PDA

View Full Version : Ford = more reliable ///\\\ Chevy = faster

TheCoatingStore.com

Jim2
01-27-2015, 02:42 AM
I guess I'll get flamed now, but there it is.. Yup, I said it.

I've had a few of each, and in my experience, the Chevy's were always the faster engine. The problems I've had with Chevy's was "everything else" . Sometimes those other things were major. When my old Monte Carlo went to the junkyard, the engine would still start.. it just needed a transmission, and muffler, and distributor, and power steering pump, and front end, and universal joints... I drove it till the driveshaft fell out.

The Ford's I've had, they're never quite as fast as Chevys, but they just keep on going and going like the energizer bunny. I used to have a Ford van with a 302, and I overheated that thing mercilessly a couple times, but it never blew up. A new radiator made it all good again "like it never happened".

I never really had any love for Mopar. I had a 1975 Cordoba for a little while, and it was kinda fast, but it had all kinds of other problems, including a cracked "K-frame".. That car was nothing but stress... When I laid it up on a curb, I was actually kinda relieved to be "done with it" already. But that one did get some good "slideways" once it got wound up.. posi rear and all, that big ol boat could drift on dry pavement pretty good.

Henry
01-27-2015, 10:09 AM
I guess I'll get flamed now, but there it is.. Yup, I said it.

I've had a few of each, and in my experience, the Chevy's were always the faster engine. The problems I've had with Chevy's was "everything else" . Sometimes those other things were major. When my old Monte Carlo went to the junkyard, the engine would still start.. it just needed a transmission, and muffler, and distributor, and power steering pump, and front end, and universal joints... I drove it till the driveshaft fell out.

The Ford's I've had, they're never quite as fast as Chevys, but they just keep on going and going like the energizer bunny. I used to have a Ford van with a 302, and I overheated that thing mercilessly a couple times, but it never blew up. A new radiator made it all good again "like it never happened".

I never really had any love for Mopar. I had a 1975 Cordoba for a little while, and it was kinda fast, but it had all kinds of other problems, including a cracked "K-frame".. That car was nothing but stress... When I laid it up on a curb, I was actually kinda relieved to be "done with it" already. But that one did get some good "slideways" once it got wound up.. posi rear and all, that big ol boat could drift on dry pavement pretty good.

What the hell is this, True Confessions?

It's OK Jim. You can like anything. Of course with you, have you had anything on 4 wheels you didn't beat the hell out of and/or take to that 'Only In Hawaii' race track?

Listen, I'm happy for you no matter what you drive. And, the good news is, as long as Len keeps this site going, you'll always have a place to get all those Fords repaired and help make them run again! We love you Jim.

Henry

Mooch
01-27-2015, 12:41 PM
I have owned all three brands over my 71 years on your planet .

I tend to lean towards Fords since the 70s . I'm not a cheerleader for any of the companies now .

I have had very good luck with every make of car I have owned . None were a lemon .

I laugh at how some people seem to think one company is better than the other .

My first car was a 1951 Chrysler Crown Imperial and wish I still drove it . "but I would put AC into it ".

I found most of the older cars easy to work on . The new cars are not made to be repaired at home .

The newer trucks are a nightmare to work on .

To be honest I really don't feel like working on any car anymore .

Of course we all know no make of cars could ever compare with the Hudson Hornets of the early 50s ..the first real muscle cars.

Where Jim lives they still use wooden wheels .

Mooch

carcrazy
01-27-2015, 07:07 PM

I tend to lean towards Fords since the 70s . I'm not a cheerleader for any of the companies now .

I have had very good luck with every make of car I have owned . None were a lemon .

My first car was a 1951 Chrysler Crown Imperial and wish I still drove it . "but I would put AC into it ".

I found most of the older cars easy to work on . The new cars are not made to be repaired at home .

Of course we all know no make of cars could ever compare with the Hudson Hornets of the early 50s ..the first real muscle cars.

Mooch

I've had good and bad cars from just about every manufacturer. Mercedes being by far the worst (don't ever blow up a Mercedes motor)and Nissan (Maxima) being the best (0 issues with 3 different ones about 150k on each one. Honda Accord was also very good. Ford Mustang 5.0-blew engine and transmission. Chrysler and GM cars (Buick) with turbos-blew up the turbos on every one of those bastards up multiple times, the Buick Century Turbo Coupe at 17k (wish I still had it now-very rare). Both VW's---good for the first 50k or so then immediately turned to sh-t. Nickle and dime you to death. Dodge trucks (with the Hemi) have been very good to me over the last several years. C6 Corvette was pretty good overall but the last 2 years I only put 800 miles on it so hard to say. Still a low mileage car when I sold it. What took the most abuse? 62 bel air station wagon with a straight 6 and stick shift. Had to drive it 20 miles severely overheating and was certain it would sieze up. Got me home, fixed the hose and it was no worse for the wear. Try that with an aluminum block or headed motor!

I like the old cars because you can work on them at home but lets face it, the newer cars are far more reliable.
Rarely see a Hudson Hornet these days-even at shows. Did see a Henry J not too long ago.

If I were ever to purchase a new car it would be a Ford strickly because they didn't screw their stockholders.

