PDA

View Full Version : What is the consensus on car wax?

HotRodMan
09-01-2014, 11:28 PM
I don't see much discussion on car wax. After you have painted your car, have sanded and buffed the finish, have waited the 60 to 90 days, is there any need to wax the car? If so what is the best wax to use?

Skalabala
09-02-2014, 02:18 AM
Wait a long time and then I use "Luxor wax"
It is cheap stuff :)

Methodical
09-11-2014, 10:29 AM
What is your goal for the car's finish? Personally, I get my shine from polishing and I protect the finish with sealant and not wax, which for me is just a cleaner. The typical waxes in your local parts stores are cleaner/waxes - they clean and provide some protection, but it's short lived - an all in one. When I work my vehicles, if in bad shape, I do a 3-4 step correction; compound, polish and seal (sometimes I'd do a glaze). All done with a DA polisher for a swirl free finish.

If you want to really, really learn about waxes and polishes and various techniques, then go to Autogeek forum. The forum is all about detailing and correcting auto finishes.

Here's a thread on how to choose one step cleaner/wax. This is just one of many educational threads. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/81546-how-choose-one-step-cleaner-wax.html

Henry
09-11-2014, 02:00 PM
What is your goal for the car's finish? Personally, I get my shine from polishing and I protect the finish with sealant and not wax, which for me is just a cleaner. The typical waxes in your local parts stores are cleaner/waxes - they clean and provide some protection, but it's short lived - an all in one. When I work my vehicles, if in bad shape, I do a 3-4 step correction; compound, polish and seal (sometimes I'd do a glaze). All done with a DA polisher for a swirl free finish.

If you want to really, really learn about waxes and polishes and various techniques, then go to Autogeek forum. The forum is all about detailing and correcting auto finishes.

Here's a thread on how to choose one step cleaner/wax. This is just one of many educational threads. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/81546-how-choose-one-step-cleaner-wax.html

If I had a dollar for every time this geek guy said Porter Cable and the model # I could buy a Makita B6040. Maybe some good information but too much blah, blah, blah.

Henry

Len
09-11-2014, 05:33 PM
If I had a dollar for every time this geek guy said Porter Cable and the model # I could buy a Makita B6040. Maybe some good information but too much blah, blah, blah.

Henry

And you could probably do just as good a job with a DA palm sander as that Porter Cable. The Makita BO6040 is a much better machine because you can lock the action but it's also twice the price.

Henry
09-11-2014, 06:00 PM
And you could probably do just as good a job with a DA palm sander as that Porter Cable. The Makita BO6040 is a much better machine because you can lock the action but it's also twice the price.

"You get what you pay for". I wish our resident ROBERT wasn't so busy and chimed in on this one regarding the wax or sealant question.

Also, on the B06040, Robert uses this as a professional doing multi-million dollar vehicles all day long. Maybe he'll chime in.

Henry

tbm3fan
09-11-2014, 09:55 PM

True it costs more but considering how bulletproof it is built one can expect it to last a lifetime. I saw others but took Robert's advice and spent the extra for quality. Learned long ago not to cut corners.

xtremekustomz
09-17-2014, 09:04 PM
I personally love my porter cable da polisher. I've had it for about 8 years now. I don 't use over the counter waxes personally. I like the slickness that a sealant/wax/glaze adds to the paint. For a quick wax I like Optimum Polymer Technologies Car Wax. I use it on the whole vehicle including glass, plastic, pretty much everywhere. Also the manufacturer says it is fresh paint safe so no need to wait 60-90 days before using it. For carnuba I like Blackfire of P21s. You are going to get your most durability out of a "permanent" coating like Optiseal 2.0 or something like that. I've seen it last for a few years. I polished and "waxed" my gf's car a little while back. I used 3D Compound, 3D Polish, Wt Glaze 2.0 and P21s.

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/xtremekustomz/tucson1_zps6fe8234c.jpg (http://s633.photobucket.com/user/xtremekustomz/media/tucson1_zps6fe8234c.jpg.html)

style
09-18-2014, 03:18 AM

Fuk autogeek megan is a whore and all the crap they sell is silicone and washes off after 2 car washes i checked it out and im very dissapointed you liar..

Why anyone with half a brain would support that nazi website is beyond me,you have to be a really desperate or a stupid fool to not see through the lines and be a member there at all..

