PDA

View Full Version : What Compunds/Tools/Materials to Use?

TheCoatingStore.com

69-er
10-26-2014, 01:37 PM
I guess this is directed more at Len, but if anyone else would like to make suggestions, please do!

The store has a few brands of cutting and polish compounds, but I can't decide which to use. Could someone recommend a shopping list including quantities?

It's a black bc/cc with Nason paint. I will probably be applying 3 coats of clear, depending on the orange peel situation. Enough thickness to sand it smooth and flat as possible. This will be my first attempt at cutting and polishing. I'll be starting the sanding a day or two after spraying.

In my my shopping so cart far:

5 sheets each of 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper, 3M. (Maybe go to 2500 to make for easier polishing?)
Combination wool and foam spur.
Set of run blockers
Course and fine nib files.
Rubber squeegee, 3M.

I have a Makita 9227C. It came with one wool pad. I figure I just need to add a foam pad.

I think that's all the info I need. Basically, I need it all, from the sanding to the final polish.

Also, I understand that it's a lot easier to see swirl marks in black paint. Some recommend the Makita BO6040 locked in forced rotation. Are there alternatives to removing the swirls?

I know this a lot to ask, but I just need someone to take my hand and tell me what to buy! I determine later what I like and dislike.

Thanks!

Len
10-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Sorry it took so long to answer, I've been out all day today.

If you're sanding by hand then taking it to a 2500 scratch will make buffing a little easier. If you have a good orbital sander (like an AirVantage) you could make the work go a lot faster and easier.

Run blockers and Nib Files come in handy for removing problems from the paint but be careful with the Nib Files or you can damage the paint. Use a "light touch" and you should be ok, it's pressure on the Nib File that can cause problems.

You need a different backing plate for the Makita. If you're going with the 6" foam pads that I sell you want the 6" hook and loop pad pictured HERE (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=SFPADS&Category_Code=T2). The backing plate that comes with the Makita is made for larger wool pads and the shape and size is incorrect for the 6" foam.

We love the Wizards Mystic Cut compound, it's fast and easy to use, check it out HERE (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=WIZ11048&Category_Code=M3).

69-er
10-26-2014, 10:24 PM
No problem, I appreciate you helping me out here!

1. You don't have 2500 grit?

2. Should I start with the 6"/6.5" HD wool pad then go to orange and then black foam pads? (There are two sizes describing the wool and foam pads; 6" and 6.5".) If they are 6.5", will the 6" backing plate will work with the 6.5" pads?

3. How many bottles of Mystic compound will it take?

4. What about the Mystic polish? When would that be used?

5. And, one more. What about the swirl problem I might have with the black paint? What are some solutions to this? I really don't want to get the Makita BO6040 if I can help it.

I'm ready to pull the trigger, hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Len
10-27-2014, 08:20 AM
1. You don't have 2500 grit?

3M doesn't sell 5 packs of that grit but I buy it in 50 sheet packs that I can break and send 5 sheets to you. I put it on the 5 sheet pack page located HERE (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=3mimpwetdry&Category_Code=SM). The 2500 grit only comes in half sheets.

2. Should I start with the 6"/6.5" HD wool pad then go to orange and then black foam pads? (There are two sizes describing the wool and foam pads; 6" and 6.5".) If they are 6.5", will the 6" backing plate will work with the 6.5" pads?

We don't use wool that much these days but wool is a little easier to handle because it doesn't have as much drag while you buff, we only use the foam pads. The 6" backing plate is made for the 6.5" pads.

3. How many bottles of Mystic compound will it take?

It depends on the size of the job, the hardness of the paint and the condition of the surface. In most cases we can get away with one quart but we have used a little more than on quart on some occasions.

4. What about the Mystic polish? When would that be used?

On dark colors where a soft paint is used and you have swirls to deal with you might want to use the polish but we haven't found the need for it.

5. And, one more. What about the swirl problem I might have with the black paint? What are some solutions to this? I really don't want to get the Makita BO6040 if I can help it.

If you think you might have a swirl problem get the black foam pad and the Mystic Polish. The black pad is softer and the polish is finer and you'll have less tendency to create swirls.