Jim2
01-28-2015, 02:01 AM
I've had good and bad cars from just about every manufacturer. Mercedes being by far the worst (don't ever blow up a Mercedes motor)and Nissan (Maxima) being the best (0 issues with 3 different ones about 150k on each one. Honda Accord was also very good. Ford Mustang 5.0-blew engine and transmission. Chrysler and GM cars (Buick) with turbos-blew up the turbos on every one of those bastards up multiple times, the Buick Century Turbo Coupe at 17k (wish I still had it now-very rare). Both VW's---good for the first 50k or so then immediately turned to sh-t. Nickle and dime you to death. Dodge trucks (with the Hemi) have been very good to me over the last several years. C6 Corvette was pretty good overall but the last 2 years I only put 800 miles on it so hard to say. Still a low mileage car when I sold it. What took the most abuse? 62 bel air station wagon with a straight 6 and stick shift. Had to drive it 20 miles severely overheating and was certain it would sieze up. Got me home, fixed the hose and it was no worse for the wear. Try that with an aluminum block or headed motor!

I like the old cars because you can work on them at home but lets face it, the newer cars are far more reliable.
Rarely see a Hudson Hornet these days-even at shows. Did see a Henry J not too long ago.

If I were ever to purchase a new car it would be a Ford strickly because they didn't screw their stockholders.

Yup, imo, Chevy makes the best engines CC. The old Chevy "350 four bolt" is one of my favorite engines ever. My old Monte Carlo used to get 22 mpg on the highway and it would still smoke a lot of faster "looking" cars. If I could drop one of those babys into my F-150, I would.

I've seen so many Dodge trucks that were crap, I don't think I would ever buy one... but I do like the way Dodge trucks look.

Honda makes a lot of good stuff, but when it comes to a V-8, Chevy rules. The Japanese cars are good for 4 cylinders, but imo, nobody can touch a Chevy V-8. Chevy sets the bar high.

My F-150 usually gets about 15 mpg, and it's only a V-6... The best mileage I ever got was close to 18, all highway miles, with nothing in the bed... but my truck ain't fast at all. It's "slightly" quick, but not fast..

Jim2
01-28-2015, 02:28 AM
What the hell is this, True Confessions?

It's OK Jim. You can like anything. Of course with you, have you had anything on 4 wheels you didn't beat the hell out of and/or take to that 'Only In Hawaii' race track?

Listen, I'm happy for you no matter what you drive. And, the good news is, as long as Len keeps this site going, you'll always have a place to get all those Fords repaired and help make them run again! We love you Jim.

Henry

Henry, are you alright buddy? You sound pissed..

When I was young, I always beat my vehicles merciless. I'm a little easier on them now (except at the track).

That track was good fun! ... but it's over... we don't have a track on this island anymore..

On the street, I drive like a citizen these days. It's been a long time since I even did a brake-stand, and it's been many many years since I raced on the streets... I kinda like having a license.. and nowadays I realize that it ain't my own fault that I can still walk and talk. I got lucky a few times, nobody got hurt, but there were a few times when I thought it was "over"... And then I got out without a scratch..

I'm glad to say that nobody in my car ever got hurt... not even a little.. and nobody on the outside ever got hurt by my car either. But I will admit that there was some luck involved on a few of those occasions.

Can you make your own luck? ... maybe... but luck is still luck.

Jim2
01-28-2015, 02:56 AM

Mooch
heheheh, did you ever see that picture of the wood motorcycle Mooch? Lol, Frame and all, but the engine was metal.

I disagree Mooch.
I think that different companies are better at different things.

For instance... In a Chevy, you can drop into a turn at any moment, and, whatever was on the the dashboard would bounce off the "A-Pillar" and land on the floor.

Ford and Chrysler... you might have to pull over and go back to get your lighter off the sidewalk...

roadiestar
01-28-2015, 09:50 AM
I just buy what I have had good luck with. Nissan p/u's for me. I buy a new one when I the hit 150,000 miles. We have a 97 Subaru Legacy
with 307,000 miles the only thing we have had to replace is the tranny at 290,000 miles. I have had 2 Toyotas that at 50,000 miles the head gaskets went.

Henry
01-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Henry, are you alright buddy? You sound pissed..

Not at all pissed Jim. I'm happy for you and what you do. I enjoy reading what's going on out there.

You don't get to have sanGwiches like you showed one time and maybe not real great tasting meatball grinders, but hell, you don't have to shovel snow anymore or even see it. Sorry if you read what I said in a different way than it was intended.

Henry

Jim2
01-29-2015, 01:04 AM
Not at all pissed Jim. I'm happy for you and what you do. I enjoy reading what's going on out there.

You don't get to have sanGwiches like you showed one time and maybe not real great tasting meatball grinders, but hell, you don't have to shovel snow anymore or even see it. Sorry if you read what I said in a different way than it was intended.

Henry

Right on Henry, I guess I misunderstood then..

But yeah, a good "Roast Beef sanGwich" is definitely one of the things I miss about NJ. In particular, the "hard roll" is the ingredient that can't be got out out here.. Out here, they call it a "kaiser roll", and it looks kinda similar but it ain't the same... not even close actually..