And btw why the hell are you posting links to other websites here in the first place ,i dare you to put a link on that fat racist biggots site with a link to here and it would last less then a day and you would be banned to boot..

xtremekustomz
09-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Fuk autogeek megan is a whore and all the crap they sell is silicone and washes off after 2 car washes i checked it out and im very dissapointed you liar..

Why anyone with half a brain would support that nazi website is beyond me,you have to be a really desperate or a stupid fool to not see through the lines and be a member there at all..

And btw why the hell are you posting links to other websites here in the first place ,i dare you to put a link on that fat racist biggots site with a link to here and it would last less then a day and you would be banned to boot..

Not trying to start anything here but do you think you are going a little overboard saying some of these things? I've personally had nothing but great experiences dealing with autogeek. Prices were always the same as other sites, shipping was fast and the one time I had to deal with customer support they went far beyond what was expected. I actually had a backing plate go bad probably a year after I bought it. I posted a picture of it online and one of the salesman saw it and shipped me a new one no questions asked. If you had a bad experience I would like to know what it was. If it was just someone being rude on a forum let's be honest.....those people are on every forum we go to. I try to look past it and not sweat it. Most people say things online that they would never say face to face with someone anyway. Now as for you saying EVERYTHING that sells silicone and washes off after 2 washes I highly doubt. They sell A LOT of products there. When it comes to conventional waxes yes...most wash off rather quickly. When it comes to a sealant thought it will last a lot longer. My car still beads from use Optimum Car Wax from 5-6 months ago.

style
09-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Not trying to start anything here but do you think you are going a little overboard saying some of these things? I've personally had nothing but great experiences dealing with autogeek. Prices were always the same as other sites, shipping was fast and the one time I had to deal with customer support they went far beyond what was expected. I actually had a backing plate go bad probably a year after I bought it. I posted a picture of it online and one of the salesman saw it and shipped me a new one no questions asked. If you had a bad experience I would like to know what it was. If it was just someone being rude on a forum let's be honest.....those people are on every forum we go to. I try to look past it and not sweat it. Most people say things online that they would never say face to face with someone anyway. Now as for you saying EVERYTHING that sells silicone and washes off after 2 washes I highly doubt. They sell A LOT of products there. When it comes to conventional waxes yes...most wash off rather quickly. When it comes to a sealant thought it will last a lot longer. My car still beads from use Optimum Car Wax from 5-6 months ago.

Megan at autogeek is a piece of crap ,one guy on there washed and vaccumed a expedition and called it a detail,i went on to say thats not a detail the carpets werent shampooed or anything else withen 15 minutes i got a pm from megan saying i should keep my mouth shut then my reply was the same washing a car and hand waxing it and vaccuming it with no dressings etc is not a true detail so she banned me i called them where i was told to go to hell basically and yes there top line punnicle wax washes off after one car wash also when i replied to the guy i put a link from there site 5 years prior of a full detail on the same kind of car.. on another note i got to many inapropriate messages from megan asking me to have sex with her when i dont even know her so yea shes a whore..

xtremekustomz
09-18-2014, 05:29 PM
Megan is a piece of crap ,one guy on there washed and vaccumed a expedition and called it a detail,i went on to say thats not a detail the carpets werent shampooed or anything else withen 15 minutes i got a pm from megan saying i should keep my mouth shut then my reply was the same washing a car and hand waxing it and vaccuming it with no dressings etc is not a true detail so she banned me i called them where i was told to go to hell basically and yes there top line punnicle wax washes off after one car wash also when i replied to the guy i put a link from there site 5 years prior of a full detail on the same kind of car.. on another note i got to many inapropriate messages from megan asking me to have sex with her when i dont even know her so yea shes a whore..

Ok so look at it this way. You post pictures on here of something that you painted. Maybe you didn't remove the tail lights and just taped them off cause it seemed easier. Now someone posts that you did a bad job and half a$$ed it. Are you going to take that as corrective criticism or are you going to get defensive about it? I'm pretty sure like anyone it will tick you off. That's probably the same exact thing that happened in your situation. Let's be honest....there are "professionals" on this site every day. Some do high end cars and use products that they always have and are fine with that. Some work in collision shops that require them to take classes regularly to keep up to date with the newest products and techniques. Do both ways work? Yes. Is there going to be a paint failure because you aren't doing the new and improved way? Probably not. Either way there is always going to be someone at some point in time that does a better job that you, myself, hell even Chip Foose. He doesn't win the Riddler Award every year after all! If something that happened online with a person that you have never seen and probably never will causes you to get that upset step back for a second and think about why you are even mad and is it really that important? So you don't like their forum or Pinnacle wax. Don't buy from them or get on their forum. Simple as that! Treat others as you would want to be treated. If you wouldn't like someone calling you out on your work then don't call someone else out.

