PDA

View Full Version : secret solution???

TheCoatingStore.com

Headhunter
08-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone knows how to make the blending solution the detailing guys use when they fill rock chips in on auto paint. They use a solution right after filling the chip, that wipes off the overspray just outside the chip, but doesn't wipe off the fresh paint in the chip itself. Some say watered down thinner, but that seems to smear the paint in the chip too. Dr Colorchip calls theirs Sealact blending solution. Any ideas?
Thanks...

LS6
08-10-2014, 12:58 AM
Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone knows how to make the blending solution the detailing guys use when they fill rock chips in on auto paint. They use a solution right after filling the chip, that wipes off the overspray just outside the chip, but doesn't wipe off the fresh paint in the chip itself. Some say watered down thinner, but that seems to smear the paint in the chip too. Dr Colorchip calls theirs Sealact blending solution. Any ideas?
Thanks...

Scratch Wizard has a similar solution. I suspect that it's some type of mineral spirits type thinner, but I don't know for sure? The Doctor Color Chip kit doesn't work well for scratches because the color won't stay in the scratch when you swipe.

Scratch Wizard fills the scratch ( if it's deep enough ) with a red glazing putty ( Bondo ) that looks really great, until you apply the touch up paint. Even though, their touch up paint is thinner than dealer touch up paint, it still shows because it's thicker than the original finish. Scratch Wizard touch up paint comes with a hardener. ( 75% color / 25% hardener )

Bottom line, in my opinion ...... there is no touch up system that isn't noticeable.
I'm reminded of a question that someone on this site, put to Len Stuart a couple of years ago ..........

He asked Len, if filling paint chips would be noticeable. Len replied ... " Not from across the street. "

I personally, don't think there is any scratch or chip repair that really works. Maybe a SMALL chip repair with Dr Color Chip might not be so noticeable, but larger ones ? And, with scratch repair, if there was a way to just STAIN the glazing putty into same color of the car, without brushing on a ' thick layer ' of touch up paint that stands out like a sore thumb.

Maybe some day? But for now, if it's bad looking and it bothers me ( they all bother me ) I get it fixed.
LS6

Skalabala
08-13-2014, 02:39 AM
You need to wet sand the touch-up.
I prep the area with P600 sanding in one direction.
Then fill the chip with automotive paint(the paint seeps and blends into the P600 scratches)
Then wet sand with P1000 and then go to P2000
Always use a stiff backing for the sand paper :)

Henry
08-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Then fill the chip with automotive paint(the paint seeps and blends into the P600 scratches)

Sounds kind of crude as you're not talking about a nice OEM type finish. Sand the chip, put on base? then clear? More detail please.

Henry

LS6
08-13-2014, 06:19 PM

That definitely helps. However, the touch up fill of of the chip will never flow all the way into ( or next to ) the original surface, so you are left with small craters around the edge of the chip, which will then need additional touch up paint, then more sanding and polishing, which still will not do away with smaller craters, especially if, you use any polish that leaves white residue.

No matter what you do, you will still have an imperfect repair. It MAY be better than leaving the original bare chip showing, but sometimes the cure can be worse that the disease.
I suppose it all depends on how particular you are? It can never approach the original OEM finish.
LS6

Skalabala
08-14-2014, 02:14 AM
Sounds kind of crude as you're not talking about a nice OEM type finish. Sand the chip, put on base? then clear? More detail please.

Henry

Works great and looks superb when doing it like this bud :)
This only works with 2K.
Base and clear is just a fail :p

Skalabala
08-14-2014, 02:19 AM
That definitely helps. However, the touch up fill of of the chip will never flow all the way into ( or next to ) the original surface, so you are left with small craters around the edge of the chip, which will then need additional touch up paint, then more sanding and polishing, which still will not do away with smaller craters, especially if, you use any polish that leaves white residue.

No matter what you do, you will still have an imperfect repair. It MAY be better than leaving the original bare chip showing, but sometimes the cure can be worse that the disease.
I suppose it all depends on how particular you are? It can never approach the original OEM finish.
LS6

I fill the chip a few times before any sanding :)
You want the touch-up paint to blend into the old paint that has been sanded open, so that the touch-up paint bonds to the fresh old paint.
If you do not do it like this especially with white it leaves a brown edge :(

LS6
08-17-2014, 08:16 PM
I fill the chip a few times before any sanding :)
You want the touch-up paint to blend into the old paint that has been sanded open, so that the touch-up paint bonds to the fresh old paint.
If you do not do it like this especially with white it leaves a brown edge :(

That makes sense.
Thanks!
LS6