PDA

View Full Version : Flex and polish

skip99
09-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Doing a lot of black or dark cars , i use wizards compound white pad to cut and buff,
Followed by black pad and wizards polish, i also have finessit, 3m step 3.
And fine blue pad.
Color sanded up to 2000 or 2500,
Tried trizact and didnt notice much difference. Panels are real flat and shiny, there is just a light swirl...large halo? That i cant. Make go away
Im sure a wax or topping would work, but i would like to see it gone before..
Im looking at a flex 3401, so, whats the best way to use it? In the finishing buff? Black pad and fine polish? Or even use it in the compound stage , after the rotary?

I even tried a light pad on a da sander, didnt seem to make any difference.

Suggestions?
The paint is really nice, im just looking for improvement..

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr241/skip99202/imagejpg1_zpsc7824d24.jpg (http://s488.photobucket.com/user/skip99202/media/imagejpg1_zpsc7824d24.jpg.html)

Len
09-23-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm not familiar with the Flex but we use the Makita BO6040 and lock the orbit to remove that light fog left by the rotary polisher and it works great. I don't sell the BO6040 but if you do a search I'm sure there are several places that sell it and the Flex however make sure you get a machine that allows you to lock the orbit, a random orbital like a DA takes forever to do anything.

skip99
09-23-2014, 02:37 PM
The flex3401 is a forced rotation da, so is it better to use the da,,,whichever..after the first rotary compound? Or after the finish compound with a fine pad? Or. Afterr all the rotary polishing is done with a finer polish?

Len
09-23-2014, 03:19 PM
The flex3401 is a forced rotation da, so is it better to use the da,,,whichever..after the first rotary compound? Or after the finish compound with a fine pad? Or. Afterr all the rotary polishing is done with a finer polish?

The polishing with the rotary then with the forced rotation orbital is the way to go.

HERE (http://www.autobodystore.com/swirl_removal.shtml) is how a first class detailer does the job.

style
09-23-2014, 04:40 PM
I would go with a rotory fine wool pad and sure finish to remove the imperfections then follow that with a black pad. With sure finish then take the same black pad and put it on the makita 6040 or flex 3401vrg and finish it off then i like to use the flex or makita to apply my polymer with a fine pad black or white to top it off..

I used the makita for 7 years and then sold it never once had a maint issue,last week i bought a flex it has a longer throw and almost no vibration like the makita has works way smother and seems to be just as fast if not faster..

skip99
09-23-2014, 06:18 PM
Mystic cut or. Turbo for the first round of compound? I have turbo, but this paint sat for a month, definitly a little harder now...

Len
09-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Mystic cut or. Turbo for the first round of compound? I have turbo, but this paint sat for a month, definitly a little harder now...

Hard is good when you're close to perfection and you want to take it all the way. The harder the better, just use the right tools, materials and technique and you'll get it real close to perfect.

xtremekustomz
09-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Kinda sounds like your paint is pretty hard and just a polish isn't going to take the defects out. Are you using halogen lights or something of the sort so you can see your progress? Also keep in mind a lot of polishes out there have oils in them that will cover imperfections and come back after the oils have evaporated. You can mix some isopropyl alcohol and water in a spray bottle to remove oils after compounding/polishing. I would do a spot with your compound on a foam buffing pad to see what it does first.

style
09-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Kinda sounds like your paint is pretty hard and just a polish isn't going to take the defects out. Are you using halogen lights or something of the sort so you can see your progress? Also keep in mind a lot of polishes out there have oils in them that will cover imperfections and come back after the oils have evaporated. You can mix some isopropyl alcohol and water in a spray bottle to remove oils after compounding/polishing. I would do a spot with your compound on a foam buffing pad to see what it does first.

+1 on that,Thats why i was recommending sure finish,so nothing bites you in the butt down the road..

skip99
10-17-2014, 12:47 PM
Wow! This flex 3401 is awesome!
Took a little playing around, but it just keeps getting better.. I had always been taught to compound slow , then speed it up at the end , and to polish at 3-4k rpm.

Since this all i had, here is what i did. I wet sanded up to 2500 by hand.started at 800 so it was really straight.
Then white pad with wizards turbo, it buffed nice...then went over it with 2000 in spots where there were pig tails or random scratches. Lightly rotary buffed those.
Then same compound on the flex with an orange, compound pad....beautiful! All the halos and scratches are gone.

Then rotary polished with a few different types, all about the same, v36, meguiars 205, wizards final polish.
Then followed that with flex and same polish on polish pad,
Finished off with flex superfine pad and meguiars # 7

Ive painted a lot and buffed over the years, and just wanted to step it up a bit, thisblack trans am looks like you poured motor oil over it...

I found that if you slow the rotary buffer down it helps a lot..1800 with compounds worked great

I did a lot of research and talked to some great detailers..

I just ordered all new lake country pads, and menzerna polish...so, ill post later if there is anymore improvement with these products..

skip99
10-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Been buffing for the last couple days....

Tried the menzerna,,,,,dont waste your time or money. I used the fg400 with wool, and ccs pads and the white hub pads ive been using.

Just wouldnt cut worth a crap, switched back to wizards turbo and mystic cut. With a white pad, and it worked like a dream..

Tried all different combos with menzrna ip 2000 and thier 4000. It was ok for a final polish, but for the price, wizards final polish and meguiars 205. Was just as good if not better.

It seemed the best combo was what i had originally, but adding the flex is what made all the difference.

So, in conclusion, my approach is to cut with a white pad and wizards, i do want to try meguiars 105 though.
Then hit it with the flex and same compound. Then move to black pad qnd either wizards polish or meguiars 205, again followed by the flex...then a sealant, like meguoars 7.

Spent damn near $200 on menzena and fancy pads.....pretty much a waste.

xtremekustomz
10-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Been buffing for the last couple days....

Tried the menzerna,,,,,dont waste your time or money. I used the fg400 with wool, and ccs pads and the white hub pads ive been using.

Just wouldnt cut worth a crap, switched back to wizards turbo and mystic cut. With a white pad, and it worked like a dream..

Tried all different combos with menzrna ip 2000 and thier 4000. It was ok for a final polish, but for the price, wizards final polish and meguiars 205. Was just as good if not better.

It seemed the best combo was what i had originally, but adding the flex is what made all the difference.

So, in conclusion, my approach is to cut with a white pad and wizards, i do want to try meguiars 105 though.
Then hit it with the flex and same compound. Then move to black pad qnd either wizards polish or meguiars 205, again followed by the flex...then a sealant, like meguoars 7.

Spent damn near $200 on menzena and fancy pads.....pretty much a waste.

I was able to get M105 to cut pretty good with a wool pad and finish out nicely for most colors other than black. There is also a M101 and M100 I believe. They have more cut. As for a polish..I don't like M205. It has too many oils in it and you can't really tell if it has actually worked until removing them or letting them evaporate. My favorite polish is HD Polish. It has no fillers so what you see after wiping the final haze is actually what the paint looks like. I pretty much use HD cut for compounding unless something is really bad and then I will use 3m Rubbing Compound on a wool pad. It induces swirls with the wool pad but has great cut. I still use LC pads for polishing and some compounding. Optimum makes some great products especially for sealant or wax. Opti Seal and Optimum Car Wax are my favorites mainly because of durability and ease of use. You can probably sell the FG400 to someone on autopia.org