I miss "Sabrettes" too.
It's hard enough to find saurkraut, but Sabrettes are unobtainium out here... And, at the few places that actually have saurkraut, it's always cold.. most people out here don't even know what saurkraut is..

Those Sabrettes are the best!

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g267/jimguitars/WTC/sc00054b8b.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g267/jimguitars/WTC/sc000511f2.jpg

Jim2
01-29-2015, 01:14 AM
I just buy what I have had good luck with. Nissan p/u's for me. I buy a new when the hit 150,000 miles. We have a 97 Subaru Legacy
with 307,000 miles the only thing we have had to replace is the tranny at 290,000 miles. I have had 2 Toyotas that at 50,000 miles the head gaskets went.

I never owned a Nissan, but I kinda like the old "Frontier".

The thing I don't like about Nissan is the paint. Nissan has the worst paint of any factory imo.

Back when I was painting my bike parts, people would tell me "don't use black, black shows everything". ... So I started paying close attention to every black paint job I saw, and, Nissan was the worst "by far". They're all orange peel.

Honda, Harley, and Mini have the best paint finishes I saw.
And, of course Mercedes, Caddy, Lexus, etc, had nice finishes too... But those are in a different class.

Henry
01-30-2015, 07:16 PM
Right on Henry, I guess I misunderstood then..

But yeah, a good "Roast Beef sanGwich" is definitely one of the things I miss about NJ. In particular, the "hard roll" is the ingredient that can't be got out out here.. Out here, they call it a "kaiser roll", and it looks kinda similar but it ain't the same... not even close actually..

I miss "Sabrettes" too.
It's hard enough to find saurkraut, but Sabrettes are unobtainium out here... And, at the few places that actually have saurkraut, it's always cold.. most people out here don't even know what saurkraut is..

Those Sabrettes are the best!

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g267/jimguitars/WTC/sc00054b8b.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g267/jimguitars/WTC/sc000511f2.jpg

Jim, first of all, how too bad they don't stay kids! Her face says it all doesn't it, then those arms hugging you.

Those Hawaiian people who don't eat all the 'good stuff' will 'feel like a fool' dying from nothing!

Henry

Jim2
01-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Jim, first of all, how too bad they don't stay kids! Her face says it all doesn't it, then those arms hugging you.

Those Hawaiian people who don't eat all the 'good stuff' will 'feel like a fool' dying from nothing!

Henry

yeah Henry, my daughter is 21 now... but I still got a hug yesterday :)

Btw, those pics are from "ground zero", in May, right before 9-11. I'm glad we made that trip.. it was awesome.

I don't know what you heard about the Hawaiian diet, but if there were Sabrettes available out here, I'll bet they would sell just fine. The most popular hot dogs out here, "Redondo's", have so much red food color in them that they look like candy! ... they taste ok, but they got nothin on a Sabrette..

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g267/jimguitars/WTC/sc000461a0.jpg

Jim2
01-30-2015, 07:38 PM
ps Henry.. There was a hot dog wagon in downtown Honolulu that had a Sabrette umbrella years ago. When I heard about it, I made a special trip down there to get some. ... but it turned out to be Costco hot dogs... I never went back..

Henry
01-30-2015, 07:52 PM
ps Henry.. There was a hot dog wagon in downtown Honolulu that had a Sabrette umbrella years ago. When I heard about it, I made a special trip down there to get some. ... but it turned out to be Costco hot dogs... I never went back..

When you hang up the hammer, sounds like a REAL HOT DOG cart or stand for you. I can send you ROSOL hotdogs and some famous meat sauce from "Capital Lunch" and some homemade krout. Think the shipping cost would run us out of business?

Henry

Jim2
01-30-2015, 07:59 PM
When you hang up the hammer, sounds like a REAL HOT DOG cart or stand for you. I can send you ROSOL hotdogs and some famous meat sauce from "Capital Lunch" and some homemade krout. Think the shipping cost would run us out of business?

Henry

heheheh, I dunno Henry... but there ain't no "free shipping" to Hawaii.

My sister sent me a couple packs of Sabrettes one time, styrofoam cooler/dry ice and all.. Not sure what the shipping costs though..

Mooch
01-30-2015, 08:58 PM
heheheh, I dunno Henry... but there ain't no "free shipping" to Hawaii.

My sister sent me a couple packs of Sabrettes one time, styrofoam cooler/dry ice and all.. Not sure what the shipping costs though..

I wouldn't send you nothing from Jersey .You left so suffer .

Mooch

Jim2
01-30-2015, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't send you nothing from Jersey .You left so suffer .

Mooch

... what about the tow bar? heheheh, thanks again Mooch!

Mooch
02-02-2015, 12:43 AM
... what about the tow bar? heheheh, thanks again Mooch!

And thank you for the Humidor my friend .I have several but that one is my favorite . Oldie but well made .

Mooch

Jim2
02-02-2015, 02:15 AM
And thank you for the Humidor my friend .I have several but that one is my favorite . Oldie but well made .

Mooch

My pleasure Mooch.. that one fell into my lap, and you were the first person I thought of. I'm glad it's going to good use!

