PDA

View Full Version : Candy paint base

TheCoatingStore.com

ricks2524
06-27-2014, 08:40 AM
I'm planning on a 2-tone paint job on a motorcycle. White and Candy Red panels. Can I use the gloss white for the base color for candy apple red?

Len
06-27-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm planning on a 2-tone paint job on a motorcycle. White and Candy Red panels. Can I use the gloss white for the base color for candy apple red?

In most cases a metallic silver or gold is used under the translucent candy coat. I would think that white may not give you the candy effect you're looking for. It would be best if you could spray a test panel to see the result you'll get.

Phil V
06-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Gloss white would indicate a single stage white paint. You should be using a basecoat white. Actually white makes a good base for candy apple paint.
I restored a 1967 Triumph T100C motorcycle about ten years ago for myself and it was candy blue over a white base (factory colors) and everyone that looked at the bike liked the color.

The following picture is of a bike that looks exactly the same as mine in the blue candy over a white base. ( I don't have any digital images of my bike, just hard copy prints).

http://joesvcycle.net/wp-content/gallery/restorations/picture-365a.jpg