PDA

View Full Version : Finding bad wheel bearings?

TheCoatingStore.com

junk
01-28-2015, 10:58 PM
I've go a 2003 subaru outback. I'm suspicious it has a bad wheel bearing. But how do you inspect for that? It's got a howl, but never seems to get worse. On the old cars simple enough. Pull the bearings and see what they look like. Not so easy with the unit bearings on all the newer cars.

- Jeremy

Bob K
01-29-2015, 12:23 AM
A wheel bearing noise will often change while you are making a turn. If you have an open section of road you can do some short hard turns in the lane, go from center line to shoulder and back with a quick flip of the steering wheel. (30 mph and hard turns)That loads the inner then the outer bearing alternately and you should hear the difference. If you have a differential bearing going out the turns won't put a load on those bearings so no sound change.

To check each bearing I jack up the car and grab the wheel and try to shake it left and right. Good bearings will give no motion. If it's the front wheel and you get some motion grab top and bottom. A bad wheel bearing will be loose in both cases. If top and bottom are good but left side / right side show up as loose check for bad tie rod end. Also spin the wheel. Often a bad bearing makes enough sound that you can hear it. A good bearing should be dead quiet. I've had them when they are difficult to identify but a few months later they are easier to find.

Another thing to check is grease level in the differentials and transfer case if the wheel check turns up nothing. Also on a quiet section of road shift into neutral and shut the engine off. (you may have to restart if you need to steer or stop so be careful) That eliminates a lot of moving parts. A wheel bearing sound won't change.

Bob K

junk
01-29-2015, 07:37 AM
Thanks Bob K that's what I needed to know. I'm gonna do a ball joint and tie rods here in the next few months. I'll make sure to check for play. I also live out in no mans land and have a 20 mile commute to work. So I'm guessing I'll be doing lots of quick turns checking the noise. Now do the quick turns work to check the rear wheel bearings also?

Thanks - Jeremy

Henry
01-29-2015, 08:39 AM
Good job Bob! I had 2 vehicles 20 years ago, in which the front wheel bearings went bad (FWD). Too bad it takes removing the knuckle & hub to actually feel the play in your hands.

Anyway, on both of mine, just driving down my road normally I found that going straight no noise. Just turning the wheel left then right and one side made one hell of a groan.

Since I did ALL my own mechanical, I figured, hell, I can fix this. That bearing HAS TO BE pressed in. Some dummy at CARQUEST at the time hammered it in. Put it back together and more noise. He destroyed the new bearing. Just buy another knuckle & hub with the new bearing in it. May need an alignment after.

Not sure on the rears for your car. Do a lookup and see what it is being AWD.

Henry

Bob K
01-29-2015, 11:01 AM
It's not a fool proof test because if both inside and outside bearing is bad then they will still make noise when you change the side thrust by tuning but it has worked for me on rear wheel bearings. When someone brings a car with noise the turning usually pinpoints a wheel bearing. One friend had some bearing noise but I couldn't hear it. Six months later I could hear it and feel the looseness in the wheel when it was jacked up. That was a rear wheel. Yes the noise changed as the steering wheel was rocked side to side. On a hard left turn the left rear wheel wants to come off the ground as the car leans taking the pressure off the bearing. Women can hear the bearing noise much better than I can. Have your wife ride with to see if the noise changes. She can probably tell you where it is coming from too.

Bob K

SamG
01-30-2015, 11:21 PM
Bob, it's funny that you mentioned that women can find the noise better than men...My mother who is 73 years old and profoundly Deaf can hear (feel) noises in a car that I wouldn't think twice about. She often brings one of her vehicles to me complaining about the loud noises it's making. Turns out it's usually a little tire noise, so I encourage her to ignore it.

SamG

Mooch
02-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Funny Sam should tire noise as that is one of my pet peeves . My wife put some new all weather sport type rain tires of the focus .

Boy do they work in the rain and snow .But man are they loud on dry roads that aren't super smooth .