Phil V
02-16-2015, 12:53 PM
My experience between ford and chevys is before a ford blows up it will give you plenty of warning. Slight rod knock for months or even years but when a Chevy engine blows up it in most cases gives no warning, just BAM ! and it's done. Although, I had a '64 T-bird with a 390 engine driving it home in a snow storm going about 30 - 35 mph and no warning it all it spun a main bearing. I had a '77 F150 4X4 with the 351M and it had a light rod knock for at least a couple years before I sold it. The only oil it liked was straight 40 wt. I told the guy that bought the truck that it has a light rod knock but that if you don't beat on the truck it'll last for several more years. Two weeks later he calls me and asks me if I knew where he could buy a good used engine for the truck. I tried to buy the truck back (NO rust) but he wouldn't sell it back to me. Last I heard years ago was he was on his third engine. It worked fine for me, I just knew better than to beat on the truck.

LS6
02-16-2015, 04:01 PM
You can get good and bad with every make of vehicle.
Carcrazy loves Nissans, but I would never buy another one. Different strokes for different folks.
LS6

Mooch
02-16-2015, 09:33 PM
I have been a lucky man with my cars and trucks . I have owned one or more of every GM brand except for the Vette and all have were really good .

I have owned all the ford brands except for the Lincoln and all were good .

I have owned all of the Chrysler products up to 1967 and all were good .

And I realize some people have had problems with every model and brand of car I have owned . so I agree it is the luck of the draw .

Some day I might even own a Hornet .

Mooch

MARTINSR
02-16-2015, 10:49 PM
That little girl is absolutely beautiful!

Brian

Jim2
02-16-2015, 11:48 PM
Thanks Brian, I know ;)

Jim2
02-17-2015, 12:06 AM
My experience between ford and chevys is before a ford blows up it will give you plenty of warning. Slight rod knock for months or even years but when a Chevy engine blows up it in most cases gives no warning, just BAM ! and it's done. Although, I had a '64 T-bird with a 390 engine driving it home in a snow storm going about 30 - 35 mph and no warning it all it spun a main bearing. I had a '77 F150 4X4 with the 351M and it had a light rod knock for at least a couple years before I sold it. The only oil it liked was straight 40 wt. I told the guy that bought the truck that it has a light rod knock but that if you don't beat on the truck it'll last for several more years. Two weeks later he calls me and asks me if I knew where he could buy a good used engine for the truck. I tried to buy the truck back (NO rust) but he wouldn't sell it back to me. Last I heard years ago was he was on his third engine. It worked fine for me, I just knew better than to beat on the truck.

That's not how I seen it Phil.

Now, I'm not saying that "every" Chevy engine is the best, but the 350 4 bolt is certainly one of the best ever.

When my Monte Carlo went to the junkyard, the engine still ran... but everything around it was broke. The distributor, transmission, power steering pump, and front end were the main problems, but she just kept on running until the driveshaft fell out.

It was a sad day. Every once in a while, I have dreams about getting that car back... maybe I would take better care of it this time. I was 19 back then, and I beat that car merciless! It was a '72, but it was faster than a lot of newer (faster looking) cars.

Even nowadays, Chevy still makes the fastest V-8s.. "factory"..

Jim2
02-17-2015, 12:20 AM
I have been a lucky man with my cars and trucks . I have owned one or more of every GM brand except for the Vette and all have were really good .

I have owned all the ford brands except for the Lincoln and all were good .

I have owned all of the Chrysler products up to 1967 and all were good .

And I realize some people have had problems with every model and brand of car I have owned . so I agree it is the luck of the draw .

Some day I might even own a Hornet .

Mooch

I agree that each brand has it's good points Mooch, but it seems to me that Fords can take more of a beating, and Chevys are just faster.

I had a 74 Chrysler Cordoba for a little while, and that thing had some balls with the 400 and posi rear and all, but it had a cracked "K-frame" . It would've been an expensive fix, and I was kinda "relieved" when I drifted it into a curb and totaled it. It was the only Mopar I ever owned... It was a cool car, but the Monte Carlo was faster - even with the smaller block.

Jim2
02-17-2015, 12:29 AM
I saw this Mustang the other day, and it kinda looks like it's daddy was a Camaro.

I liked it so much, I had to take a picture..

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g267/jimguitars/Mustang%20Camaro_zpsudeceylj.jpg

Phil V
02-17-2015, 10:56 PM
quote from Jim - " and it kinda looks like it's daddy was a Camaro." (end quote)

Now Jim, that's just plain blasphemous.

Jim2
02-18-2015, 12:12 AM
quote from Jim - " and it kinda looks like it's daddy was a Camaro." (end quote)

Now Jim, that's just plain blasphemous.

heheheh, you gotta admit Phil, there's a resemblance there.

Personally, I think it's a beautiful car... maybe the orange is a bit much, but the shape is sweet.

Henry
02-18-2015, 02:22 AM
I saw a couple of this new Mustang on MotorWeek tonight (Wed). All I'll say is Ford did a great job on the resto Mustang like the GT Phil and another member here has. That's a good looking car.

