PDA

View Full Version : Rupes tool

TheCoatingStore.com

gtome
01-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Anyone had their hands on one of these yet? http://www.rupestool.com/p/us/en/0262777815359

We have a new paint rep for a store that changed management. The rep is here all the time and is willing to bend over backward to get us to buy everything from her. She brought me a new paint shaker, 4 new big fancy sandpaper carts/masking carts, 2 new Sata 4000 rp guns, 2- 3m primer guns, 2 Dynabrades, and is going to bring one of these Rupes random orbitals in for me to demo (she also brings in beer all the time, but I dont drink, so I dont care about that). I have a feeling it will be mine if I like it. Just seems like it would be slow compared to a traditional polisher. I really should buy the video here too. I want to really start refining my paint finishing technique.

89Blaze
01-19-2015, 01:36 AM
I'll leave the traditional polisher vs Rupes alone, and give you just my opinion on the Rupes. It is a extremely well balanced machine. One handed operation, if need be, is a walk in the park. You have complete control of the machine. Moreover, it's a pleasure to hold, the Rupes has very little vibration compared to other machines. The handle on the end of it is very comfortable and makes working with the Rupes very easy. I have, so far, been very happy with its cutting power, be it foam or microfiber cutting pads. The lager throw is nice and makes fast work of certain jobs. Its not like they reinvented the wheel, just made a very smooth tool that is a pleasure to work with. Give it a try!

Henry
01-19-2015, 06:25 AM
Anyone had their hands on one of these yet? http://www.rupestool.com/p/us/en/0262777815359

We have a new paint rep for a store that changed management. The rep is here all the time and is willing to bend over backward to get us to buy everything from her. She brought me a new paint shaker, 4 new big fancy sandpaper carts/masking carts, 2 new Sata 4000 rp guns, 2- 3m primer guns, 2 Dynabrades, and is going to bring one of these Rupes random orbitals in for me to demo (she also brings in beer all the time, but I dont drink, so I dont care about that). I have a feeling it will be mine if I like it. Just seems like it would be slow compared to a traditional polisher. I really should buy the video here too. I want to really start refining my paint finishing technique.

I'll try my best to refrain from commenting on her 'position' but this buffer lookes interesting. Ask her if she has any of the microfiber polishing discs. We all know how well microfiber handles a final wipe on newly buffed anything so I'd bet the MF disc for the buffer would work well. That's your assignment.

Hey, this tool is from Italy.

Henry

gtome
01-19-2015, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the insight guys. I am excited to try it. She told me the last shop that got one from her cut production time by 31.2% and product cost by 22.1%. If thats for real I will be stoked!
And for Henry, this girl could be in any position she wants for me! Shes got plenty of all the correct parts!;)

I will ask about the micro fiber. And I also like stuff from Italy! Italian cars, Italian motorcycles, Italian girls, Italian food...woohoo!!

gtome
02-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Henry I got the Rupes today. The dudes came (at the worst possible time of course) and I stopped what I was doing to spend some time with them. They didtn stay long, but gave me a good demonstration on whats what. Turns out the microfiber pads are the most aggressive of all of them and dont recommend them on fresh paint. Said its not needed. I made them show me on some old paint, some fresh paint, and some fresh 1500 grit sanded paint. Did a great job on all of them. They recommended I DA with 3000 for best results of course. So I did another spot with 1500 then 3000. they busted out a blue foam pad (I think) and polished it up nice with only that pad and one product. Used very little of that product as well. Seasnoned with 5 drops (new foam pad) then worked in 3 drops on about a quarter of the hood. I havent had a chance to play with it yet. But the Black Lincon should be back in a day or 2 and I will work it over with the new tool to see how it works for me with no guidance!

Henry
02-03-2015, 11:37 PM
Henry I got the Rupes today. The dudes came (at the worst possible time of course) and I stopped what I was doing to spend some time with them. They didtn stay long, but gave me a good demonstration on whats what. Turns out the microfiber pads are the most aggressive of all of them and dont recommend them on fresh paint. Said its not needed. I made them show me on some old paint, some fresh paint, and some fresh 1500 grit sanded paint. Did a great job on all of them. They recommended I DA with 3000 for best results of course. So I did another spot with 1500 then 3000. they busted out a blue foam pad (I think) and polished it up nice with only that pad and one product. Used very little of that product as well. Seasnoned with 5 drops (new foam pad) then worked in 3 drops on about a quarter of the hood. I havent had a chance to play with it yet. But the Black Lincon should be back in a day or 2 and I will work it over with the new tool to see how it works for me with no guidance!

Thanks for the update. Keep in mind everything they say and also remember what you learned here from our resident expert ROBERT. SHould you ever get confused on any part of the colorsanding/detail part you can always send him a PM. You're a busy boy. Make it all fit.

Henry

gtome
02-04-2015, 12:14 PM
I'm seriously considering picking up his video. If I learn even one thing it would be money Well spent.

Henry
02-04-2015, 02:17 PM
I'm seriously considering picking up his video. If I learn even one thing it would be money Well spent.

Ya know, from helping create his Sure Finsh Polish (compound-polish 3in1) to bringing us a combination of the proper pads to use along with his advice, he is surely our "Resident Expert'. He developed and/or brought us his "ORANGE" pad made from something called like articulated foam which is a fantastic pad that I TRIED to burn a surface with and couldn't.

You can learn a lot from Robert as in some of his video works found below:

http://autobodystore.com/forum/showthread.php?23828-Robert-s-Detailing-Videos

Then, there is his video "Detailing for Enthusiasts":

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=RSW01&Category_Code=4VDO

A good percentage of the Concourse cars you see at Pebble Beach were detailed by him. This would include where a vehicle may get a paint touchup that he had to sand, buff and blend as if it were never touched. Multi million dollar cars that he hits with sandpaper and a wheel. NO THANKS!

My young understudy, gather everything you can as you keep moving forward. Almost forgot, Robert has great stuff written with many pictures in the CLASSROOM in case you never saw them. Take care.

Henry

TOGWT
07-15-2015, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the insight guys. I am excited to try it. She told me the last shop that got one from her cut production time by 31.2% and product cost by 22.1%. If thats for real I will be stoked!
And for Henry, this girl could be in any position she wants for me! Shes got plenty of all the correct parts!;)

I will ask about the micro fiber. And I also like stuff from Italy! Italian cars, Italian motorcycles, Italian girls, Italian food...woohoo!!

Microfiber Pads work in a similar way to a collapsed foam cell pad, the pads distort, stretch and compress, while being worked on a polishing machine. The greater the thickness of the foam between the backing plate and the car surface, were you have one surface that stays rigid, being driven by the polishing machine, while the foam acts as somewhat of a shock absorber, taking up any off-axis movement, while also keeping the pads face horizontal to the paint surface.

Micro fibre Pads - http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/microfiber-pads.html