PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique My Plan/Ideas

TheCoatingStore.com

DieseLife
04-21-2014, 12:40 AM
Shooting single stage white on my truck and a friends car. There is no rush and will be done one or two panels at a time. We will be helping each other out.

We are thinking about just block sanding with 1500 wet followed by 3000 wet. I do have a Home Depot brand DA, there are no throw specs but i can try measure. Should we consider that route instead of by hand?

For polishing we will use Mystic Cut since everyone recommends it. But all i have is a random orbital buffer. I believe i read it can be used for the mystic cut but will take longer than a rotary. Is this true?

Thanks

Len
04-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Shooting single stage white on my truck and a friends car. There is no rush and will be done one or two panels at a time. We will be helping each other out.

We are thinking about just block sanding with 1500 wet followed by 3000 wet. I do have a Home Depot brand DA, there are no throw specs but i can try measure. Should we consider that route instead of by hand?

For polishing we will use Mystic Cut since everyone recommends it. But all i have is a random orbital buffer. I believe i read it can be used for the mystic cut but will take longer than a rotary. Is this true?

Thanks

Sanding by hand takes a lot longer and is a lot more difficult but, at one time, it was the only way to color sand. With the proper orbital sander you can do the sanding much more quickly and easily.

As far as polishing goes a random orbital does a very slow job, it can take several hours to do one panel. If you can LOCK the rotation it can go a lot faster. We normally use a rotary buffer to remove sanding scratches then a locked orbital to finish the job.

DieseLife
04-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Ok we will get us an orbital then.

Would our home depot Husky DA work for the color sanding? If not we will do it by hand.

Len
04-21-2014, 05:23 PM
Ok we will get us an orbital then.

Would our home depot Husky DA work for the color sanding? If not we will do it by hand.

The ability of a 6" sander to deal with color sanding depends on two things....

1. A low center of gravity so that the sander doesn't tend to tilt cutting heavily on one side or the other and...
2. A 3/32" or 3/16" throw so that it's easy to control the amount of the cut.

We are big fans of the AirVantage sanders for this job, they have a good price for a great sander.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/avnon.jpg
LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ABS&Category_Code=T)

DieseLife
04-22-2014, 05:22 PM
We will probably block sand. As buying both an Airvantage and Makita 9227 are not in the budget right now and were only talking about two cars.

Unless we would be better off with a cheaper polisher thant he makita, then we can afford the airvantage.

Are there any polishers recommended that arent quite as pricya s the 9227?

Bob K
04-22-2014, 09:36 PM
I would be hard pressed to operate without my AirVantage or my Makitta 9227. I use them both a lot and not just on cars. I put a 6" diamond cup on the makitta and grind concrete floors to flatten them for tile instillation. I put a cup of water on the floor and run the Mikitta at slow speed. It grinds the floor and doesn't make a spec of dust. It turns slow with a great deal of force but the slow rotation doesn't fling water and concrete slop all over the room. I also have a 7-1/4" diamond blade I put on it and cut sheetrock or plaster when installing windows and doors in existing walls. The diamond blade is safe and cuts well spinning slow so as to make minimal dust. I use my AirVantage on my wood working projects. These are two tools that you can get a lot of service from outside the car body world. My personal advice is to skip a few trips to a restaurant or other and buy them both with the money saved from someplace else. They are both excellent tools.

Bob K

DieseLife
04-22-2014, 09:41 PM
That kind of talk is the reason i ended up with a sagola 4500 instead of a finishline!

You guys are a bad influence

What about the ATD unit Len sells? Especially since it will only be used for two vehicles most likely, its half the price of the makita.

DieseLife
04-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Looks like the ATD doesnt have automatic speed control like the makita. Is that a problem for a beginner?

Len
04-22-2014, 11:18 PM
The biggest problem with a low cost polisher is the low torque. When you begin to polish at a slow speed to remove the sanding scratches you can't put pressure on the pad without slowing or stopping the rotation. To compensate you would increase the speed so the pressure would slow the rotation to the proper speed but this method is a lot trickier to control and it's easy to cause damage trying to control the speed using pressure on the pad. The 9227 can maintain a slow rotation no matter how much pressure is applied. The same high and low cost machines can be used for stripping a car and the same low torque variable of the low cost machine can cause problems in that part of the job as well.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/makita9227cx3.jpg (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=MAK9227CX3&Category_Code=T2)

Henry
04-23-2014, 03:20 PM
That kind of talk is the reason i ended up with a sagola 4500 instead of a finishline!

You guys are a bad influence

What about the ATD unit Len sells? Especially since it will only be used for two vehicles most likely, its half the price of the makita.

Your effort and result will be affected either in a positive or negative way.

Hands down I would opt for the Makita 9227 over any DA for colorsanding. When you order your Makita, tell Len I said to throw in a 2" x 3" black rubber sanding block with it. (Len feel free to bill me for it) - the sanding pad not the Makita.

You can always hand sand wet with the block I want you to use (unless you already have one). Buffing is an art that you can't afford to play games with. Besides, it's the finishing touch to all that prep and can create something beautiful or ruin all that time money and you start again. DO NOT buy that AirVantage over the Makita 9227 buffer which is also a top of the line sander for paint removal. Foget that ATD also.

Henry

DieseLife
04-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Well i guess im going with the 9227 as soon as i can afford it. I will definately get the sanding block. I have quite a Few things im getting ready to orderf rom Len.

But did you say the 9227 can be used for colorsanding??? That would be great if it can! I imagine you would need a pretty cushy interface pad for that?

Len
04-23-2014, 09:40 PM
Well i guess im going with the 9227 as soon as i can afford it. I will definately get the sanding block. I have quite a Few things im getting ready to orderf rom Len.

But did you say the 9227 can be used for colorsanding??? That would be great if it can! I imagine you would need a pretty cushy interface pad for that?

No the 9227 is too aggressive for color sanding, it's good for stripping the paint off at the beginning of the job and polishing the paint at the end of the job. Leave the color sanding up to a "good" orbital sander or color sand by hand.

DieseLife
04-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Gotcha, i must have misunderstood. And Henry thanks for the kind block offer, but i cant accept that. You guys are then ones helping out a beginner, i should be buying yall somehing!

Well we will be hand sanding then, and investing in a makita.

Is this a good block for wet sanding the finish or do yall suggest a different one?

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=MOTRL1m&Category_Code=T2

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=3m5526&Category_Code=T

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=DRBAF4405&Category_Code=TFSL

Len
04-23-2014, 10:23 PM
Gotcha, i must have misunderstood. And Henry thanks for the kind block offer, but i cant accept that. You guys are then ones helping out a beginner, i should be buying yall somehing!

Well we will be hand sanding then, and investing in a makita.

Is this a good block for wet sanding the finish or do yall suggest a different one?

I'll tell you what, I have an overstock of rubber wet sanding blocks so if you (or anyone else) buys a Makita 9227 in the next couple weeks I'll send you one of these blocks.

DieseLife
04-24-2014, 12:01 AM
I just edited my previous post, i forgot to include the links.

Are one of those preferred? Should i have more than one for sanding different curves and such?

Len
04-24-2014, 05:59 AM
I just edited my previous post, i forgot to include the links.

Are one of those preferred? Should i have more than one for sanding different curves and such?

No, it's not like sanding filler where different blocks are used for different shapes. One of these blocks is used by wrapping some fine wet sanding paper around it and leveling the orange peel and dust nibs before polishing.