PDA

View Full Version : SamG & Ford Truck Spark Plug

TheCoatingStore.com

Henry
04-03-2015, 03:31 AM
Sam, this is what I told you about. Nice short video of the spark plug problem on Ford trucks where plugs can break and why and what to do about it. Phil, not sure what you have:

http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/engine_plug_problem

Hope this helps someone out there.

Henry

SamG
04-07-2015, 09:36 PM
Thanks Henry!

I had not seen that video but it rings pretty true...I broke one plug changing them at less than 45000 miles. My brother broke 5 of 8 at 100k miles. A friend of mine with 125k broke 7 of 8 and had to remove one cylinder head...a real mess. I plan to replace mine again in about 20k miles. I figure $100 spent on plugs is better than the hassle of breaking them.

BTW the thing many are recommending now is a 3/8 impact to remove the plugs...many say it spins 'em right out without causing any issues...

I ran fuel injector cleaner through my truck a few times prior to changing mine...that was one thing the local Express Lube recommended. That guy says he changes a set or two a month. I will say mine were extremely clean...very little carbon. The one that did break had some buildup but the rest were pretty clean.

SamG

Henry
04-07-2015, 10:34 PM
Thanks Henry!

I had not seen that video but it rings pretty true...I broke one plug changing them at less than 45000 miles. My brother broke 5 of 8 at 100k miles. A friend of mine with 125k broke 7 of 8 and had to remove one cylinder head...a real mess. I plan to replace mine again in about 20k miles. I figure $100 spent on plugs is better than the hassle of breaking them.

BTW the thing many are recommending now is a 3/8 impact to remove the plugs...many say it spins 'em right out without causing any issues...

I ran fuel injector cleaner through my truck a few times prior to changing mine...that was one thing the local Express Lube recommended. That guy says he changes a set or two a month. I will say mine were extremely clean...very little carbon. The one that did break had some buildup but the rest were pretty clean.

SamG

I think if I had one of these engines, I would for sure use the Anti-seize. I like that video.

Henry

Phil V
04-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Good video, Henry. The 2013 Ecoboost F150's don't use that two piece spark plug. The plugs for my truck are $7 each with threads all the way to the end of the plug, but a lot longer threaded area than regular spark plugs like we're all used to. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2U4K90?tag=viglink20522-20

Mooch
04-08-2015, 12:01 AM
I have always used Anti-seize on my plugs and any bolt going into the engine .

My question is why do some of you change your plugs at such a low mileage point .

Not needed in my opinion on todays engines .

Mooch

Henry
04-08-2015, 07:19 AM
Good video, Henry. The 2013 Ecoboost F150's don't use that two piece spark plug. The plugs for my truck are $7 each with threads all the way to the end of the plug, but a lot longer threaded area than regular spark plugs like we're all used to. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2U4K90?tag=viglink20522-20

Thanks Phil. I think it's good information to know. Sam, has shed new light on the problem as well. I'm trying to tell anyone who might have this situation what they need to do before they end up pulling the heads off. Who knew?

You won't need plugs for many years and you'll most likely trade up again and never change them.

Henry

Henry
04-08-2015, 07:26 AM
I have always used Anti-seize on my plugs and any bolt going into the engine .

My question is why do some of you change your plugs at such a low mileage point .

Not needed in my opinion on todays engines .

Mooch

Mooch, watch the video. The guy (Pat Goss) tells people plugs are good over 100K miles. However, with the design of the plug extension for this particular Ford truck engine, the plugs could seize in place. Sam has told us of a guy who had to remove the head to get the broken plug out. Another guy where 7 of the 8 plugs broke.

You are absolutely right on the Anti-seize. One drop goes a long way. Such messy crap it is too.

Henry

junk
04-08-2015, 07:31 AM
SamG

I could see that. You guys ever use an impact on rusted exhaust manifold bolts? It will spin them off. Where before I've snapped them trying to wrench by hand. I'm guessing the impact puts all the force in a true rotational motion. And the impact motion breaks things free. VS when you do it by hand you get too much of the "gonna snap it off and run a tap and drill" motion going.

- Jeremy

Phil V
04-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Mooch, watch the video. The guy (Pat Goss) tells people plugs are good over 100K miles. However, with the design of the plug extension for this particular Ford truck engine, the plugs could seize in place. Sam has told us of a guy who had to remove the head to get the broken plug out. Another guy where 7 of the 8 plugs broke.

You are absolutely right on the Anti-seize. One drop goes a long way. Such messy crap it is too.

Henry

Henry, It's not just the trucks that have the two piece spark plugs. My Shelby has the 4.6 ltr with the same spark plugs. It has 36K miles on it. Maybe this summer would be a good time to change the plugs before the ends do get carbon'd up.

Henry
04-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Henry, It's not just the trucks that have the two piece spark plugs. My Shelby has the 4.6 ltr with the same spark plugs. It has 36K miles on it. Maybe this summer would be a good time to change the plugs before the ends do get carbon'd up.

sounds like a definite plan. Next time your shooting the shit with someone from a dealership you know, ask them about the problem with the truck and then with the Mustang. See what they got to say for the hell of it.

Phil, don't forget the Anti-seize!

henry

easymoney
04-08-2015, 11:03 PM
i would wonder why after the auto makers making trucks for nearly 100 years why did they suddenly make an engine with this problem? someones head should roll for allowing a problem like this to occur. of course ford may not care since no one wants or needs to change those spark plugs until the warranty is long gone.

Henry
04-11-2015, 12:20 PM
i would wonder why after the auto makers making trucks for nearly 100 years why did they suddenly make an engine with this problem? someones head should roll for allowing a problem like this to occur. of course ford may not care since no one wants or needs to change those spark plugs until the warranty is long gone.

It appears the problem is only (right, ONLY) until 2009. See below copy & paste:

"
The shape of the valve covers helps to identify the three-valve engine, with the two-piece spark plugs from the two-valve engine that does not use them.

Ford 4.6L, 5.4L and 6.8L 3 Valve engines have the two piece spark plug; The 2 Valve engine does not use this plug

FORD:

2005-2008 Mustang

2004-2008 F-150

2005-2008 Expedition, F-Super Duty

2006-2008 Explorer,

F-53 Motorhome Chassis

2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac

LINCOLN:

2005-2008 Navigator

2006-2008 Mark LT

MERCURY:

2006-2008 Mountaineer

Fortunately, Ford finally redesigned the spark plug in 2009. Vehicle models from 2009 on do not use the original design. These later model spark plugs are installed in the earlier engines and prevent the problem from recurring.
"

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/120

Henry

Henry
04-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Mechanic shows how the LISLE tool works to remove a broken plug on a Ford 5.4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSY9iBheBXI

Henry