03-2015, 06:07 AM
Thanks everyone. Ive decided to change my course and hit a solid body shop.

Im trying to get my car in nice with Uber inspectors so I can start driving with them and going cheap wouldnt help my cause.

Keep us up to date on your dealings and outcome.

The general public has the notion that autobody repair people make money hand over fist. Fact is, IMO, they don't get paid what they're worth and the majority of the high prices paid go for the materials they have to buy.

Henry

SStampede
09-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Keep us up to date on your dealings and outcome.

The general public has the notion that autobody repair people make money hand over fist. Fact is, IMO, they don't get paid what they're worth and the majority of the high prices paid go for the materials they have to buy.

Henry

How true!!!

SStampede.