PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Len on his method of Color sanding and buffing

TheCoatingStore.com

HotRodMan
07-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Len, I noticed you mentioned that you sand with 1500 grit then 3000 grit with the DA, then polish.

1. Are you using an intermediate pad under the sandpaper or attaching the sandpaper directly to the pad?

2. Are you still using the spray bottle filled with water to wet the panel?

3. What method and material are you using in areas you can not get the sander in?

Bob K
07-20-2014, 01:06 AM
I'm not Len but I'll tell you what I do. Len probably does a better job but my method is just for myself.

1 I use a Trizact clear coat sanding disc on an AirVantage sander hard disk for large moderately flat areas. I use an interface pad when there is a lot of contour to deal with, which comes to about 10% of the time.

2 I set my garden hose on the car with the nozzle set to put out a fine mist spray. On a trunk for instance I have the hose on the roof with the nozzle on the back window. A fine mist sprays into the air and falls near the center of the trunk lid. As I move the sander around I get it into the water spray and pick up water. Don't think there is a lot of water, that's not the case. To much water and the sanding disk floods and floats to prevent cutting, just enough water to keep the sanding residue flowing away. Kind of a milky film of water slowly flowing away from the sander.

3 When the sander won't go into a space I do nothing about it. If the sander won't go there the buffer won't go either. Those little areas get left the way they came out of the gun.

For the most part I only buff to get rid of dust nibs from painting in a not to good booth. I don't do it for show car perfection. Len may have other techniques for perfection.

Bob K

Len
07-20-2014, 05:49 AM
Len, I noticed you mentioned that you sand with 1500 grit then 3000 grit with the DA, then polish.

1. Are you using an intermediate pad under the sandpaper or attaching the sandpaper directly to the pad?

2. Are you still using the spray bottle filled with water to wet the panel?

3. What method and material are you using in areas you can not get the sander in?

1. Yes, like Bob, I use an interface pad on surfaces with shape to them and I use just the sander's pad on flatter surfaces.

2. Yes, I use a spray bottle most of the time and sometimes I'll use a hose.

3. I'll either leave those areas alone or I'll sand and polish by hand. In most cases I'll use some wet 2500 for hand sanding.