PDA

View Full Version : P0446 Code, 2005 Chevy Equinox.

TheCoatingStore.com

SStampede
05-28-2015, 09:45 AM
I have replaced the vent valve, and purge valve, blow out the vent tube, there was alot of dirt in the tube. I've read it's either the vapor canister or the gas tank pressure sensor. My question is, is there check valves in the canister, and has anyone dealt with this before? I'm thinking the canister is clogged, not letting the system bleed pressure off.

Thanks.

junk
05-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Eric the Car guy is the best resource for car trouble shooting i've found. If he's dealt with what your dealing with. He uses pretty basic methods for testing. He's on Youtube and has his own website also I believe.

Good luck on finding the issue! EGR/Evap stuff can be very iritating. Doesn't affect drivability, but trips lights all the time.

- Jeremy

Henry
05-28-2015, 10:32 AM
My youngest daughter had a Chrysler T&C van that gave an EVAP code. I looked under the hood and could see splits in the very soft tubing MOPAR used near the radiator support. I changed that section to a heavier tubing and shut the "check engine" light.

All was fine but it came back on in a couple months. Dealer replacement EVAP kit (front to back) was $26. Procrastinated and put black electrical tape over the light this time.

Forgot about it and it was now time for federal emission test AGAIN. Here is how to beat the test:

FILL THE GAS TANK, clear the code, ride around to reset the sensors. Once reset and with the tank FULL, go for the emission test and you will pass.

That entire EVAP system ONLY works when it can detect a vacuum leak (fuel vapors leaking into the atmosphere). With the tank full, you can't have a leak.

As far as testing the system (single or double tubing from front to rear of car), you can either blow air from the front, usually on a lift and with a helper, or you can opt for a 'smoke test'. This test is where smoke is blown through the lines and you can see where they leak out.

Suggestion is change the complete line(s). Then test from there to find any other condition or check valve not working.

Henry

Henry
05-28-2015, 10:52 AM
I have replaced the vent valve, and purge valve, blow out the vent tube, there was alot of dirt in the tube. I've read it's either the vapor canister or the gas tank pressure sensor. My question is, is there check valves in the canister, and has anyone dealt with this before? I'm thinking the canister is clogged, not letting the system bleed pressure off.

Thanks.

You might check the intake manifold. Not sure on your vehicle but some have check valves in that location. Follow the tubing. These systems are a pain in the buttocks.

Just did a Google and saw someone say there is a Factory Technical Bulletin for the 2005. Here is the link:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=P0446+Code%2C+2005+Chevy+Equinox

Henry

EDIT: check this also looks like a fix: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/threads/quick-fix-for-code-p0446-evap-emissions-vent-circuit-low.18964/

SStampede
05-28-2015, 01:39 PM
I hate emission codes, starting to get pissed off! Lucky I don't have testing, I've read alot about this with GM, I will try to check to see if the canister is clogged.

Thanks.

Henry
05-28-2015, 05:55 PM
I hate emission codes, starting to get pissed off! Lucky I don't have testing, I've read alot about this with GM, I will try to check to see if the canister is clogged.

Thanks.

What state do you live in with no testing? I know of only one state who told the government to shove their emission testing up their ass and refused to do it.

Henry

Mooch
05-29-2015, 12:53 AM
What state do you live in with no testing? I know of only one state who told the government to shove their emission testing up their ass and refused to do it.

Henry

Florida has no testing at all Henry .

mooch

Henry
05-29-2015, 04:10 AM
Florida has no testing at all Henry .

mooch

Oh shit, time goes by quickly when you get old(er). I mean me mooch.

Was just yesterday (actually late 70's) when the government started the emission testing of vehicles (except diesels) as part of the clean air act. States were given tax dollars (supposedly) for HI way improvement.

At the time, Maine said (to the government) they won't do it and did not. Government told them, then you won't get Funding for your Hi ways. Maine said, so keep it, who cares. It's only vacationers who really use our HI ways anyway. Maine further said and was their argument, many factories moved here and we are loaded with polluting smoke stacks. You want emission control then control those polluters first, not our residents.

Guess I didn't get the email about FL, mooch. (Lord knows what other states don't do it) my bad!

Henry

Phil V
05-29-2015, 10:04 AM
Michigan has no vehicle testing either. My daughter lives in Pittsburgh PA and that states testing system is out and out EXTORTION ! I did a complete brake job on her car, replaced the tie rod ends and did some other work on her car while she was here in Michigan visiting and when she got back to PA it was time for the annual vehicle test. The ass holes at the shop she brought her car to (that I just repaired ) told her he brakes were bad and one tie rod end was bad and it would cost her $600 to get her inspection sticker after they repaired the brakes and did the tie rod end. She told them her dad works on cars for a living and that the work they said it needed was just done. They told her they would not release her car to her because it " was not safe to drive on the road " so they held her car ransom until she paid them the $600. This kind of crap has happened on a couple different cars of hers and her mothers that I know for a fact there was nothing wrong with them. It is straight out legal thievery in the PA vehicle inspection racket. The federal DOJ should look into it instead of trying to indict every cop in America for racial bias.

Henry
05-29-2015, 11:30 AM
Guys, sorry, I DO NOT mean SAFETY inspection. We no longer have that either.

I'm talking about EMISSION and bad things coming out the exhaust; too many Hydro Carbons and reason why we have catalytic converters (or Cadillac converters to some of you).

Used to be the stuck the test probe up your tailpipe and tested your gas cap.

Now, they use the OBD II of your vehicle to check for codes.

Henry

junk
05-29-2015, 11:46 AM
Iowa has no inspections at all. South Dakota has no inspections either. You can drive the biggest piece of crap you want. I might be ok with safety inspections if I thought they would actually keep people safe.

My parents neighbor in Pennsylvania had the frame of the car he was driving break in half on the way to work. He'd been going to a shady inspection station because he knew the frame was bad. I'm glad it didn't cause an accident.

- Jeremy

Henry
05-29-2015, 12:06 PM
States without safety, emissions, or VIN inspections

Alaska[45]
Arkansas
Florida
Iowa
Kentucky
Michigan
Minnesota
Montana
North Dakota
South Carolina
South Dakota

Henry

Wayne
05-29-2015, 12:41 PM

Thanks.

I'm not familiar with your evap system but have you checked the wiring to the components involved? It only takes one bad/flakey ground to create problems.

Sid
05-29-2015, 09:55 PM
I had a Mercury Mountaineer that had a bad check valve that was leaking on the canister, and a 2004 Mitsubishi that was leaking where the bracket was spot welded to the fuel filler tube, Mitsubishi had a service bulliten and repaired it with no cost to me. I'm in Indiana and we don't have any inspections.