PDA

View Full Version : Fine Scratches. What From???

TheCoatingStore.com

Reliabilityman
12-29-2013, 10:40 PM
Here is a picture of the fine scratches I am constantly seeing after final polish. Here were the steps I performed: 3 coats of clear, wet sand with 1500, then 2000, then 2500. Buff usins Mystics turbo cut and wool pad, then polish with Mystic final cut/polish with foam pad. I dont know where these scratches came from at what step in the process, but I have gone back over a couple of times buffing then polished and they are still there. What else should I try am I not buffing enough?.13016

Reliabilityman
12-29-2013, 10:53 PM
I did take everyones advice and worked down the orange peel. See before and after pictures just cant figure out what the fine scratches are from and how to get rid of them.1301813017

Len
12-29-2013, 11:35 PM
If the scratches are straight line scratches then they are probably from not removing them with a fine sandpaper before polishing. If the scratches are swirls in the surface then they are probably from the polishing pad and polish being used.

style
12-30-2013, 01:52 AM
did you have a lot of dirt in your paint after you shot it.. how did you color sand it with a bucket with water or a spray bottle with water tell me your complete process in detail..

Reliabilityman
12-30-2013, 09:53 AM
did you have a lot of dirt in your paint after you shot it.. how did you color sand it with a bucket with water or a spray bottle with water tell me your complete process in detail..

Yes there was a lot of dirt since I dont have a paint booth and with the cold temperatures my gas furnace it blew junk in it constantly (I hate painting when its cold for this reason). I color sanded it using both a sponge sometimes to apply the water and or a spray bottle. I soaked my paper. I made sure the water I was using was clean and changed it out often. I Started with a hard rubber pad and 1500, then would squeegie off the water to check how much of the orange peel I was getting, then repeat the process until the orange peel was down enough, then went with a soft pad using 2000, squeegie then 2500 squeegie. Then mystic turbo cut on a wool pad using the pad cleaner after each panel and a handfull of water, then mystic final cut (swiral mark remover I believe its called) on foam pad cleaning the foam pad after each panel. Len asked if it was swirling marks and it appears so. You really dont see them until the final step of polish. I dont know if that is just the nature of the scratch showing up at the very end.

Reliabilityman
12-30-2013, 09:59 AM
I just looked it was Mystic Final Touch no swirl compound for the final touch with the foam pad. Do I need to try something finer in a polish to get these scratches out? Should I use a machine glase?

Len
12-30-2013, 03:43 PM
I just looked it was Mystic Final Touch no swirl compound for the final touch with the foam pad. Do I need to try something finer in a polish to get these scratches out? Should I use a machine glase?

It sounds like the dirt could have cause those scratches. Normally you want to remove the dirt with a Nib File or small sanding block before you start to level the orange peel. By removing the nibs first there's a lot less chance of the dirt getting trapped under a sander or polisher and digging into the paint while you sand or buff.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/NibFile.jpg
Nib File Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ABS&Product_Code=S35250t&Category_Code=T2)

Once you have deep scratches in the paint you either need to sand and polish them out, prep and repaint the surface or fill the scratches with glaze but the glaze method is very temporary.