PDA

View Full Version : Hard time finall buff blacl Goat

TheCoatingStore.com

Noviceguy
05-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Hi guys been a while had to put my project on hold surgery issues. Finally painted car and down to final buff am getting a haze in the clear feels like glass but still hazy using 3m 39062 ultra fine machine glaze and black foam pad can't get the camera to pick it up using an orbital Makita any ideas.

Len
05-07-2015, 08:35 PM
Hi guys been a while had to put my project on hold surgery issues. Finally painted car and down to final buff am getting a haze in the clear feels like glass but still hazy using 3m 39062 ultra fine machine glaze and black foam pad can't get the camera to pick it up using an orbital Makita any ideas.

What kind of paint are you buffing on? If it's a "good" quality paint then you might want to change your polish. Sometimes the polish can leave a film on the surface that can cause a dulling.

Henry
05-08-2015, 03:44 AM

Did you sand and/or compound this car or just buff with glaze?

Welcome back and hope you're feeling well.

Henry

LS6
05-08-2015, 06:28 AM
What kind of paint are you buffing on? If it's a "good" quality paint then you might want to change your polish. Sometimes the polish can leave a film on the surface that can cause a dulling.

It sure can! I suspect he needs a milder polish AND a swirl remover. He might also need to switch back to the white pad foam pad and use Wizards Mystic Cut polish first ? ( white pad, if he's using Lake Country pads? ) Buff and Shine's black and white pads are the direct opposite of Lake Country. With them, the black pad is the more aggressive pad and the white pad is the final one.

However, with both companies, the black AND the white foam pads are very mild.
Len sells both the Lake Country pads and the Wizard's Mystic Cut.
LS6

Noviceguy
05-08-2015, 06:43 AM
Not the best but what I could afford tough times .I used PPG Shop Line with Southern clear.3step sanding 1200 2000 3000 then 3m 3 step compound started with wool pad then blue then black foam pads are 3m.Hard for me to buff and sand back surgery not so good. Should I try a different glaze if so what do you recommend ? Looks like glass under the lights but in direct sun I can see the haze.

Len
05-08-2015, 08:17 AM
Not the best but what I could afford tough times .I used PPG Shop Line with Southern clear.3step sanding 1200 2000 3000 then 3m 3 step compound started with wool pad then blue then black foam pads are 3m.Hard for me to buff and sand back surgery not so good. Should I try a different glaze if so what do you recommend ? Looks like glass under the lights but in direct sun I can see the haze.

If the surface looks good under the lights then the problem may not be in the top coat clear but showing through from the dark base coat. I've had a similar problem when I used an inexpensive base. However if you think the dullness is in the clear you should try some Wizard's Mystic Cut, it's one of the best compounds that I've used.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/wiz11048.jpg
LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=WIZ11048&Category_Code=M3)

Also, when using an orbital it takes quite a bit longer to remove sanding scratches than it does when you use a rotary so try working on one small area to see if it improves before working on the entire surface.

Here's hoping that you make a full recovery soon. :proposeto

Noviceguy
05-08-2015, 11:54 AM
I just ordered an orbital buffer and some Mystic cut compound and glaze see what happens. I'm sure it's in the clear I can get the side panels to look really good. Thanks

LS6
05-08-2015, 02:51 PM
I just ordered an orbital buffer and some Mystic cut compound and glaze see what happens. I'm sure it's in the clear I can get the side panels to look really good. Thanks

Black is tough when you do everything right. I suggest that you also invest in a quality swirl remover to finish off the job at the very end. It will make a difference.
LS6

ScottB
05-08-2015, 05:39 PM
If you followed proper procedure, The 3M Ultrafine you are using last should finish off the black nicely even when using a rotary. It follows swirl remover and is often used on black to give it that last kick.

xtremekustomz
05-10-2015, 02:24 PM
I'd be willing to bet you aren't cutting all of the sand scratches out. If you are using an orbital buffer it is going to take forever to do the job right. You need a rotary. If you do insist on using the orbital and by orbital I mean a da type like a porter cable 7424 etc then get some microfiber cutting pads. I know a lot of guys have had good luck using the meguiars microfiber pads and meguiars m105. I have cut out some 1500 grit scratches with that system but normally use a rotary. Some Advance auto parts stores sell them. Don't glaze until you know the paint is perfect. If so all you are doing is covering up a haze that will eventually appear once it evaporates. I don't like using 3m stuff anymore. I've found that they have a lot of oils and fillers in them that mask imperfections. Using a waterbased wax and grease remover such as Akrya Klean will get rid of any traces of fillers so you really know what you are or aren't covering up.

Henry
05-10-2015, 03:08 PM
Don't forget to wipe the surface down by hand with a clean micro fiber towel when you think you've accomplished something. Those towels go a long way as a final dry wipe.

(The preceding has been brought to us previously by the expert ROBERT!)

Henry

xtremekustomz
05-10-2015, 03:16 PM
Don't forget to wipe the surface down by hand with a clean micro fiber towel when you think you've accomplished something. Those towels go a long way as a final dry wipe.

(The preceding has been brought to us previously by the expert ROBERT!)

Henry

That's what I like about that akrya klean. Spray it on, let it dwell for 1 minute and wipe clean!

Noviceguy
05-10-2015, 06:50 PM
I'd be willing to bet you aren't cutting all of the sand scratches out. If you are using an orbital buffer it is going to take forever to do the job right. You need a rotary. If you do insist on using the orbital and by orbital I mean a da type like a porter cable 7424 etc then get some microfiber cutting pads. I know a lot of guys have had good luck using the meguiars microfiber pads and meguiars m105. I have cut out some 1500 grit scratches with that system but normally use a rotary. Some Advance auto parts stores sell them. Don't glaze until you know the paint is perfect. If so all you are doing is covering up a haze that will eventually appear once it evaporates. I don't like using 3m stuff anymore. I've found that they have a lot of oils and fillers in them that mask imperfections. Using a waterbased wax and grease remover such as Akrya Klean will get rid of any traces of fillers so you really know what you are or aren't covering up.

I just ordered the Groits 6 inch da and some wizard but will see what happens.

xtremekustomz
05-10-2015, 09:35 PM
I just ordered the Groits 6 inch da and some wizard but will see what happens.

I got some of the meguiars microfiber cutting pads from wal mart in tampa a few years ago. Might be worth a shot to see if your local store sells some. You will need a good cutting pad. Don't be scared to use a good bit of pressure and run it wide open when you are cutting too. Ease off as the compound starts to dry.

Len
05-11-2015, 07:51 AM
I got some of the meguiars microfiber cutting pads from wal mart in tampa a few years ago. Might be worth a shot to see if your local store sells some. You will need a good cutting pad. Don't be scared to use a good bit of pressure and run it wide open when you are cutting too. Ease off as the compound starts to dry.

We carry the Meguiar's 6" Microfiber disks in a 2 per pack package. Check them out below. I haven't used them so I can't comment on their performance.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/tnmgldmf6.png (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=MGLDMF66&Category_Code=T2)

TOGWT
07-03-2015, 07:27 AM
This article may contain some useful info for some - #15 Micro fibre Pads - http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/microfiber-pads.html

TOGWT Detailing Wiki Articles – Polishing Index - #3 in the series