PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wax?

junk
07-23-2015, 01:17 PM
What wax do you guys use? Do you use wax? I'm thinking a good coat of wax would make it easier to get the dirt off my vehicles even living in rural Iowa.

Thanks
Jeremy

Bob K
07-23-2015, 04:32 PM
I never wax anything.

Bob K

05daytonahemi
07-23-2015, 09:48 PM
I never wax anything.

Bob K

Why don't you wax?

style
07-24-2015, 12:31 AM
I use https://hilustre.com/ after another member here pointed me in their direction..

don't waste your time anywhere else..

junk
07-24-2015, 03:22 PM
I never wax either, but thinking about trying it.

Style - Looks like the site sells a carnuba spray wax? is that the stuff you use?

xtremekustomz
07-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Look into optimum gloss coat or something similar if you want it to last

style
07-24-2015, 05:06 PM
I never wax either, but thinking about trying it.

Style - Looks like the site sells a carnuba spray wax? is that the stuff you use?

cant remember them all but I like to use cut it and finish it white pearl glaze they have a final wax that's a super hydrophobic cant remember the name..tire dressing is good too..

style
07-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Look into optimum gloss coat or something similar if you want it to last

links would be nice...

xtremekustomz
07-24-2015, 05:55 PM
links would be nice...

Can't link items for sale. Against forum policy. A simple search will find it

style
07-24-2015, 07:14 PM
Can't link items for sale. Against forum policy. A simple search will find it

Against forum policy lol,only if its autogeek.. Might as well flush your money down the toilet if your gonna buy anything from there..
Ill stick with the best.. No need for compromise..

xtremekustomz
07-24-2015, 08:12 PM
Against forum policy lol,only if its autogeek.. Might as well flush your money down the toilet if your gonna buy anything from there..
Ill stick with the best.. No need for compromise..

Actually they sell it on their website too. There is no "best." There is personal preference.

Bob K
07-25-2015, 12:56 AM
Why don't you wax?

Clear coat protects the base coat. Don't see a need for wax.

Bob K

xtremekustomz
07-25-2015, 06:16 AM
Clear coat protects the base coat. Don't see a need for wax.

Bob K

I've never used wax for basecoat protection. I use it for appearance and lubrication purposes. A vehicle that has been sealed or waxed is easier to clean and you are less likely to induce micro marring.

Here is a write up of some of the new coatings offered
http://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing-product-discussion/157479-grand-finale-optimum-opti-coating-durability-test-review.html?highlight=opticoat+durability+test

junk
07-25-2015, 04:07 PM
I've never used wax for basecoat protection. I use it for appearance and lubrication purposes. A vehicle that has been sealed or waxed is easier to clean and you are less likely to induce micro marring.

Here is a write up of some of the new coatings offered
http://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing-product-discussion/157479-grand-finale-optimum-opti-coating-durability-test-review.html?highlight=opticoat+durability+test

The cleaning aspects of wax was what I was looking for. Living on gravel roads my cars are always dirty, but I'm hoping wax will make them clean up better.

- Jeremy

TOGWT
08-01-2015, 07:12 AM
In the interest of full disclosure, I am in no way affiliated with, employed by, have any vested interest, or in any way receive compensation from the sale or distribution of any of the product lines reviewed or the company that manufactures or markets it. No endorsement of companies or their products mentioned is intended, nor is criticism implied of similar companies or their products if they are omitted.

Optimum Gloss-Coat - is an advanced polymer system that forms a layer of clear coat over the automotive finishes. It provides scratch and mar resistance, UV resistance, chemical etch resistance, and has better release properties than any other consumer product while providing unsurpassed gloss and slickness. Additionally, you can top Optimum Gloss-Coat with any non-abrasive wax or sealant of your choice to add additional gloss and slickness.

Since Optimum Gloss-Coat bonds to surfaces it is applied to, any paint imperfections, waxes and oils must be removed from the surfaces before application for proper bonding.

Directions:
1. Polish paint to remove any defects.
2. Clean surface with 15% IPA solution to remove all polishing oils, waxes, and silicones.
3. Prime the applicator by making an X pattern across the pad. Only a few drops will be needed for each subsequent panel.
4. Wipe Optimum Gloss-Coat onto a single panel at a time in a thin layer using two directions, in a circular or front to back direction.
5. Within 5 minutes, inspect the panel with adequate lighting looking for any thick areas that have not flashed away to clear.
6. Use foam applicator or paint safe microfiber to even out any areas where you see streaks. This step is key, as any spots not levelled will have to be polished if allowed to cure. Panels will feel a bit tacky and will be self-levelling during cure time, so avoid any unnecessary touching, wiping, or contact to produce the best results.
7. Repeat steps 1-6 for each panel where application is desired.