05-24-2015, 08:28 PM
Interesting video on how to spray clear coat. https://youtu.be/QujMg4NvGRs

It's a deodorant commercial!

Henry

Pitbull14218
05-24-2015, 10:25 PM
It's a deodorant commercial!

Henry

The link for me was the clear coat vid. Talks about first coat as a light tack coat being 6" away but moving fast, then 2nd coat medium, still 6" away but a little slower, and then 2 wet coats 6" away but slow.

Henry
05-25-2015, 09:03 AM
The link for me was the clear coat vid. Talks about first coat as a light tack coat being 6" away but moving fast, then 2nd coat medium, still 6" away but a little slower, and then 2 wet coats 6" away but slow.

I played it again and the guy talks funny.

Henry

BTW: Rule of thumb. Your first coat should be applied how you want the final paint to look. NEVER dust on a first coat with thoughts it will help successive coats to adhere better. You want a deep gloss job, then your first coat needs to be applied that way. There is a fine line between holding the speed of the gun for gloss and ending up with a run. This is mastered pretty quickly.

Len
05-25-2015, 09:19 AM
That video can be quite misleading in a couple of areas.....

1. The distance of the gun from the surface can vary depending on the gun setup used, the viscosity of the paint used and the technique used.

2. He talks about regulating the pressure at the wall but the pressure AT THE GUN is more important and he doesn't have a gauge at the gun. The pressure at the gun can vary quite significantly from the regulator depending on the size and length of the hose and the fittings used.

Phil V
05-25-2015, 10:03 AM
I agree that the video is misleading in several different ways. As Len and Henry said said each gun is different and handles differently and each clearcoat handles differently. The gun adjustments are pretty much the same across the board but your spraying technique HAS to be tweaked to fit the paint/clearcoat you are shooting. That adjusting the fan in the video is just plain wrong. Here is what most pro's do -- adjust the fan wide open then turn the adjusting knob back in just a little until the fan is as wide ad YOU personally prefer. That two turns out from closed is wrong and misleading because like I said every gun is different. In the video the guy was telling you to turn the fluid control knob so many turns in/out and that is wrong also. Most pro's turn the fluid control knob wide open and leave it there permanently (unless you want to scale it back a little for door jambs/small areas. The key to the fluid control is leave it wide open and control the fluid flow with your trigger finger. You want more paint coming out of the gun -- pull the trigger all the way back. You want less fluid coming out of the gun -- pull the trigger back far enough to spray the amount of fluid YOU want coming out of the gun. In the video he's telling you to spray at 6" away from the surface. That's really close, most guns shoot in the 8" to 12" range and most of my painting is around the 10" range.

What that video should be saying is that painter prefers to use HIS technique with HIS gun using HIS clear specifically.