PDA

View Full Version : proper angle of buffer questio

TheCoatingStore.com

Reliabilityman
12-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Been researching cut and buff methods online. My makita manual says for wool pads hold the buffer at 15 degrees of angle from the work surface at the center of the buffer. But I've noticed it appears that when guys are using a foam pad they hold the pad almost flat on the workpiece. Are these two techniques correct?

Len
12-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Been researching city and buff methods online. My makita manual says for wool pads hold the buffer at 15 degrees of angle from the work surface at the center of the buffer. But I've noticed it appears that when guys are using a foam pad they hold the pad almost flat on the workpiece. Are these two techniques correct?

If we're buffing on a flat (or almost flat) surface we usually buff with the pad hitting on the R/H side while the L/H side is just off the surface. We increase this angle when the shape of the metal demands it. In most cases the pad is contacting the surface between 12 and 3 or 4 o-clock during flat surface polishing. Trying to buff holding the pad flat on the surface will usually cause the machine to jump around and hard to control so all that's needed is to take the pressure off of one side to get a steady machine.

Reliabilityman
12-12-2013, 12:33 PM
If we're buffing on a flat (or almost flat) surface we usually buff with the pad hitting on the R/H side while the L/H side is just off the surface. We increase this angle when the shape of the metal demands it. In most cases the pad is contacting the surface between 12 and 3 or 4 o-clock during flat surface polishing. Trying to buff holding the pad flat on the surface will usually cause the machine to jump around and hard to control so all that's needed is to take the pressure off of one side to get a steady machine.

Thanks Len that helps