This new one looks good but NOT like a Mustang. I don't like how the "C" pillar and quarter panel look on this new one.

Of the three big deal redo's, the Challenger looks good, the Camaro looks good but I think Ford did the best job with the Mustang prior to this new one. Never thought I'd give Ford all this credit. I also like what they created with the Taurus, the Edge and the MKZ. Drivetrains will remain in question on the last 3 I mentioned. They always seem to screw that up.

Henry

Phil V
02-18-2015, 12:02 PM
I saw a couple of this new Mustang on MotorWeek tonight (Wed). All I'll say is Ford did a great job on the resto Mustang like the GT Phil and another member here has. That's a good looking car.

This new one looks good but NOT like a Mustang. I don't like how the "C" pillar and quarter panel look on this new one.

Of the three big deal redo's, the Challenger looks good, the Camaro looks good but I think Ford did the best job with the Mustang prior to this new one. Never thought I'd give Ford all this credit. I also like what they created with the Taurus, the Edge and the MKZ. Drivetrains will remain in question on the last 3 I mentioned. They always seem to screw that up.

Henry

Henry, I agree 100%. Ford did an excellent job in 2005 with the restyled retro Mustang. 2005 - 2009 used the original retro styled body but in 2010 the came out with an "upgraded" body that's OK but moving away from the the retro style. I really don't care for the restyled 2015 Mustang, it looks more like a regular ford than it does a Mustang. My favorite of all the Mustangs is still the '67 or '68 Mustang Fastback Shelby but after that then my choice would be the car I have now.

The only pre 1974 Mustang I never owned was the '69 or '70 Mustang. No good reason, just never owned one. I have owned at least a dozen '73 and older Mustangs (no Shelbys and no Boss's). My Shelby will be payed off shortly and I'm deciding what to get next. No intention of ever selling the Shelby. I actually thought about a pre-owned CTS-V but I already have a go fast car and don't need another one. I really do like the body styling of the 2 door CTS's. If I buy another collector car then I'll have to build a special garage for it, like it did for the Shelby.

Mooch
02-18-2015, 12:37 PM
I really like the new Mustang . If I was dumb enough to buy a new car it would be the 2015 Mustang .

Funny how we all see cars in a different way . I did own a 1970 mach 1 and I beat it to death .

To be Honest I like all of the new Muscle cars . Now if someone would only come out with a new Hudson Hornet ..I would buy one .But it would have to have the 308 flathead six in it .

Mooch

Phil V
02-18-2015, 12:47 PM
I really like the new Mustang . If I was dumb enough to buy a new car it would be the 2015 Mustang .

Funny how we all see cars in a different way . I did own a 1970 mach 1 and I beat it to death .

To be Honest I like all of the new Muscle cars . Now if someone would only come out with a new Hudson Hornet ..I would buy one .But it would have to have the 308 flathead six in it .

Mooch

Mooch, are you talking about the upside down bathtub Hudson Hornet ? (around 1950?) Hudson made a Terraplane coupe back in the 1930's that was a good looking car.

Mooch
02-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Mooch, are you talking about the upside down bathtub Hudson Hornet ? (around 1950?) Hudson made a Terraplane coupe back in the 1930's that was a good looking car.

LOL..That would be it . I passed one up a few years back and wish I had bought it . Now the price is out of sight .

Have they ever made a better looking car ...NO .

Mooch

Jim2
02-19-2015, 12:08 AM
LOL..That would be it . I passed one up a few years back and wish I had bought it . Now the price is out of sight .

http://autobodystore.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15325&stc=1

Mooch

That's a pretty cool "granpa" car Mooch, but, imo, there have been plenty of better looking cars built since then..

I like the skirts and the whitewalls though.. I would sport that, but I'm not nostalgic about it like you are..

Jim2
02-19-2015, 12:15 AM

Henry
That's what I was thinking Henry... That new mustang looked a lot like a Camaro to me.. especially the "hips" in front of the rear wheels.. even the hood seems to steal a little from the Camaro... I thought it was a nice blend.

But I'll bet a new Z-28 is still faster... That new Mustang was a GT.

Henry
02-19-2015, 10:42 AM
That's a pretty cool "granpa" car Mooch, but, imo, there have been plenty of better looking cars built since then..

I like the skirts and the whitewalls though.. I would sport that, but I'm not nostalgic about it like you are..

Mooch, my cousin has had a 4 door one of those in his garage for well over 20 years. He's older than me so cars from the 50's were always important to him. You interested in a 4 door? The 2 door does look better.

Henry

Phil V
02-19-2015, 02:16 PM
That Hornet looks like a '50 Mercury. Didn't Hudson make a "fastback" model back then that DID look like an upside down bath tub.

Here is a Hudson Hornet "fastback" --
http://mattstonecars.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/McQueens-53-Twin-H-Power-Hudson-Hornet-1024x768.jpg

Here is an original 1950 Mercury advertisement -- http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Mercury/1950/images/50-02_jpg.jpg

Henry
02-19-2015, 02:33 PM
That's what I was thinking Henry... That new mustang looked a lot like a Camaro to me.. especially the "hips" in front of the rear wheels.. even the hood seems to steal a little from the Camaro... I thought it was a nice blend.

