PDA

View Full Version : new paint job less that 6 months old

TheCoatingStore.com

xenaskyy
04-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Wat i am wondering is i had my escalade painted all the body work is coming thru seein all the scratches and looks like paint is shrinking body shop told me putting 3 coats of clear wet sand and buff is gonna make it all go away can someone help me this was a 6k paint job

Len
04-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Wat i am wondering is i had my escalade painted all the body work is coming thru seein all the scratches and looks like paint is shrinking body shop told me putting 3 coats of clear wet sand and buff is gonna make it all go away can someone help me this was a 6k paint job

It sounds like the surface wasn't prepped properly before it was painted. If the surface is now showing very fine scratches it may be able to be cleared so that the reflection won't show the scratches but the quality of the result can depend on how the surface is prepped before it's cleared and the color of the car. If the scratches are deep and the color is dark or metallic you may still see scratches after the clear is applied.

xenaskyy
04-06-2015, 11:22 AM
Has a lot of metallic and pearls in it its dark blue with no light then once the light hits its bright blue..do u think this calls for a new paint job? U cant see them far away but when i wiping it down is when u see the scratches and the rough patches under clear

Len
04-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Has a lot of metallic and pearls in it its dark blue with no light then once the light hits its bright blue..do u think this calls for a new paint job? U cant see them far away but when i wiping it down is when u see the scratches and the rough patches under clear

You have two things working against you.... 1. When the light shines on the surface it reflects off the walls of the scratches and you can seen them more easily on a dark color than on light colors.... 2. Depending on the severity of the scratch the metallic can show the scratches after the clear is applied. If this problem is all over the car I'd see if they will clear just one panel like the door then inspect the result. If the scratches can still be seen then there's no sense in clearing the entire car.

If that happened in our shop I'd prep (sand and mask) the entire car then apply a light coat of color before clearing and that would hide the scratches.

xenaskyy
04-06-2015, 02:15 PM
I have ice in my clear is this still possible putting some color over it?

xenaskyy
04-06-2015, 02:16 PM
When the sun hits the paint u cant see scratches u see them more on a gloomy day

Len
04-06-2015, 04:47 PM
When the sun hits the paint u cant see scratches u see them more on a gloomy day

Put it under a street light at night and you'll really see it.

xenaskyy
04-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Its also really wavy i feel like it should b re painted

Len
04-06-2015, 04:56 PM
Its also really wavy i feel like it should b re painted

What kind of car? By wavy are you talking about "orange peel" or big waves in the body work?

xenaskyy
04-06-2015, 05:01 PM
Its an escalade im talkin about waves down both sides notnorange peel

Len
04-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Its an escalade im talkin about waves down both sides notnorange peel

Hmm, I'm thinking that they may not be able to correct the mistakes that they made or they wouldn't have made them in the first place. But I'd take it back and address these issues and see what they say.

xenaskyy
04-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Ive been back he has a knowledge the scratches and the wavyness but thinks puttn more clear on it is gonna help and i dont think it is should i take it to other shops and see wat they say?

xtremekustomz
04-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Ive been back he has a knowledge the scratches and the wavyness but thinks puttn more clear on it is gonna help and i dont think it is should i take it to other shops and see wat they say?

If it is wavy then they either put too much clear on at one time and got urethane wave or either hand sanded/da sanded before paint. Might be able to fix the first option by re-clearing but not the second. As for the sand scratches it sounds like they got lazy and used too coarse sandpaper. I agree with len. Have them do a fender first. Be crazy to do the whole car and it not work. You are seeing the scratches in the actual paint and not the clear right?

Len
04-06-2015, 08:06 PM

Taking it to another shop may be a good idea just to get another opinion on what needs to be done to correct the problems.

xenaskyy
04-06-2015, 10:46 PM
If it is wavy then they either put too much clear on at one time and got urethane wave or either hand sanded/da sanded before paint. Might be able to fix the first option by re-clearing but not the second. As for the sand scratches it sounds like they got lazy and used too coarse sandpaper. I agree with len. Have them do a fender first. Be crazy to do the whole car and it not work. You are seeing the scratches in the actual paint and not the clear right?

Yes scratches in paint not clear

Henry
04-07-2015, 10:35 AM

Too bad about all this. What do you have in writing for this job?

If I spent 6K for this, I would expect a written contract and a guarantee.

Anything you're seeing underneath is the result of poor prep and shrinkage. I didn't see you say what type of paint is on this car; base / clear or what?

