PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on Len's method of sanding and polishing clear coat

TheCoatingStore.com

HotRodMan
08-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Len, you say you are using 1500 and 3000 grit sand paper on your clear coat before you start polishing. Are you flattening the surface, completely eliminating the orange peal, with the 1500 grit, then removing the 1500 sand scratches with the 3000 grit paper? No other grits normally used?

You say you are using the Wizards mystic cut compound, with the orange and black pads. Am I assuming correctly that you are using the same compound for the compounding and polishing procedures? You are just using different pads. Orange pad for compounding and black pad for polishing? Thanks

Len
08-19-2014, 09:35 AM
Len, you say you are using 1500 and 3000 grit sand paper on your clear coat before you start polishing. Are you flattening the surface, completely eliminating the orange peal, with the 1500 grit, then removing the 1500 sand scratches with the 3000 grit paper? No other grits normally used?

You say you are using the Wizards mystic cut compound, with the orange and black pads. Am I assuming correctly that you are using the same compound for the compounding and polishing procedures? You are just using different pads. Orange pad for compounding and black pad for polishing? Thanks

In most cases I level the peel with 1500 but if I'm painting with my Sagola 4500 I can usually go straight to 3000 because there is little or no orange peel. If, for some reason the orange peel is bad I may start with 1000 or 1200 grit then go to 1500 and 3000. And if the paint is real hard I will usually finish my sanding with 5000 grit Trizact so that the polishing goes more quickly.

Yes, I'm using only Wizards Mystic Cut to polish and, in most cases, only the orange pad but for dark colors I'll either go over the surface with the black foam pad or switch to the Makita BO6040 machine (in forced rotation mode) to finish the job.