PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Panel Edges with Rotary

TheCoatingStore.com

Obsford
07-16-2015, 08:22 AM
Hello everyone new to the forum. Just wondering how you buff the edges of doors. I understand the whole buffing off the edge idea and use that whenever possible. But where the two doors come together if you buff off the one edge your cutting into the next one. Meaning if you tilt the buffer up the one side of pad is going off the edge and one side is digging in. Do you just keep your pad back and run it along the edge? Hope that question makes sense and I appreciate any help:thumb:

Len
07-16-2015, 08:35 AM
Hello everyone new to the forum. Just wondering how you buff the edges of doors. I understand the whole buffing off the edge idea and use that whenever possible. But where the two doors come together if you buff off the one edge your cutting into the next one. Meaning if you tilt the buffer up the one side of pad is going off the edge and one side is digging in. Do you just keep your pad back and run it along the edge? Hope that question makes sense and I appreciate any help:thumb:

There are a couple methods that we normally use along the edge where two panels come together. We will mostly buff with the rotation going along the edges but sometimes we will block open the door or lid so that we're only hitting one panel or we will sometimes put masking tape on the opposite edge. If we are taping on fresh paint we will normally run the tape along our pant leg to remove some of it's sticking power and remove it as soon as possible.

Phil V
07-16-2015, 10:50 AM
I agree with Len and to add a little more clarity to what he said - say you have a 4 door car and you get to the rear edge of the front door where it meets the front edge of the back door. Open the front door a crack so the buffing pad isn't making contact with the rear door. When you do the front edge of the rear door you have to open the front door some so the pad isn't making contact with the front door. Goes the same thing with all the other panel edges which works in 98% of the buffing but in a few cases you need a small air buffer (3" or 4" pad) and in even more extreme cases you end up buffing small spots by hand. (pain in the ass and it's harder to get a good shine by hand compared to a rotary buffer ).

Len
07-16-2015, 12:34 PM
I agree with Len and to add a little more clarity to what he said - say you have a 4 door car and you get to the rear edge of the front door where it meets the front edge of the back door. Open the front door a crack so the buffing pad isn't making contact with the rear door. When you do the front edge of the rear door you have to open the front door some so the pad isn't making contact with the front door. Goes the same thing with all the other panel edges which works in 98% of the buffing but in a few cases you need a small air buffer (3" or 4" pad) and in even more extreme cases you end up buffing small spots by hand. (pain in the ass and it's harder to get a good shine by hand compared to a rotary buffer ).

We've been using the 3" air polisher below, it works in those tight spots and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/CP-7201P.jpe
LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=CP7201P&Category_Code=T2)

Obsford
07-17-2015, 07:08 AM
Thanks a million for the help guys