PDA

View Full Version : Tool of choice

laldog
08-14-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm attempting a restoration of an old BMW, cutting out and patching the numerous rust areas that have popped up through the 30 years of the cars life.

I don't have access to a sandblaster and I fear it would create a major mess in the small driveway space i have.

That being the case, what would be the tool of choice for removing the existing rust and cleaning the area as I get it ready to weld in the patches?
The areas around the floor boards (etc) are surrounded by curves, bumbs ridges, nooks and crannies that are almost impossible to reach with a grinder, and those wire wheels don't seem to have what it takes...

What is the tols that most of you are using for this situation??

TimG
08-14-2006, 10:53 PM
If you have access to a compresser,I'd get a little Speedblaster{Len sells them}and a cheapie in line air regulater to go with it,you can turn the air pressure down and adjust the sand flow so you won't make a major mess!
Black Beauty blasting media is coal slag,comes in different grits,can be reused a couple times if you sift it thru a screen,and is,as the name says,black.
Blends in well with pavement,won't look like you moved the beach to your driveway.......

lilredex
08-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Have always used an angle grinder with a knotted cup wheel for those tight places. Does a good job on rust and old paint.

Ron H
08-16-2006, 11:23 AM
If you can't sand blast, wire wheels and knotted wire wheels on a drill, 3m 2" bristle discs (green), 3" roloc scotch brite pads (browm) on a 1 1/2" backing, and 3m roloc 3" sanding discs on the same spindle, using an angle die grinder. Also if there are no seams in the area I have used chemical stripper also in conjuncton with all the above methods on my car. l am very careful when using chemical stripper to stay away from seams that can hold a residue from the stripper. 3m also makes a couple synthetic wheels for your drill which are made for paint and rust removal. I had to use a variety of the above methods, until I bought my sand blaster. However I would not recommend the sand blaster unless you are going to disassemble the car. The sand will ge everywhere. Throw in a 7" variable speed polisher/sander and you will have all the arsenal you will probably need to do your whole car. You can view my results by clicking on my picturetrail link below. Ron

Roch_Greg
08-17-2006, 01:15 AM
I'm in agreement with all of the above, esp with Tim. I have one of those Speed Blasters with the Hot Spot (http://www.unitec-mfg.com/hotspot.htm) attachement and it works very well for small spots and tight areas while not covering you and everything else with sand grit.

Phil V
08-17-2006, 09:22 AM
If you don't want to sand blast or don't want to pay someone else sandblast the car then my advice is don't even start the job. Sell it and buy one thats already done. No muss, no fuss. Sand blasting (media blasting) is the ONLY way to remove rust other than replacing the whole metal panel.