PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have links/info about Paint Booth airflow..

Carrameow
08-04-2006, 06:40 AM
Does anyone have links/info about Paint Booth airflow? I'm trying to prepare my first job methodically and carefully.
It suddenly dawned on me that I really hadn't considered air flow dynamics and exhaust filtering for my garage. I don't just want to throw open the garage door and turn a fan, maybe i can rig up something a little more creative.
After all I am an engineer which makes me either more foolish or more easily fooled, but i would like to study this. I didnt even realize they have special filters for paint exhaust for spray paint booths!!
Can anyone please point me to links that explain paint booth airflow principles? Finally if I ever chance upon 5 acres i will do this right.

CDJr
08-04-2006, 07:18 AM
What I did was.......for exhaust, I took the blower assembly from a central heating unit and mounted it through the wall on one end of the garage and made a box around it to hold filters. Then for intake, I made a simple filter rack the size of my door opening on the other end of the garage so that it holds like eight 20x30 filters (two thick and four tall), and helps cut down on incoming dust when I paint. It moves plenty of air without causing a noticeable stream through the garage. :)

Carrameow
08-04-2006, 07:25 AM
Do paint booth filters at the exhaust help trap VOC's (Volatile Organic Compunds) and reduce odor emission? I saw some on Smartshoppers Inc

Rod (NH)
08-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Does anyone have links/info about Paint Booth airflow? I'm trying to prepare my first job methodically and carefully.
It suddenly dawned on me that I really hadn't considered air flow dynamics and exhaust filtering for my garage. I don't just want to throw open the garage door and turn a fan, maybe i can rig up something a little more creative.
After all I am an engineer which makes me either more foolish or more easily fooled, but i would like to study this. I didnt even realize they have special filters for paint exhaust for spray paint booths!!
Can anyone please point me to links that explain paint booth airflow principles? Finally if I ever chance upon 5 acres i will do this right.

Hi,

The formal airflow requirement for paint spray booths is 100 FPM average velocity over the both cross section. Take the booth cross sectional area in square feet and multiply by 100 to get the airflow CFM requirement. This is the basic minimum flow established by OSHA for regulatory approvals. You can find that, along with a lot of other paint spray booth requirements in 29CFR1910.107, available here: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9753

The American Conference of Governmental and Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) publishes a handbook titled Industrial Ventilation which provides some guidance for design of such booths from an airflow standpoint. Unfortunately that information is only available for sale at their website (~$100) so I can't link to it. I have an older edition of that book and could scan and post a page on a cross draft booth if you are seriously interested.

Basic filters are for control of particulate matter such as overspray. They should not be expected to trap odors or VOCs.

Rod

Nostalgic Dave
08-07-2006, 02:50 AM
Here is a good article on paintbooth airflow and pressure levels for both postive and negative pressure booths.

http://dodconf.swri.org/2003Papers/Thelen.pdf

Carrameow
08-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi,

The formal airflow requirement for paint spray booths is 100 FPM average velocity over the both cross section. Take the booth cross sectional area in square feet and multiply by 100 to get the airflow CFM requirement.

For average homeowner painting at home in 10 x 14 garage = 140 sq ft
140 sq ft x 100= 1400 CFM