PDA

View Full Version : Can not get rid of hazy cloudy appearance in paint?

TheCoatingStore.com

HotRodMan
08-29-2014, 04:46 PM
I have a friend that has painted a 73 Vega with 3 coats of single stage white paint using an Iwata 400 spray gun. He let it cure for two weeks, started with the top in the cut and buff stage with 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit sand paper, then buffed with Maguires 105 compound with an orange foam pad. The whole surface had a hazy cloudy appearance when he was finished. That is when he called me.

I went over there and taped off a 2' X 2' area, wet sanded the area with a DA palm sander with 1500 grit until all visible signs of orange peal and scratches were gone, then went over the same area again several times wet sanding with 3000 grit paper. Then polished with Wizards Mystic cut compound with an orange pad using a 7 inch pneumatic polisher/sander. Spend a lot of time on this in an effort to do it right.

I have made an improvement over what was there, but there is still an obvious hazy cloudy appearance to the paint surface over the entire area.

What do I do next?

Len
08-29-2014, 05:06 PM
I have a friend that has painted a 73 Vega with 3 coats of single stage white paint using an Iwata 400 spray gun. He let it cure for two weeks, started with the top in the cut and buff stage with 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit sand paper, then buffed with Maguires 105 compound with an orange foam pad. The whole surface had a hazy cloudy appearance when he was finished. That is when he called me.

I went over there and taped off a 2' X 2' area, wet sanded the area with a DA palm sander with 1500 grit until all visible signs of orange peal and scratches were gone, then went over the same area again several times wet sanding with 3000 grit paper. Then polished with Wizards Mystic cut compound with an orange pad using a 7 inch pneumatic polisher/sander. Spend a lot of time on this in an effort to do it right.

I have made an improvement over what was there, but there is still an obvious hazy cloudy appearance to the paint surface over the entire area.

What do I do next?

What kind of paint was used?

HotRodMan
08-29-2014, 06:34 PM
This was a single stage summit racing brand urethane paint mixed 4 to 1 paint and activator sprayed at 85 degrees with a slow activator. Twenty minute wait time between coats sprayed over an epoxy sealer.

Len
08-29-2014, 07:46 PM
This was a single stage summit racing brand urethane paint mixed 4 to 1 paint and activator sprayed at 85 degrees with a slow activator. Twenty minute wait time between coats sprayed over an epoxy sealer.

It almost sounds like the paint is soft. Press you thumb hard against the surface for about 10 seconds then remove your thumb and wipe the surface. If you can see your thumb print in the reflection then it's soft paint. The only cure I can think of (no matter what the problem) is to sand the entire surface with some 1000 grit and clear it.

Skalabala
09-02-2014, 02:28 AM
See if you can make a small dent in the paint with your finger nail.
If the paint is hard and you used 3000 paper then a simple rub with your bare finger must make it shine :)