style
09-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Ok so look at it this way. You post pictures on here of something that you painted. Maybe you didn't remove the tail lights and just taped them off cause it seemed easier. Now someone posts that you did a bad job and half a$$ed it. Are you going to take that as corrective criticism or are you going to get defensive about it? I'm pretty sure like anyone it will tick you off. That's probably the same exact thing that happened in your situation. Let's be honest....there are "professionals" on this site every day. Some do high end cars and use products that they always have and are fine with that. Some work in collision shops that require them to take classes regularly to keep up to date with the newest products and techniques. Do both ways work? Yes. Is there going to be a paint failure because you aren't doing the new and improved way? Probably not. Either way there is always going to be someone at some point in time that does a better job that you, myself, hell even Chip Foose. He doesn't win the Riddler Award every year after all! If something that happened online with a person that you have never seen and probably never will causes you to get that upset step back for a second and think about why you are even mad and is it really that important? So you don't like their forum or Pinnacle wax. Don't buy from them or get on their forum. Simple as that! Treat others as you would want to be treated. If you wouldn't like someone calling you out on your work then don't call someone else out.

I tell it as i see it,warning people about a website that will steal there hard earned money and lie about products and pretend to care about customers ,

really is a good thing not a bad thing to be warning you as it was my first hand experience not hear say,as for tail lights being masked been there done that you get what you pay for.. call me out on my work all you want any and all suggestions are appreciated..

Sorry if id rather buy from a company that doesnt sexually harass me and then screw me with there watered down overpriced products,did i mention the poor excuse for customer service..

And i never said he did a bad job just said nice car wash ,he did a car wash and not a detail..

Methodical
09-24-2014, 09:05 PM

It sounds like you had a bad experience over at Autogeek. If what you said over there is like what you say here, I see why they banned you. You have no tact in getting your message across without sounding like an angry fool. Funny thing is I have not heard anything bad about them. If there are a group of folks that hate Autogeek, I'd sure would like to know. Oh, is it against the rules to post links to other websites here? Oh and read my signature. The advice is free.

Al

Len
09-24-2014, 09:35 PM
It sounds like you had a bad experience over at Autogeek. If what you said over there is like what you say here, I see why they banned you. You have no tact in getting your message across without sounding like an angry fool. Funny thing is I have not heard anything bad about them. If there are a group of folks that hate Autogeek, I'd sure would like to know. Oh, is it against the rules to post links to other websites here? Oh and read my signature. The advice is free.

Al

Linking out in order to pass along constructive information is fine but linking to a selling sight is a no no.

style
09-24-2014, 11:15 PM

Al

Im not angry at all ,im just worried about your health and wellness kind sir wouldnt want you catching an std or anything from any promiscuous people mentioned in other posts..

Btw your advice sucks,seems to me your a pushy control freak trying to shove your advice in my face ,there are classes in anger management that may help you along with that,or if all else fails my door is always open for you bud..:)

Methodical
09-25-2014, 09:17 AM
Linking out in order to pass along constructive information is fine but linking to a selling sight is a no no.

My link was to provide information to the OP, so was that link ok?

Al

Methodical
09-25-2014, 09:18 AM
Im not angry at all ,im just worried about your health and wellness kind sir wouldnt want you catching an std or anything from any promiscuous people mentioned in other posts..

Btw your advice sucks,seems to me your a pushy control freak trying to shove your advice in my face ,there are classes in anger management that may help you along with that,or if all else fails my door is always open for you bud..:)

Again. Think before you speak!!!!

Len
09-25-2014, 11:13 AM
My link was to provide information to the OP, so was that link ok?

Al

As long as it was a link to an information site and not a sales site it's ok. If it's a link to a sales site it usually gets removed. If you want to recommend a product then just do it in your post without a link.

style
09-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Again. Think before you speak!!!!

I am thinking ,thank you very much, thinking about all those poor chums out there that bought watered down silicone in a bottle labeled wax for 3x what its worth..

ill be the bigger person here, lets agree to disagree on this one..

Robert
09-26-2014, 08:48 AM
Thanks for standing up for me and the Makita.

When it comes to the random orbitals, I think they're a product of marketing not a result of testing one method against another. There's very little movement between the pad and the paint and therefore not a lot of work going on. They keep trying to make that design work by providing harder pads, longer throw - the Rupes - and even thinner pads because the flex in the pad eats up some of the motion and makes the machines even less effective.

