PDA

View Full Version : Hutchins Model 2001

Arnolt
08-08-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm considering buying a Hutchins Model 2001 and would like to get your collective opinions about it. Seems like an interesting design. My first application will be to take a car with only a thin coat of primer and some surface rust down to bare metal. Are there better choices for the job?

Phil V
08-08-2006, 09:30 PM
The 2001 is an excellent top of the line tool. It would do an excellent job for what you have planned. BUT the Makita 9227C will do just as nice a job doing the same thing, and when you're done painting then with the Makita you still have the best buffer available. The Hutchins 2001 makes for a crappy buffer but an excellent hard to beat rotary geared sander.

Dennis N. Schmidt
08-08-2006, 11:15 PM
I've got the vacuum version of the 2001 and honestly I seldom use it. I prefer a mudhog to it and as Phil states it's s lousy buffer not to mention it consumes a ton of air. This is one of those tools that seemed like a good idea at the time but now I actually wonder why I ever bought it.

Len
08-08-2006, 11:56 PM
While I agree with Phil about the Makita 9227 versus the Hutchins 2001 I probably would not choose the 2001 even if I stuck with a Hutchins. The 2006 is a later machine and while I would still prefer the Makita over it I'd choose the 2006 before the 2001. The 2006 weighs less uses a little less air and uses a 6" pad which I prefer for most polishing. However the 2006 still an air buffer that I've found less appealing than electric. Good electric sander/buffers have automatic speed control and can be set to rotate at different speeds depending on the jobs that are being done. Also when using electric the cord is a lot less likely to do damage to the car than the hose and is easier to keep out of the way. One more thing, portability.... you can polish a car with electric almost anywhere with electricity but air needs a compressor.