What town and state do you live in? Maybe one of the members here lives near you and can help?

Henry

xenaskyy
04-07-2015, 11:46 AM
He told me it has a gaurantee is as long as i own it.. i dont know what paint they used i know that i picked a factory gm blue off of a 2015 truck one thing i do know is i asked him wat kinda clear it was and it was something that i never heard if or a guy that i know that does custom car paint jobs he said it was shit..i live in columbia, mo the only thing i have on paper is the receipt that says how much was paid and id have to look for it iknow the guy his family owns the shop but we not friends just know each other

Henry
04-07-2015, 12:48 PM
He told me it has a gaurantee is as long as i own it.. i dont know what paint they used i know that i picked a factory gm blue off of a 2015 truck one thing i do know is i asked him wat kinda clear it was and it was something that i never heard if or a guy that i know that does custom car paint jobs he said it was shit..i live in columbia, mo the only thing i have on paper is the receipt that says how much was paid and id have to look for it iknow the guy his family owns the shop but we not friends just know each other

What's done is done. Now, is what can be done about it.

The thing I wouldn't do with the shop that did the work is bust his balls about it. I, also, would not even bother to bring the car to another shop as they'll pick out errors the factory made during assembly. AND, if you hear it, you might repeat it to the shop that did the job. Further, if you don't fully understand what was told to you by others, it might just not be germane to the issues at hand.

You need to understand also, we cannot see what you are seeing. Maybe you can post pics of the worst of it. Is the entire vehicle showing blemishes from beneath, just the sides, how about the hood, roof and how bad was the paint when you went to have it done? Did you have dents, rust (any rot)? What I'm getting at by asking how bad it was, is to find out if the blemishes you claim to see are in areas where perhaps, filler was used and maybe not sanded and prepped properly, or was it an incorrect grit of sand paper over the entire vehicle which created scratches that were painted over?

If this shop has a good reputation of turning out quality work and you and/or others has seen such good work then the owner will want to help a diplomatic you. Not sure what conversations went on between you and the owner so far nor what he has said. Another thing is, 6 months is a long time to wait for seeing waves and orange peel. You should have been diplomatically all over these people like a hobo on a ham sandwich!

Drive in with the car clean and parked so you can see the worst of it the best. Maybe the worst part without the sun shining on it but shaded. You know what to do. You need to practice what you will say with alienating the guy. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and it's not what you say but how you say it. I've heard stories of too many people trying to communicate, while pissed off, and ending up pouring gasoline on a fire. Something like, "you fkn people can't paint worth a shit and I was told the clear you used is shit and I paid $6K and you better fix this mess or my lawyer will be here within the hour". Know what I'm trying to say/

On the other hand you want this shop to do some repair to their work (or lack there of). Maybe they can do better work and maybe what you got is their best. Proceed gingerly at the onset. You can become a prick later. Was anyone with you when any verbal talk about what they would do for you took place?

If he gave you a lifetime guarantee on the paint, he probably means the paint won't fall to the ground. I mean the other way to look at it is, you asked for a color and you got it, you asked for a complete color change paint job and you got that. You were not specific nor had a contract about what you will or won't see. At a good shop, you would never see any of this crap. Good luck.

Henry

xenaskyy
04-07-2015, 03:57 PM
I noticed the wavyness imediately but it was winter when i got it back soon as it started to get warm is when the bidy work really started coming out.we have agreed to prep hood and clear and see if it covers scratches if not he was talkn like he was gonna sand down start over..always respectful until im disrespected thanks everyone

Len
04-07-2015, 05:26 PM
I noticed the wavyness imediately but it was winter when i got it back soon as it started to get warm is when the bidy work really started coming out.we have agreed to prep hood and clear and see if it covers scratches if not he was talkn like he was gonna sand down start over..always respectful until im disrespected thanks everyone

Let us know how the work progresses.

rons
07-05-2015, 07:11 PM

A few pictures would help. I would not make specific comments without some pics. But from what I have read it sounds
like you are not happy with waves underneath the clear on a very large scale, not smaller areas that have been brought
back to level with filler repair. I was wondering how long they let the color coat dry before applying the clear. I am also
wondering about their body prep procedures before applying the color coat. Ask how many people did the work, was
there a trainee involved?

Ask the painter if he has fixed this exact type of problem before. Or is this 3 coats of clear business just a theory.
I myself don't believe his theory. See if the business is a BBB member and check for any complaints and how they
were dealt with.