Here's a video of a guy trying to burn paint I thought was pretty good. He has a paint gauge so he can show just how much cut there is. It's funny for me to watch him try to remove paint with a Porter Cable and an aggressive polish and the surprise he got when he took the measurement.
Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZioQ4aI3wPk

I can understand why the big companies have gone this route. Very few people are going to do any damage with a method that doesn't do much, so they don't have to answer phone calls from irate knuckleheads complaining about how they burnt the paint off their cars. It's much easier to sell fill and glaze and machines that make a lot of noise doing very little than have to listen to those calls. If I was them, I'd do the same thing and if I didn't, I should be fired because the company would go under.

All the best,
Robert

junk
09-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Robert - Interesting post. Thanks!

Henry
09-26-2014, 10:03 AM
So glad you were able to chime in on this one. Not sure what the test in the video was intended to show. No one uses a buffer the way he tested it. The video was like watching grass grow.

Your comments made a lot of sense, however. Thanks again and enjoy the weekend.

Henry

xtremekustomz
09-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Thanks for standing up for me and the Makita.

When it comes to the random orbitals, I think they're a product of marketing not a result of testing one method against another. There's very little movement between the pad and the paint and therefore not a lot of work going on. They keep trying to make that design work by providing harder pads, longer throw - the Rupes - and even thinner pads because the flex in the pad eats up some of the motion and makes the machines even less effective.

Here's a video of a guy trying to burn paint I thought was pretty good. He has a paint gauge so he can show just how much cut there is. It's funny for me to watch him try to remove paint with a Porter Cable and an aggressive polish and the surprise he got when he took the measurement.
Video
I can understand why the big companies have gone this route. Very few people are going to do any damage with a method that doesn't do much, so they don't have to answer phone calls from irate knuckleheads complaining about how they burnt the paint off their cars. It's much easier to sell fill and glaze and machines that make a lot of noise doing very little than have to listen to those calls. If I was them, I'd do the same thing and if I didn't, I should be fired because the company would go under.

All the best,
Robert

I normally use my porter cable for doing a final polish on black paints. Using it, a fine polish and soft foam pad I never have issues with any holograms or light marring. I have even used it with a meguiars microfiber pad and cut out 1500 grit scratches. It isn't the fastest way to do it but it does work and with a diminishing abrasive compound there is no need for a final polish. On speed 6 mine actually spins and doesn't just orbit. It was designed more for light polishing and not buffing anyway. There are a lot of professional detailers that use da polishers as their go to other than a regular buffer. Look up Gary Dean on youtube.

Robert
09-26-2014, 08:39 PM
I know Gary Dean, and I know you can, I repeat, can take out scratches with the random orbitals but at the same time, I stand by everything I've said. Here's a video with Kevin Brown - of the "Kevin Brown method" who's one of the major proponents of the use of random orbitals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUdnj4CVFmQ&list=UUYsa8SOy3TkoxI5D17s1u-w

At some point they mention it took twenty hours to polish out this mustang - twenty hours - to cut 3000 grit scratch, and this is supposed to be one of the best guys in the business with that machine and it's the Rupes which has a lot more throw than the Porter Cable.

Robert

Henry
09-27-2014, 04:29 AM
I know Gary Dean, and I know you can, I repeat, can take out scratches with the random orbitals but at the same time, I stand by everything I've said. Here's a video with Kevin Brown - of the "Kevin Brown method" who's one of the major proponents of the use of random orbitals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUdnj4CVFmQ&list=UUYsa8SOy3TkoxI5D17s1u-w

At some point they mention it took twenty hours to polish out this mustang - twenty hours - to cut 3000 grit scratch, and this is supposed to be one of the best guys in the business with that machine and it's the Rupes which has a lot more throw than the Porter Cable.

Robert

I could imagine someone, some where listening to Kevin Brown and applying 2K or epoxy primer to the pad. If these guys spent any time on the ABS forum the first thing they would have learned was to "SEASON" the pad. Thank you for that Robert from many years ago. Also, looked like pinholes in the door when they shined the light on it.

I've never used over 1500 to sand on my 3/32 DA then Sure Finish using wool with a switch to Robert's ORANGE pad then to black foam. Microfiber towel and no pigtails, swirls, halos, etc. Never tried 3000 which might make things easier but always satisfied with my result. I use a Hitachi buffer which is a clone to the Makita 9227c.

Thanks Robert for sharing.

Henry