But I'll bet a new Z-28 is still faster... That new Mustang was a GT.

I know a guy with a fast newer Mustang GT as it is and he had it picked up here in CT and shipped to Vegas for some Snake something done to it. That will cost him between 50 & 60K. Why is he doing this? For 1200+ HP and 'because he can'. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

Ford and Chevy will forever have wars on which one is quicker. All I'll say is "Ford has a better idea" (slogan from the 70's) to which I always said, 'and GM makes it work?

Henry

Mooch
02-19-2015, 04:55 PM
Mooch, my cousin has had a 4 door one of those in his garage for well over 20 years. He's older than me so cars from the 50's were always important to him. You interested in a 4 door? The 2 door does look better.

Henry

No thanks Henry ...way too much work . I like the 2 door much better but could live with a 4 door . Be hard to live with the MPG though .They only got about 14 mpg .

Mooch

Henry
02-19-2015, 05:30 PM
No thanks Henry ...way too much work . I like the 2 door much better but could live with a 4 door . Be hard to live with the MPG though .They only got about 14 mpg .

Mooch

Not really sure it needs any work. Been years since I've seen it. He has an Avanti in there with it.

Mooch, who cares about the MPG. Shit, if I could have my GTO back again that would make gas mileage meaningless. Any old car we could have would be our only link with youth.

Henry

Jim2
02-19-2015, 11:36 PM
I know a guy with a fast newer Mustang GT as it is and he had it picked up here in CT and shipped to Vegas for some Snake something done to it. That will cost him between 50 & 60K. Why is he doing this? For 1200+ HP and 'because he can'. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

Ford and Chevy will forever have wars on which one is quicker. All I'll say is "Ford has a better idea" (slogan from the 70's) to which I always said, 'and GM makes it work?

Henry

Well Henry, "faster" is a hard thing to judge sometimes.. because "the loose nut behind the wheel" is the fastest upgrade any car can get imo. Good tires would be the next thing..

But it seems to me, in general, Chevy always made the fastest V-8s, and they still do. Daytona 500 is coming up next Sunday, and I'd bet the odds are in favor of a Chevy winning it.

Any car can be "suped up", but the Chevy factory makes some great engines.. I'd love to drop a 350 small block into my F-150..

Mooch
02-20-2015, 01:28 PM
At one time I would argue with anyone over what make was best . And bam ..I got smarter and realized there is no such thing .

The new muscle cars of today would blow the doors of the old stock muscle cars . No contest .

Mooch

MARTINSR
02-20-2015, 03:03 PM
At one time I would argue with anyone over what make was best . And bam ..I got smarter and realized there is no such thing .

The new muscle cars of today would blow the doors of the old stock muscle cars . No contest .

Mooch

Yep, it's funny, I drive my Gran Sport, 401 cubes of GM muscle car. Rumpity cam so rough I am constantly looking in the rear view mirror at stop lights because I think someone has bumper the back of the car! I can smoke the tires down the street, with slicks and uncapped headers ran 13:80@99.99 (never broke a hundred :fight:) I have all this and some 2014 Toyota with four cylinders will blow it's doors off! LOLOL

Brian

Mooch
02-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Yep, it's funny, I drive my Gran Sport, 401 cubes of GM muscle car. Rumpity cam so rough I am constantly looking in the rear view mirror at stop lights because I think someone has bumper the back of the car! I can smoke the tires down the street, with slicks and uncapped headers ran 13:80@99.99 (never broke a hundred :fight:) I have all this and some 2014 Toyota with four cylinders will blow it's doors off! LOLOL

Brian

Oh there are a lot of fast 4 bangers out there . But of course yours sounds much better . A stock Nissan 4 cylinder now has 182 HP . You can get a Focus with 250 and very easy to get one up to 300 plus .

But nothing has the sweet sound of a Ford flathead V8 running straight pipes .

Mooch

LS6
02-21-2015, 12:28 AM

Mooch

Here's one you can easily afford. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251815626268 And, it's a good quality diecast. It's just a shame it's such an ugly vehicle.
LS6

Jim2
02-21-2015, 12:36 AM
Here's one you can easily afford. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251815626268 And, it's a good quality diecast. It's just a shame it's such an ugly vehicle.
LS6
Lol, that's just cold LS...

LS6
02-21-2015, 12:49 AM
Lol, that's just cold LS...

So, you think it's not ugly? Besides, if he likes the car so much, that diecast is a good quality reproduction. That company is now out of business, but they made pretty nice diecasts.
LS6

Jim2
02-21-2015, 01:18 AM
So, you think it's not ugly? Besides, if he likes the car so much, that diecast is a good quality reproduction. That company is now out of business, but they made pretty nice diecasts.
LS6
Well, I'll stop short of saying it's "ugly".. but I'm not sentimental about it either...

I wonder if that thing will sell at that price? Maybe there's a billionaire out there somewhere who's nostalgic about that car, and they'll drop a c-note for a die cast model of it... If I had too much money, I might waste a c note on a die cast model of a 72 Monte Carlo... "Might" is the key word there..

LS6
02-21-2015, 03:20 AM
Well, I'll stop short of saying it's "ugly".. but I'm not sentimental about it either...