I have to play the radio loud when I drive it . Being the thrifty guy I am I will run them until they wear out .

Mooch ..If I had a bad wheel bearing I wouldn't even know it .

MARTINSR
02-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Funny Sam should tire noise as that is one of my pet peeves . My wife put some new all weather sport type rain tires of the focus .

Boy do they work in the rain and snow .But man are they loud on dry roads that aren't super smooth .

I have to play the radio loud when I drive it . Being the thrifty guy I am I will run them until they wear out .

Mooch ..If I had a bad wheel bearing I wouldn't even know it .

That's one thing I dislike about my Caravan, the tire noise that radiates through it while driving down the highway. Luckily 99% of it's life is driving around town.

Brian

carcrazy
02-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Tire noise-hate it. Just put new tires on my truck about 6 months ago. Had it aligned and they f--ked up the toe adj. Now I have noisy tires!

Sam,
I see you are in Talledaga. You don't happen to know Wendell Lawson do you? Old friend from a long time ago.

SamG
02-03-2015, 09:06 PM
I do know a few Lawsons...but not a Wendell that I recall. I'll ask around though!

Small world!

SG

carcrazy
02-04-2015, 09:00 AM
I do know a few Lawsons...but not a Wendell that I recall. I'll ask around though!

Small world!

SG

Thanks, I'd like to catch up with him. He would be in his early 60's.

Wayne
02-06-2015, 05:30 PM
If you want to add a new tool to your collection get one of these:

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/steelman-06600-P137673.aspx

Works great for finding the suspect wheel bearing.

Len
02-06-2015, 08:49 PM
If you want to add a new tool to your collection get one of these:

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/steelman-06600-P137673.aspx

Works great for finding the suspect wheel bearing.

You can save a couple bucks buying it from us....

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/ste6600.png
LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=STE6600&Category_Code=)

Wayne
02-06-2015, 10:01 PM
There you go. Had no idea Len carried these. Use it a couple of times and it will pay for itself.

Len
02-06-2015, 11:08 PM
There you go. Had no idea Len carried these. Use it a couple of times and it will pay for itself.

I also thought that it would be good to find mysterious noises that can begin after a car is wrecked.

typicalcarguy
02-06-2015, 11:56 PM
I can see that being a very useful tool.

Phil V
02-07-2015, 12:07 PM
I can see where that diagnostic tool with the sensors could be very handy. But their advertisement has me confused, what good would an acoustic sensor do clamping it on an O2 sensor ? catalytic converter ? etc. and it says connect it to the drive train moving parts ?? I can see where clamping the acoustic sensor to a flange near a differential pinion bearing would pick up a pinion bearing noise but with some of the drive train parts its not possible. Either way I think it is a good diagnostic tool to add to the tool box.

Phil V
02-07-2015, 12:13 PM
You can save a couple bucks buying it from us....

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/ste6600.png
LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=STE6600&Category_Code=)

You know, the more I think about that the better I like it. I'm ordering one right now from Len right now.

Len
02-07-2015, 12:36 PM
You know, the more I think about that the better I like it. I'm ordering one right now from Len right now.

I don't have one Phil, I sold one to a small shop a while back and they loved it and that's why I have it on the site.

Phil V
02-07-2015, 01:41 PM
I don't have one Phil, I sold one to a small shop a while back and they loved it and that's why I have it on the site.

Wouldn't that be a drop ship item ? I already ordered it and payed for it here on the sight.

Len
02-07-2015, 03:43 PM
Wouldn't that be a drop ship item ? I already ordered it and payed for it here on the sight.

Yes, you should probably have it mid-week.

Phil V
02-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Yes, you should probably have it mid-week.

Sounds good. Thanks, Len.

Phil V
02-10-2015, 10:30 PM
Len, UPS dropped off the tool kit today (tues) and it looks good to me. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I'm sure I will. That was fast shipping ! Thanks, Phil