PDA

View Full Version : Polishing a tailgate

TheCoatingStore.com

tbm3fan
01-29-2014, 09:59 PM
Tried doing my tailgate a little different from the bed body. Started off with a new 1500 clear coat disc, then a 3000 trizact and last a 4000 pad. This time I was going to try the Sure Finish orange pad with Wizard's instead of a wool pad. The paint polished up very fast and I thought great. Great until I got the light right and saw that the orange pas created far more swirl marks than the wool pad ever did. Wasn't happy about that since I knew that getting them out would take hours which it did. So I used the orange pad on my Makita set for forced orbital and pretty much spent and hour on each 1 sq. ft. section to cut down the swirls. Not all out but from what I had before was the worst I had ever seen. Oh, and I needed Wizard's to get them out as the Sure Finish couldn't do a thing.

Don't know why the orange pad would do that but it is back to the wool pad for polishing out after color sanding. Spent more time on the tailgate than one whole side of a long bed truck. Live and learn.

Len
01-29-2014, 10:10 PM
Tried doing my tailgate a little different from the bed body. Started off with a new 1500 clear coat disc, then a 3000 trizact and last a 4000 pad. This time I was going to try the Sure Finish orange pad with Wizard's instead of a wool pad. The paint polished up very fast and I thought great. Great until I got the light right and saw that the orange pas created far more swirl marks than the wool pad ever did. Wasn't happy about that since I knew that getting them out would take hours which it did. So I used the orange pad on my Makita set for forced orbital and pretty much spent and hour on each 1 sq. ft. section to cut down the swirls. Not all out but from what I had before was the worst I had ever seen. Oh, and I needed Wizard's to get them out as the Sure Finish couldn't do a thing.

Don't know why the orange pad would do that but it is back to the wool pad for polishing out after color sanding. Spent more time on the tailgate than one whole side of a long bed truck. Live and learn.

Hmm, we use those orange pads almost exclusively and don't find that they generate too many swirls. Do you think you could have had a dirty pad? If you have any dirt then wool pads tend to be more forgiving.

Yes, the Wizard's does cut faster than the Sure Finish.

86camaroman
01-30-2014, 10:01 AM
meguairs m101 cuts fast. Use that with there burgundy pad. I then use menzerna 4500 I believe it is with meguiars yellow pad. Looks like a wet dream. Ive used about every compound and manufacturers pad I havent seen one last longer or cut better then the meguiars at least not for me. I used to use m205 for polishing but after trying the menzerna it give a slightly quicker better gloss while removing swirl marks

tbm3fan
01-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Hmm, we use those orange pads almost exclusively and don't find that they generate too many swirls. Do you think you could have had a dirty pad? If you have any dirt then wool pads tend to be more forgiving.

Yes, the Wizard's does cut faster than the Sure Finish.

The pad is always kept in a zip lock bag so nothing can get to it.

The other thing I have learned is that the panels where I hand sand in a cross-hatched pattern turn out better than those where a 1500 clear coat disc was used. Even when using a new disc flooded with water there still turns up numerous deeper round scratches from the disc. This can be seen after buffing everything out and then putting light to the surface and the hand sanded panels have far less issues other than time.

Len
01-30-2014, 03:24 PM
The pad is always kept in a zip lock bag so nothing can get to it.

The other thing I have learned is that the panels where I hand sand in a cross-hatched pattern turn out better than those where a 1500 clear coat disc was used. Even when using a new disc flooded with water there still turns up numerous deeper round scratches from the disc. This can be seen after buffing everything out and then putting light to the surface and the hand sanded panels have far less issues other than time.

We use 1500 and 3000 grit Trizact disks before buffing on every car we paint then we polish with a Sure Finish orange pad using Wizard's Mystic Cut and we never get scratches showing unless we pick up dirt from the paint. We are doing mostly show car finishes so we are very particular about the finer touches and scratches would make us use different materials and methods. You have a problem but it's not coming from these materials.