I wonder if that thing will sell at that price? Maybe there's a billionaire out there somewhere who's nostalgic about that car, and they'll drop a c-note for a die cast model of it... If I had too much money, I might waste a c note on a die cast model of a 72 Monte Carlo... "Might" is the key word there..

A 72 Monte Carlo is probably not available.
LS6

I just checked ...... No 72 Monte Carlos available, but you could get a 71 on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-18-Chevy-Monte-Carlo-Diecast-Model-1971-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo-SS-/261783888886?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf38923f6

LS6

LS6
02-21-2015, 06:13 PM

Jim,
The thing that has happened with the diecast cars ( especially the really good ones ) is because many of these companies have gone out of business, the good diecasts have doubled in value. Some have even tripled in value.
In addition, there are a handful of especially rare, high quality cars, where the seller is asking an insane amount of money.
LS6

Jim2
02-21-2015, 06:19 PM
Jim,
The thing that has happened with the diecast cars ( especially the really good ones ) is because many of these companies have gone out of business, the good diecasts have doubled in value. Some have even tripled in value.
In addition, there are a handful of especially rare, high quality cars, where the seller is asking an insane amount of money.
LS6

Yeah, I guess so. I did an ebay search to see what kind of prices they bring, and I was shocked by some of them. Some of them went for more than I spent on my truck.. collectors are just nuts..

Mooch
02-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Results from Daytona Jim ...Truck race Ford wins . Nation wide ....Ford wins .

Mooch ..btw the giants suck .

Mooch
02-21-2015, 10:34 PM
I'm really not into models . Pretty neat but not for me . Even though I do like the old Hornets I will never be willing to buy one unless I found a good driver for about $20,000 . I doubt if I would even then .

But I am looking at a few acres of land close to here . Want to build a shooting range on it for when I'm down here .

All kind of deals on guns down here . One guy has a 1891 marlin 22 side loader for $700 . Would buy it if I could . Worth double that .

I wouldn't buy any property in Orange county "Disney World area " Too many shootings there .

Mooch

Jim2
02-21-2015, 10:35 PM
Results from Daytona Jim ...Truck race Ford wins . Nation wide ....Ford wins .

Mooch ..btw the giants suck .

Well, lets see what happens tomorrow Mooch.... The top three favorites are all in Chevys. The next two are in Fords.

I really don't even care who wins. I was just guessing that a Chevy would take it.

In all the years of Nascar, "all races ever", I wouldn't be surpized if Chevy has more than half of the wins.

Jim2
02-21-2015, 10:49 PM
...In all the years of Nascar, "all races ever", I wouldn't be surpized if Chevy has more than half of the wins.

Hey Mooch, I just looked it up, and it turns out that "Hudson" dominated the first three years of the "Manufacturer's Championship".

But Chevy has "way more" championships than all the other manufacturers combined. It's not even close..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NASCAR_Manufacturers%27_champions

Jim2
02-21-2015, 11:03 PM
I'm really not into models . Pretty neat but not for me . Even though I do like the old Hornets I will never be willing to buy one unless I found a good driver for about $20,000 . I doubt if I would even then .

But I am looking at a few acres of land close to here . Want to build a shooting range on it for when I'm down here .

All kind of deals on guns down here . One guy has a 1891 marlin 22 side loader for $700 . Would buy it if I could . Worth double that .

I wouldn't buy any property in Orange county "Disney World area " Too many shootings there .

Mooch

No way I would ever want to live near Orlando. I was at Disneyworld about 10-15 years ago, and everyone down there seems disgruntled. Prices are high and wages are low from what I saw.. eating at a diner was like Hawaii prices. The waitresses were irritable, and there was just a general lack of "southern hospitality" over there. In fact, it seemed like there was more New Yorkers than Southerners over there.

Mooch
02-22-2015, 02:35 PM
No way I would ever want to live near Orlando. I was at Disneyworld about 10-15 years ago, and everyone down there seems disgruntled. Prices are high and wages are low from what I saw.. eating at a diner was like Hawaii prices. The waitresses were irritable, and there was just a general lack of "southern hospitality" over there. In fact, it seemed like there was more New Yorkers than Southerners over there.

I have come across a lot of really nice people here from all over the country .Most are over 50 and have moved here for good .

People for the most part have a different attitude here than NJ . I have adjusted mine for when I'm here . Everything slows down here .

If a person wants to retire on a budget no better place than here . Rent is cheap and you can buy a pretty nice place for less than a $100,000 .

There are plenty of help out there for those in need . At my age I know I will never be able to live here full time as I would never leave my grand kids behind . So I do what I'm doing now for the time being . If I'm still alive after ten years ,I will move here fulltime .

We have another family member in her 50s who is really sick and it came as a shock to me . My point being don't take things too much to heart and enjoy life guy's . it can end in a heart beat .

btw ..the giants stink . Mooch ..my body is a Temple and my mind is a National treasure .

Henry
02-22-2015, 03:50 PM
This has your name all over it mooch:

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/RC0215-207182/0/1953-Hudson-Hornet-Convertible/Automatic/

Henry

Mooch
02-22-2015, 04:51 PM
This has your name all over it mooch:

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/RC0215-207182/0/1953-Hudson-Hornet-Convertible/Automatic/

Henry

That is a beauty Henry . way out of my price range but what a car .

mooch

Jim2
02-22-2015, 04:57 PM
Well how bout that Mooch, Ford won again today... good week for Ford!

Mooch
02-22-2015, 08:45 PM
Well how bout that Mooch, Ford won again today... good week for Ford!

That was some race .You have to be lucky to win Daytona . There is a changing of the guard in Nascar starting this year . Plenty of new young kids driving and they are fast and not afraid .

Old Gordon is retiring and the other old boys are going to get run over soon . Gordon is smart and a really good guy .has all the money he will ever need . That kid won today is in early 20s and worth about 20 million . Going to be a interesting season . While that old Chevy small block you love so much was a great motor ..it couldn't keep up with these engines .

I was at Daytona in 64 when the Chrysler Hemi's killed the field .Petty won and the closest car to him was 2 laps down . Plymouth and Dodge 9 out of the top ten . A few years later nascar took care of that ..couldn't have those Chevys losing so bad .

They made the cubic inch no bigger than 353 . Oh didn't Chevy have a motor that size . Dale Earnhart and Bill France who started nascar were the best of friends .

I liked it better when you had to run what the company made that the public could buy .

A ford sweep at Daytona was sweet .

Mooch..NASA wants my brain .

Phil V
02-22-2015, 11:15 PM
NASA or the CDC, Mooch ?

Mooch
02-22-2015, 11:52 PM
NASA or the CDC, Mooch ?

NASA .they are aware of the fact I came here from a distant planet . They want a map but I took an oath not to reveal the location .

Mooch ..living with humans isn't easy .

easymoney
02-23-2015, 01:23 AM
that comment about new yorkers does not suprise me. tennessee has more than our share of transplanted yankees. they are different to put it mildly. they supposedly move from the north to get away fron the city but they are quick to point out how things was done where they came from.

Mooch
02-23-2015, 01:54 AM
that comment about new yorkers does not suprise me. tennessee has more than our share of transplanted yankees. they are different to put it mildly. they supposedly move from the north to get away fron the city but they are quick to point out how things was done where they came from.

New Yorkers are a different breed of people . They can be the best of friends you could ever had or the biggest nightmare . Unlike us guys from Jersey we are sweet and full of joy .

Btw where I live in NJ is below the mason Dixie line . But one thing for sure wherever we move to we make it better . Now why anyone would move to Tenn is beyond me . Mighty cold there in the winter unlike Florida . Plus we have oranges and palm trees .

Hawaii would be ok but they eat raw fish so I wouldn't trust them . You eat raw fish in Tenn ?

Mooch .... btw the Tenn river is mighty nice .

Jim2
02-23-2015, 04:20 AM
New Yorkers are a different breed of people . They can be the best of friends you could ever had or the biggest nightmare . Unlike us guys from Jersey we are sweet and full of joy .

Btw where I live in NJ is below the mason Dixie line . But one thing for sure wherever we move to we make it better . Now why anyone would move to Tenn is beyond me . Mighty cold there in the winter unlike Florida . Plus we have oranges and palm trees .

Hawaii would be ok but they eat raw fish so I wouldn't trust them . You eat raw fish in Tenn ?

Mooch .... btw the Tenn river is mighty nice .

Lmao Mooch, you're funny! Did they move the mason dixon line when I wasn't looking?

Jim2
02-23-2015, 04:27 AM

Well, they're just trying to help.. heheheheh..

Last time I was in Fla, we went from Miami to the gulf coast, and then to Orlando, and then back to Miami.

Orlando was much different than the rest of Fla from what I saw... but I did like the radio stations! Lot's of good music down there.. Even in Miami, some of that Cuban music rocks!

Mooch
02-23-2015, 10:54 AM
Lmao Mooch, you're funny! Did they move the mason dixon line when I wasn't looking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle-Island View Post
^No doubt. Some maps of the Mason-Dixon show Cape May below the line. Kind of amazing to think "the south" was just a two hour drive from here, and in New Jersey of all places.

That is because that portion of New Jersey actually is well south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Cape May is about even with Annapolis and Washington, DC in terms of latitude. If you extended the Mason-Dixon Line straight across New Jersey, you'd wind up around Long Beach Island.
leopard88 no está en línea

Mooch ..why do I even bother .

Jim2
02-24-2015, 05:54 AM
Mooch ..why do I even bother .

..because it's funny!

But NJ was never rebel territory, I don't care what "they" say.. and I know you know it's a bunch of crap too.

Henry
02-24-2015, 11:36 AM

As I recall, in the '70s many factories from CT relocated to the south and TN was a major relocation spot. Major bearing manufacturers, plastic injection mold machine manufacturers and many more "THOUGHT" they could do it cheaper down there.

Big surprise since it was quickly discovered that people in the south had no sense of work ethic and lacked major ability to learn. Soon, the relocated companies were paying their better workers to relocate. You can thank the north for jobs you people probably still have. You people were the "CHINA" of the '70s!

Henry